What's new

Ever fallen in love with a place? (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
There are some places in Wrangell St Elias that I've fallen in love with, however, I don't think the NPS would allow me to live there...

Jay

todd s

Senior HTF Member

Scott, If you love Yellowstone. Try to visit Yosemite in California. When I was in HS we went on a camping trip there for a week. Simply amazing.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Real love always is. :) Merely rational love does not produce great cities. If I like a place and can tell you all the reasons I like it, I might stop liking if some of the reasons change. But if I love a place simply for being itself I'll still love it even if everything seems to change. I haven't lived in New York in nearly 20 years and haven't even visited in more than four, but it is still home to me.

Another place I love is Annapolis. I lived there for a couple of years in the 70s and thought it was one of the prettiest little towns I'd ever seen, set in beautiful countryside and close enough to D.C. and Baltimore to satisfy my periodic need for way too many people and the smell of ooncrete and bus exhaust.

Regards,

Joe

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike

Been in Seattle just over two months now and the only things I miss from Detroit are the coneys and competent drivers.

The place that really grabbed me was New Orleans. I first visited while researching colleges and wound up going to Tulane until the funds ran dry. That was a magical city and it breaks my heart that it'll never again be the same as I remember it.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Another cliche, but my hometown, Bozeman, is my favorite. I have lived in Southwest Montana my whole life. I know I miss out on many things on a daily basis, but thats why I make a point to travel as much as I can and see other places. But I alway LOVE to come home. Mountains, open land, outdoor activities. I cant be without it for too long.

I live 1 hour from Yellowstone. I agree, its amazing. Maybe you alrady have, but nearby Jackson, Bozeman, and Paradise Valley are worth visiting. If your interestes include the outdoors, there are many things around Yellowstone worth seeing. The Absorkee Beartooth mountains north of Yellowstone are absolutly incredible.

We took a 5 day camping trip a couple years ago. Here we are at an elevation of 9,600 feet, 8 hours from the nearest town.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Spent a little time there myself (during that same lonely period) and would definitely like to go back to see more. Related to that, Jonatha Brooke's song "West Point" is actually a case of mistaken identity. She was actually thinking of the Naval Academy when she wrote the song. :D

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
I used to love this, too. I used to sit up there in complete silence with the OOD (I was an RO) just enjoying the night air. It was a sort of solitude that you just can't find anywhere.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
From a military family so we moved around a ton, to both coasts and in between. DC area is ok though I still feel I haven't found "home" yet.

*Cue emo music

If I had enough balls I'd do what Ethan Hawke did in Before Sunrise and tour Europe solo. ;)

Hugh Jackes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hugh Jackes
If you go to Yosemite and then hike up the MIst Trail, past Vernal Falls and Nevada Falls. Atop the second set of falls, and before the trail forks off to the top of Half Dome, there is about 3 miles of hiking through a little glen called Little Yosemite Valley. Stunning.

Santa Catalina Island, off the southern California coast.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Jeremy, on each of my three trips to Yellowstone, I've also made trips down to the Tetons and Jackson Hole. While the area is beautiful, we enjoy Yellowstone much more. BTW, we flew into Bozeman the last two times we visited. I love the airport, and it seems to be the easiest fly/drive option for getting to the park. Driving from Michigan is a long, tedious journey. :)

BTW, Yosemite is still on our "to visit" list. My wife and I love the national parks, but we have not made it there yet. This summer's plan is to visit Banff and Jasper in the Canadian Rockies.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I love many places—but the one that is irrational is Caracas.

My wife feels the same way about Jakarta (a city I don’t much like).

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
What? No Mall of America? :D

My two favorite places on earth are San Francisco and Stockholm, Sweden.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Why do people feel the need to throw in gratuitous insults in a thread like this? We're celebrating places we love. No reason to go out of our way to spit on places other people love. (I note that the people most apt to do this sort of thing are also the ones who endlessly complain about New Yorkers having "bad manners." Pot, meet kettle. Kettle, meet pot.)

Malcolm, I'm glad you're happy in Vermont and that you're fond of the Pacific Northwest. And I, too, hope you never have to visit New York again, because you'd clearly make the city just that tiny bit less fun. :)

Regards,

Joe

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

I've always wondered about observations about "rude" New Yorkers. To us Bostonians, New Yorkers are downright civil (excluding Yankee fans of course. Then again most of the Yankee fans we see are from Connecticut).;)

DavidBL

Stunt Coordinator
Havasupai, Arizona. Google it (or Google Image it). You have to hike 10 miles to get there, but it's unbelievable, a blue mineral spring/river/waterfall system that flows north into the Grand Canyon. It's on Havasu Indian land and you have to make reservations months in advance to secure a camping spot. Isolation and beauty that's hard to find anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks