What's new

Ever edited your own version of a movie? (1 Viewer)

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
When A Stranger Calls.

The beginning is horror classic. The middle hour just sucks. The last 15 minutes are good again, but dont reach the first 20.

So I edited the first 20 minutes and the last 15 together cutting out the whole hour inbetween.

Funny thing is it works extremely well, is much better as a whole, and you cant really even tell anything was edited.

Roger_R

Second Unit
"Eventually I concluded that because the video was running at 23.98fps, not 24fps, the audio was getting ahead ever-so-slightly. This doesn't make much sense to me, because when played back on an ordinary DVD player they stay perfectly in sync. So next time I attempt my edit, I'll have to slow the audio down by the equivalent of 0.02fps to match the video. I tried doing this in Final Cut, but it doesn't give you great control over audio." - If you use AC3-streams, I recommend BeSweet for fixing the audio speed. It lets you type in the current framerate and a target framerate and it'll automatically fix the speed (no pitch-correcting fortunately) and re-encode the stream. http://dspguru.doom9.net/

Nick Laslett

Stunt Coordinator
I've just done my own edit of the Two Towers, inspired a little bit by this thread, and from finding out about the existence of the purist's edit of the Two Towers which cuts out nearly 40 mins of footage.

There was only one change I wanted to make. I hate the conclusion to the Warg fight, how Legolas, Gimili & Theoden react to the supposed death of Aragorn. It infuriates me that PJ put in the whole fake death thing. When Aragorn finally turns up at Helem's Deep, Legolas reacts like he knew he was still alive all along. What is that all about? Anyway, I never bought there reasons for having this sequence. Aragorn does not need to see the Uruk-Hai army to be aware of it's existance. He has already fought Uruk-Hai in the fellowship so he knows how deadly they are. Gandalf was at Orthanc when Saruman was building the army so he is aware of it. I just make the assumption that Gandalf told Aragorn about the Urak-Hai army. This allows his dialogue at Helm's deep to still play.

Anyway here are my edits.

Take chapter 38: Arwen’s dicussion with Elrond and leaving Rivendell with other elves. (Chapter 39 is Elrond’s telepathic dialogue with Galadriel.)

Insert this chapter after Chapter 33. So that instead of the start of the Warg attack it goes into this scene. The follow of the action before this matches perfectly. Because it is scenes concerning Aragorn and Arwen. The dialogue in Chapter 33 finishes with Aragorn saying that Arwen is returning to the undying lands.

You then jump to Chapter 35 with Eowyn arriving at Helm’s deep. You edit this chapter so that the piece about Aragorn’s fall is omitted and go straight from Eowyn’s arrival to Theoden standing on the Deeping wall. There is a long pan out to show the whole of the keep, this is the perfect place to cut to the shot of Theoden standing at the Deeping wall.

You can then let the film run as already planned, except the sequence with Arwen & Elrond (Chapter 38) now goes straight to Elrond (chapter39).

There is only one more edit required.

Take chapter 43 and edit the first 3mins so that it starts with Theoden and Aragorn walking around Helm’s deep discussing tactics. You have to loose the spinning pan as Aragorn arrives by horse at Helm’s Deep and you also have to loose the door opening shot. A compromise worth making if it eradicates the false death.

There are a lot of scenes between Eowyn’s arrival at Helm’s Deep and Aragorn’s return. So many that you do not even question how they all arrived at Helm’s Deep you just assume that Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli all arrived at Helm’s Deep at the same time as Eowyn and Theoden. I was surprised by how little effect these changes had on the narrative flow.

Mark-C

Stunt Coordinator
I would like to see Robocop 2 with the original films score and a few cuts,
and
Terminator 3 with a T1/T2 hybrid score and maybe losing the Dr Silberman scene.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
If all you're doing is basic cut and paste type editing, it isn't too hard if you set your mind to it. If you're interested, I can PM you some locations of good guides and tools. They can be used for good and evil, much like nuclear power and silly putty, so I don't think I should post them here.

However, I am expecting to have to dedicate some amount of time for sound and soundtrack editing, which is not going to be that easy. I'm still researching on the best tools and approaches for that. After actually coming up with an edit, I expect that will be the next hardest thing to do.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Just exactly what I was going to send.

As far as tools, basic editing software doesn't get much better than VirtualDub. That's my method for building my rough cut.

Note that few tools are super friendly, in fact many are command line interface based, but you can do some professional level stuff with them if you apply yourself.

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
Alex: as far as music/sound editing goes, I know that Adobe Audition (Formerly Cool Edit Pro) is VERY easy to use, is pretty damned powerful, and even has capabilities for SMTPE time code sync up for editing movies. It can display time in both minutes and seconds AND frame-rate, to easier match up sound with picture. Hell, it'll rip the sound from the video FOR you.

I haven't edited too many soundclips to video, but the capability IS there, and It's cake to use--I've made a fair amount of music with it, myself.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Great suggestion. I'll check it out.

Also, if anyone has the patience to wade through it, I'd be happy to hear any feedback on the edits. I had made some changes based on our earlier discussions, most of them leading to what I expect will be a much better version.

Mark E J

Second Unit
I've actually been thinking about re-editing some of my dvds for a while. in fact I just upgraded my PC for just that purpose. However I could use some advice about how to get started.

My system is a 3ghz P4 with a 800mhz FSB, 512RAM, 80GIG HD, running Windows XP.

What's the best software to edit my dvds? What kind of Ripping, editing, and authoring programs should I get to get the best results? Is there any way to get your own cut of a dvd without loosing the 5.1 track?

I'm new to this so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Colin Sims

Agent
I've edited my own versions of movies twice. Both very minor but because the particular scenes annoyed the hell out of me.

1. GHOST - The scene where Swayze and his friend are in the elevator at the beginning of the film coughing etc and pretending that one of them has a contagious rash. My version just moves seamlessly with the pair walking into their workplace and into the office.

2. Austin Powers 3. Bitney Spears' cameo is removed completely.

My brother always spoke of removing the Jeremy Irons Uber-Morlock from Time Machine (2002). In that case its much more enjoyable just to watch the original 1960 version.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks