What's new

Evening with Kevin Smith DVD (1 Viewer)

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
BTW Watch the main menus for a few minutes, pretty funny when Kevin gets 'pissed ' because your not selecting anything

Henry C

Stunt Coordinator
As a casual fan, I really enjoyed this DVD. Lots of insight into the man and his movies. Very funny and he is a great story teller. I sat there and listened to the Superman/Prince stories being totally engrossed. A great DVD!

Henry

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
This is great to hear that alot of people are loving and enjoying this DVD set.

I do agree that the Superman and Prince stories are really engrossing.

Forgot to mention thatTarget has this for $19.99, about the cheepest I've seen it

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Considering I was at one of these talks (Towson State), this DVD was a no-brainer. He might not be able to act, but he is certainly a good public speaker and quick-witted.

Jason

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
Having listened to all ten of the audio commentaries that Kevin Smith has participated in, I would definitely say that if you enjoy any of them, you'll likely enjoy these DVD's.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
He came to the University of Kentucky, and it was the best 3 hours I ever spent in Memorial Colesium. Hearing these recommendations, I really want to get the set. Does it say what universities he went to? Because if UK isn't one of them, I've got a great story (more cute and grin-inducing than funny) to relate if anybody wants to hear it.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
It is funny to see the KSU stuff, while I missed the show- there are tons of folks I know in the audience.

A fun watch for sure, even if you've never seen a KS film.

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
Some people had asked what school he got kicked out of, it was Indiana University. Its right at the end of disc 1. They don't say why but Kevin seems very surprised. Considering the amount of material from IU in the first disc (maroon backdrop) he must have been there a while before it happened.

Sean Cauley

Stunt Coordinator
Dome, the DVD includes footage from Cornell, Clark, Wyoming, Indiana and Kent State. All of the tapings were done and being edited prior to Kevin's appearance at Kentucky (which I also attended). Is your story the Owensboro accent "F*ck me, Silent Bob?"
Because that was pretty funny.

And as I understand it from reports at NewsAskew in 2001, the Indiana University appearance was cut short simply because the school's activities Union had a strict cutoff time (11:00 or midnight) for all events at the auditorium, and Smith's Q&A ran extremely long, as is typical (I finally had to leave the UK appearance after four hours, what with my hour's drive home, and he was still going with a long line of people waiting to pose more questions).

As to another DVD set with more highlights, I kind of hope not. Aside from one or two more monologues I remember from the UK appearance (which wasn't filmed, but I'm using it as an example of a typical unabridged show), I can't imagine there are too many more good stories to mine from this one tour. Aside from him calling Jeff "Randal" Anderson via cell phone and telling a great tale of the orangutan from Mallrats (plus versions of many of the longer tales on the DVD, like Superman and "How I met Jason Mewes"), most of the rest of the night consisted of questions more pointless than the "can I suck your d*ck for five bucks?" exchange from the DVD.

Mike, the release date originally set for Jersey Girl is sometime in fall 2003, but apparently there have been some crappy test screenings for Gigli, the first movie Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez filmed together before they did Smith's film, and its studio may push it back. Miramax is reportedly considering moving up Jersey Girl to summer (post-production is going very smoothly) in order to get the film--on which the studio is very high--out before Gigli sours audiences on the star pairing.

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
I can't believe there weren't any questions about Joey Lauren Adams. Did she and Kevin date for a while? I had heard he was pretty beat up after she left him.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Sean Cauley said:
Dome, the DVD includes footage from Cornell, Clark, Wyoming, Indiana and Kent State. All of the tapings were done and being edited prior to Kevin's appearance at Kentucky (which I also attended). Is your story
Yep, it sure was. :) I was hoping at least that one little tid bit segment was on there.
Folks, it helps if you're from Kentucky. It'll make the Owensboro thing a lot funnier. :D
That's crazy. Never thought someone would know that story on this forum.

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
I personally think the only decent film Smith ever made was "Clerks". I really can't stand his other films.

Having said that, I think this DVD is really interesting. I find Smith very engaging. I think it would appeal to film fans in general, not just fans of Kevin Smith's films.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I'd like to have those road trip segments(from Jay Leno) of his on DVD also

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks