What's new

Euro 2004 (1 Viewer)

Jonathan White

Stunt Coordinator
To win this tournament the Greeks beat France, Czech Republic, Portugal twice and drew with Spain.........how can any say they didn't deserve this.

They may have better players but they don't have a better team.

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
My mother called me from Athens when Greece won the semis. She had to talk from the bathroom because the noise from the street was so loud. I'm not much of a soccer fan but I am so proud of Greece's performance. And I hope to see more from Portugal as well.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Congratulations to all the greeks and greek team supporters. :) It feels good to have something like this to celebrate, doesn't it? :)

Good way to get ready for the olympics too!

Steve, I must point out that you made the common mistake of putting a "just" into that quote from "Independence Day". I've seen it too many times when defending the movie from accusations of american propaganda to let it pass. ;)

/Mike

Aaron Schmitt

Stunt Coordinator
There is soccer being played somewhere: WC qualifiers, international friendlies, MLS if you can handle american professional soccer :)

A

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
That noise high in the air, we still hear for two days now everywhere in Europe, seems to stem from the south-east area.

Cees

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
No US channel carried it live, Michael, although maybe some network like Fox Sports World replayed it later. The only way to see it live was (as I did) to find a pub with a satellite dish that had signed up for the pay-per-view package, which resulted in a $20 charge for everyone watching.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Haggai, Fox Sports World showed a few of the group play games live, and a few more on tape delay.

The entire tournament was available on PPV for around $160 for all games, or around $20 for individual games.

/Mike

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Hmm, I didn't know that. But I didn't get Fox Sports World even when I had a hi-def digital cable package, so it wouldn't have mattered for me anyway.

Jonathan White

Stunt Coordinator
The latest Fifa world rankings have been announced

1 - Brazil
2 - France
3 - Spain
4 - Czech Republic
5 - Holland
6 - Mexico
7 - USA
8 - England
9 - Italy
10 - Turkey

Just goes to show what a waste of time they are. I'm sure the Greeks are devastated that Turkey are in the top ten whilst they are only the CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE. The only position I agree with is Brazil at number one.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I think the rankings cover performance over a period of time, so the Greek's win would immediately raise them a few notches, but it'll take time for the cumulative effect of their past "crapness", or the past victories of e.g. the French, to "wear off".

I haven't bothered to look at the FIFA ranking in a while, but USA #7??? That's really mind-boggling.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member

The ranking system is very odd and is heavily weighted about strength of opposition etc, which competition it's in etc. So a team could jump up the rankings just depending on who they're playing that year, rather than being the best in the world etc.

AndyVX

Supporting Actor

The FIFA rankings are ridiculous. They need to do a serious overhaul to the program (or whatever it is) that determines the rankings.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks