What's new

International Eureka! Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I watched Pick-up On South Street yesterday. A superb transfer, pretty well perfect. The "extras" are good too.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Robin9 said:
I watched Pick-up On South Street yesterday. A superb transfer, pretty well perfect. The "extras" are good too.
Yeah, I'm thinking of buying this release and once I do then Criterion will announce a Region A BD release.;)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Robert Crawford said:
Yeah, I'm thinking of buying this release and once I do then Criterion will announce a Region A BD release. ;)

Many a true word spoken in jest. The "boutique" market is constantly evolving, and the studios now realise that it makes sense to lease their titles to different companies in different continents. Many titles released by Criterion, Twilight Time and Olive have also been released in Europe.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
The main differences between the various releases are the supplements that the distributor brings to the table. The film transfers often derive from the same master.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Robin9 said:
Many a true word spoken in jest. The "boutique" market is constantly evolving, and the studios now realise that it makes sense to lease their titles to different companies in different continents. Many titles released by Criterion, Twilight Time and Olive have also been released in Europe.
Since Fox did this 4K work I have to assume that Criterion will be releasing a Blu-ray of it in the near future. It might not be until next year, but it's coming.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
bigshot said:
The main differences between the various releases are the supplements that the distributor brings to the table. The film transfers often derive from the same master.
That's very true!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Robin9 said:
Yeah, I bought it today along with The Thing From Another World DVD. Watch, Twilight Time announce a Region A Blu-ray release for 2016.:)

turtledove

Second Unit
Real Name
gerry
Eureka delivered The Man Who Coulc Cheat Death to me today. Nice booklet and double sided cover. Will check disc later

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
bigshot said:

I bought the German Blu-ray disc of Night And The City; fabulous transfer, no extras. It's now being released elsewhere with some really good extras.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
I have the previous release of The Skull and Man Who Could Cheat Death, and my primary objection to Cheat Death was the color fringing from out of register color elements. I looked at the Beaver comparisons, and as usual he reviewed by bitrate, not by eye. I am curious whether the film element problems have been corrected here. Single layer is fine for me. The captures at beaver look identical.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I am waiting for The Man Who Could Cheat Death which I had pre-ordered as it is a favourite Hammer of mine. This is a title I would buy for a small incremental increase in image quality and will post comments on receipt.

turtledove

Second Unit
Real Name
gerry
bigshot said:
I have the previous release of The Skull and Man Who Could Cheat Death, and my primary objection to Cheat Death was the color fringing from out of register color elements. I looked at the Beaver comparisons, and as usual he reviewed by bitrate, not by eye. I am curious whether the film element problems have been corrected here. Single layer is fine for me. The captures at beaver look identical.

Not studied it in depth but to be fair the quality of TMWCCD on the Legend Blu was rubbish.

The Eureka isn't perfect but it's miles better and you'd have to be a bit mad to choose the Legend over the Eureka even if you do find some errors - simply because the Legend version was awful

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Can you address the color fringing issues in the film print if you have seen them both?

turtledove

Second Unit
Real Name
gerry
bigshot said:
Can you address the color fringing issues in the film print if you have seen them both?

I watched the Legend version once a couple of years ago.

I've yet to watch the Eureka version all the way through.

If you have some timecodes you could give I can have a look although I sold my Legend disc a few days ago.

But as I said - the difference in the general quality is so much that there can be no imperfection bad enough to make the Legend version the one to watch.

The quality of the source on the Legend disc was what used to be acceptable on early 90s' laserdiscs and tapes.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
I guess what I'm asking is, do they use the same *film element*, because I have no problem with the transfer and encoding. The color and contrast is fine. No digital artifacting. But the film print they used was bad. There is a scene in a living room towards the beginning of the film where you can see that the three color negatives are out of register. There are magenta halos around things. It looks kind of like a comic book where the colors don't line up right. This is called "color fringing" and it is a result of shrunken negatives being combined optically to create a film print. It doesn't matter how good of a digital transfer it is. If the print they are using has color fringing, it will have color fringing even at 4k.

I suspect that they used the same basic film transfer, which means the color fringing will probably still be there. A higher bitrate won't help that.

turtledove

Second Unit
Real Name
gerry
bigshot said:
I guess what I'm asking is, do they use the same *film element*, because I have no problem with the transfer and encoding. The color and contrast is fine. No digital artifacting. But the film print they used was bad. There is a scene in a living room towards the beginning of the film where you can see that the three color negatives are out of register. There are magenta halos around things. It looks kind of like a comic book where the colors don't line up right. This is called "color fringing" and it is a result of shrunken negatives being combined optically to create a film print. It doesn't matter how good of a digital transfer it is. If the print they are using has color fringing, it will have color fringing even at 4k.

I suspect that they used the same basic film transfer, which means the color fringing will probably still be there. A higher bitrate won't help that.

The print source on the Legend disc was awful The Eureka looks much better. I'll try and have a peek properly tomorrow

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Watched The Man Who Could Cheat Death today and generally pleased with the image quality. The Eureka blu-ray is a good step up from the Legend release. There are two interview supplements giving background to the film, which I found informative, together with a booklet. This is my favourite Hammer horror (together with The Brides of Dracula) and the blu-ray is probably the best this film will look so recommended for fans.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Just saw the image caps from Beaver for Man Who Could Cheat Death. It looks like the exact same film transfer, just with a higher bitrate, a nicer cover and supplements. That's fine, but not enough to make me double dip.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I saw the Beaver caps before my copy arrived and agree that it could be the same transfer. However I got rid of my Legend edition so cannot compare directly. For anyone who is a casual fan of the film and/or The Skull then the Legend set is good value. The Skull had a good transfer, certainly the better of the two films. For big fans of the film (like me!) the Eureka is a marked improvement in image quality.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Now, here's a surprise. I was not expecting this:

Day Of The Outlaw 2.jpg

Of Tina Louis's first four films in Hollywood, three have been released on Blu-ray disc in Zone A. Day Of The Outlaw was the remaining film and it will be released in Zone B in December.

I think someone at Eureka likes Westerns because they are releasing several. This one is pretty good and I'll buy it at the first opportunity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks