What's new

ETHICS: Would you work for BOSE? (1 Viewer)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I am EE major, due out this december. I am looking for a job and it ain't very easy right now as we all know. I was just wondering if BOSE offered me a job, say as part of the design team of their next "receiver" (whatever that thing is called) would I take it? In a heartbeat!!! Yet, I am wondering what it would be like to work for a company you don't believe in. Perhaps it is easier than I think to seperate the job from the company? I would like to hear your opinions on this as I have the feeling that most people hear would run for it, in spite of everything.
--
Holadem

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Yet, I am wondering what it would be like to work for a company you don't believe in.
Once that paycheck starts coming in, you'll believe in it. Seriously.
You can always justify it with "I want to change things, and I can do that better from the inside". :)
Of course you should take it, whatever you think of Bose products, they seem to be a fine company.
/Mike

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
Just keep any negative opinions about Bose products to yourself.
------------------
They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
- Napoleon XIV

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
If you were to work on the sales/marketing staff then it could be a question of ethics. Because then you'd be trying to sell a product that you felt was inferior or not worth the asking price. But as an engineer I see no conflict of interest. You're going to be doing the best you can to make Bose the best it can be. If it turns out to be crap that a salesman puts a high price on...it's not your fault (well the crap is, but not the price).
------------------
Bill
biggrin.gif

mickey31.gif

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
btw, I just want to make it clear that this is only speculation btw, I don't have that choice to make, tho I wish I did
biggrin.gif

--
Holadem

Jonathan Burk

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Burk
Sorry, Holadem, you're out of luck. Bose recruits their engineers from job fairs at High Schools and JC's; they only recruit their marketing dept. from Universities...
biggrin.gif

Paul O

Stunt Coordinator
With unemployment likely to edge up to 6% this month and new graduates entering the worst job market in years - any Job may sound like a good deal.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't work for a company whose product I don't believe in. It won't be your best work- you'll know it, and they'll know it. It's not really a question of ethics, but personal integrity. Working strictly for the paycheck is simply prostitution, no?
6% unemployment isn't so bad. In my little world of Semiconductors, the unemployment is in the neighborhood of 30% (in fact, at my plant, more than HALF have been let go- with another 10% getting it next month. Yikes!
eek.gif
) I'm still working, and I intend to keep it that way- but it won't be at something I can't stand doing.
Todd

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
I would work for Bose....if they would only accept my application. When I was in my freshman year in college, I actually applied to be some marketing rep for Bose, working out of Circuit City. But this was when I am naive and young. Anyway, they turned me down. Good for me, perhaps.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
Not only would I work for Bose, if there was a paycheck in it for me I would do one of those infomercials and swear that my new Wave radio provides the best sound possible outside of a concert hall.

nousername

Supporting Actor
Like many others, I have done my share of bashing BOSE products. However, people still continue to buy their stuff and they love it, and there's nothing wrong with that.
And it's not always about money with BOSE. When J&R Music World in New York was damaged by the World Trade Center terrorist attacks, BOSE representatives offered to help them re-merchandise products that were not even produced by them. I thought this was very nice of them to do. You can read about this here .
[Edited last by Allan Mack on October 30, 2001 at 03:42 AM]

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
I used to work for Blockbuster Video as an assistant manager so I know what it's like to work for a business in which you don't believe in.
I loved the fact that my job had to do with movies. Making recommendations, getting the free rentals and some great movie discussions were all some of the perks of working there.
What I hated most is that we didn't get foreign or independent films. For those, I would have to go to a great local store called Rick's Video
------------------
As for the bad rap about the characters--hey, I've seen space operas that put their emphasis on human personalities and relationships. They're called "Star Trek" movies. Give me transparent underwater cities and vast hollow senatorial spheres any day. --Roger Ebert on The Phantom Menace
AIM: Aureus91 / DVDs / ICQ: 58566493
[Edited last by Tom_G on October 30, 2001 at 02:50 PM]

Despite the pounding Bose Corporation gets on this forum, Dr. Amar Bose (EE professor at MIT)is a true pioneer in the high fidelity field. The original 901, the wave radio, the sound cancelling headphones, and the bass module-satellite system were innovative whether "audiophiles" like them or not. I bought a pair of the original 901s in 1972 and I still have them. I no longer have them hooked up, but when new, they were definitely state-of-the-art. They just don't fit in with my DefTech-SVS HT system now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks