What's new

ET, Jaws and Jurrasic coming to HD DVD? (1 Viewer)

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Amistad arrived in 1999 as did Saving Private Ryan, then Jaws and Jurassic Park/Lost World arrived in 2000. So not quite a 2 year wait for Spielberg to start testing the waters. 1 year is already almost up. ;)

DanR

Supporting Actor
You know, at one point I would swear I saw this on an internal list for HD DVD and BD releases for 2007. ;) But (and this is for Mr. Glover), "always in motion is the future". :D

Regards,
Dan

DanR

Supporting Actor
Not a chance on a public forum, especially where certain individuals may be reading. People's jobs/careers could be at stake, and I must respect that. The RIGHT people know already, and are doing their own due diligence. ;) Perhaps as it gets a little more firmed up and there is a more definite timeline, I will post something if I can.

My advice is always free though, so you can certainly ask questions. :D

Regards,
Dan

Rolando

Screenwriter
so Dan... any advice on how good an investment it would be to get an HD-X2 Vs HD-A2 or just sit and wait before investing in an HD player... :)

BrettB

Senior HTF Member

If I'm a huge Spielberg fan who currently has a PS3 should I start saving money for Spielberg BDs or an HD DVD player? :D

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I was wondering if the non commitment from Dreamworks for either format would go hand-in-hand with the delay to bring the Spielberg Universal films to hddvd.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Spielberg's films for Dreamworks will now most likely be released under the control of the CBS/Paramount Company. As such they will most likely be on both Blueray and HD-DVD as Paramount supports both.

As of right now anything from Universal would be HD-DVD only. Anything done for Columbia/Tri-Star would be Blueray only.

Of course when they get released would be up to Spielberg.

Doug

LarryH

Supporting Actor
As much as many of us admire these films and want them on HD, I don't think they are high-profile enough to make a difference in the HD-DVD vs BD war. They are all kind of long in the tooth now and have been on TV often. Familiarity does not breed desire. I think the general population has moved on from these films and is looking for newer films to sway their commitment to any HD format. Although I would buy them in a second, I'm not atwitter at the prospect.

Rolando

Screenwriter
well he might have a point.

I went "crazy" with DVD on release and when the "oldies" came around I jumped with joy as well but it's not the same anymore. I bought about 100 DVDs before Y2K. That is tame for many here but to the average person I was a "freak". After that even at a "slowed down pace", many films were bought on release day with great anticipation. Announcements for Jurassic Parc, Jaws, Indiana Jones, Dawn of the Dead Ultimate, Beauty and the Beast, The Rock, Friday The 13th etc made me so excited. I couldn't wait! To finaly own these on DVD made me so giddy. Some of these are still my most prized movies yet if announced on HD-DVD TOMORROW I would not jump. I have the HD-A2 and I would think it was cool but would not run out.

I bought some oldies like Lethal Weapon on HD-DVD and I admit I already regret it. Have had it for over 2 months and still haven't even unwrapped it. I owned it on VHS, original DVD and even director's cut re-release. Sold each as I upgraded but now wonder if I should have since I have not felt even a slight curiosity to see it.

now I am not saying I only want new. I know catalogue is definately my thing, just not as much as before. I know if BD releases BS's Dracula tommorrow I will rush to get the most expesive BD player to watch it on. But my alltime favourite movies of Star wars, Indy and the like will probably not inspire the move. weird eh?

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
So...any word on the Speilberg films coming to Blu Ray??? I searched and this was the closest thing I found.

I would snap up Saving Private Ryan, Schindlers List and Jurrasic Park instantly.

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
I read somewhere that Steven Spielberg wants proper releases, and not some port of the previous dvds (don't know if this is true or not). Tha's supposedly why it's taking so long, and why we've only got CE3K and Indy 4 on Blu-Ray.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Unless Spielberg changes his stance and does commentaries, the current DVDs of "Jaws" and "Jurassic Park" are probably the best we're likely to get in terms of content. Indy films are Lucasfilm so that's a whole other story. The two disc version of E.T. is pretty good, although I hear there are some extras missing from the Laserdisc (possibly an edited documentary as well). Even 1941 has good suppliments. So in terms of his "Classic" films, only E.T. would need work to provide a "Proper" release

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks