What's new

Esther Williams Collection??? (1 Viewer)

Lino Reno

Stunt Coordinator
Any news on this set yet? Warner passed a golden opportunity not to release it on her upcoming birthday -- August, 8th.

We've been waiting almost two years for this and nothing solid has surfaced yet. What gives?

Corey

Screenwriter
unfortunately there hasn't been any news on it. WB said they had a "splashy" set for us this year, but i haven't heard mention of it in a long time.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
JUPITER'S DARLING isn't a very good picture despite the Cinemascope. (I have it on laserdisc.) I second the desire for at least one of her films with Van Johnson.

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark

Oh, I have to disagree. It's one of my favorite MGM 'Scope films. It's a total parody, with lots of funny lines and some great underwater cinematography in the final scenes. Of all Esther's films, this is the one I really want on DVD.

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
DUCHESS. Good choice. It's one of the better films, and also has at least three outtakes available. Poor Lena Horne had two great numbers in an exquisite gown.....and they used a third number in the actual release with her in a totally unflattering outfit.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough

I guess that's what makes horse racing. I really don't care for any of her films with Howard Keel, but of the three, JUPITER'S DARLING is the one I have the hardest time sitting through. Don't like the score either.

Corey

Screenwriter

yeah i saw some of those outtakes on that's entertainment 3. one where mel torme is singing and i believe they had a lena horne outtake. bathing beauty has been fully restored since 2004.

ChrisRose

Stunt Coordinator
I'd buy an Esther Williams boxset... not a huuuge fan of her, but how could I resist all her wonderful co-stars/musical numbers? :)

Too bad Warner seems resistant to the idea of "Team" boxsets, 'cause I'd like to see all the movies she made with Van Johnson, preferably packaged together...

Richard M S

Screenwriter
Anyone have any news yet? I know Warners has announced (awesome) releases through mid-November...and this would be so perfect for the holidays. Any updates?

KellyVO

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kelly
We were just discussing this on the imdb boards and someone e-mailed Movies Unlimited and got the following reply:

Regarding the Esther Williams set: Rest assured! Esther Williams will be splashing onto DVD in the coming months in a deluxe set, so keep the towels handy!

Corey

Screenwriter

Yup, that was me who e-mailed that. i'm kind of wary of his news, since he gave very false info on the Jeantte MacDonald/Nelson Eddy set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks