What's new

Essential Features for Today's Portable? (1 Viewer)

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
I'm pretty ignorant right now about portable video projectors; however, I find that projectors with DVI sound like a good feature--except that I don't fully understand the advantage over non-DVI projectors. And what is DVI-1? I'd like to have a portable for rooms with 150 people capacity, playing DVDs from a laptop. 2000 lumes is the most I'd need for brightness; my budget would preferably be no higher than $1,500. Choosing between DLP and LCD leaves me muddled. The best I can ask is what do forum members use for traveling presentations with similiar settings?

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
The question here is whether or not you have DVI on your laptop, otherwise you'd have to use a DVI to VGA cable to take advantage of the connection, which strikes me as pointless since most portables have a VGA input anyways.

The more important questions to ask are:
What type of presentations are you doing?
What kind of resolution do you require for those presentations?
Is fast motion a factor in the presentations?
Is contrast a concern?

As for the DVI-1 designation, my guess is it stands for 1 DVI input on the projector.

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
I'd actually want a blend of photos and DVD; what I present is usual documentary in nature. I would think XGA is sufficient?

Thanks for clarifying DVI!

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
im scratching my head right now...i am not sure what you are after (besides nirvana ?).

a room for 150 is huge, yet you only want 2000 lumens. This may be suitable if the room is very dark, but I doubt this would be the case.

Perhaps something in the presentation market may fit the bill (some type of Epson etc), but nothing in the HT market would do it at that price point.

For presentations, you can get by with a very minimal contrast ratio (15-1, 30-1), which would help relating to the size of your venue.

Good luck!!

Gregg

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
Thanks--sorry about my naive query! I'll check on the presentation angle.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks