Espn Hd ???

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by AlClarkJr, Jul 5, 2003.

1. AlClarkJr

AlClarkJr Stunt Coordinator

Hello all, does anyone have a Panny-RCA DTC-100 combo? If so, could you please tell me what kinda of picture quality do you have on the ESPN HD? I know the panny does not display 720p but does the rca-dtc upconvert to 1080i? All the other HD channels directv has added look great except ESPN HD. Thanks

2. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Stunt Coordinator

I don't have a Panny, but I have a DTC-100 connected to a 3-year old Mitsubishi. The combo works fine, and should with your Panasonic. The DTC-100 does convert everything to an output of 1080i. The problem with ESPN-HD's picture is that you probably haven't seen any real HD programming yet. Almost everything being shown so far has been SD, which they stretch and upconvert. The only HD that's been shown recently was yesterday afternoon's baseball game.

SMK

3. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

I've had ESPN-HD since Tuesday, and yesterday's baseball game was the one and only thing they've broadcast in HD since then, and it didn't look as good as the MLB games that were shown on HDNet (3 or 4 a week) last season.

4. Daniel Mai

Daniel Mai Stunt Coordinator

what channel is it on?

5. Joe Cole

Joe Cole Second Unit

73 is the channel. And I would agree that the MB game yesterday was not as good as HDNET's broadcasts.

Is ESPNHD being broadcast in 720? Why would ABC FOX[next year} and now ESPn choose 720p when very few if any new HD tvs display that format? What are they saving the band width for anyway?

Oh yeah ESPN is ABC. Never mind.

HDNET's broadcasts are great looking. Discovery HD Theater channel is also breath taking beautiful. I saw part of a show on Truk Lagoon yesterday that was gorgeous. But how many insect programs can a non entomologist watch in a month?

6. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

Joe,

You'll find that most all fixed pixel display's like DLP, LCD and plasmas display everything in a native 720p. So most all of the truly digital TVs are 720p.