What's new

ESPN.com College Pigskin Pick'em (1 Viewer)

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
It's late August and I hear the wind rustling through the leaves in the trees. No wait, I think it's actually the sound of co-eds shaking their pom-poms. Football season is here at last.
Last year a small group of us had fun playing the College Pigskin Pick'em contest at ESPN.com. They've just opened up the registration for this year's Pigskin Pick'em, and I've created the Home Theater Forum group for any HTF members who want to participate in this friendly little competition.
The contest begins 10 minutes before kickoff next Saturday, September 1, so sign up and make your picks now. You'll need an ESPN.com account to sign up (same as a go.com account, I think). The name of the group is Home Theater Forum and the password is OAR.
When you sign up and join the group, be sure to reply to this thread to say hello.
Link Removed

CarlS

Stunt Coordinator
I'm in.
Wayne, you need to put some more time in. You need to get that Uber rating up.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
I'm not concerned about Uber points, in fact I didn't know what you were talking about so I had to go see what Uber is. I haven't played any of the other games this year except for March Madness.
I see Tim Maynard and Joel Mack have signed up, welcome back guys.

AdrianJ

Supporting Actor
Hey, I was hoping someone would do one of these. I hope we get a few more members.
------------------
photo11.jpg

Adrian Jones

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
College football fanatic. I'm in.
biggrin.gif

------------------
The Dark Tower
jamaris1.jpg

Roman Polanski's - The Fearless Vampire Killers?

Tim Maynard

Stunt Coordinator
Yep, I'm in.
I had a reasonably good run in last year's NFL Pigskin Pickem, even though I haven't seen a game in a while.
I lived in the U.S. from 1984 to 1989, but since moving to New Zealand, haven't really followed alot of Football. The ESPN channel on my TV will certainly be a big help.
------------------
Tim Maynard
"Your Village called! Their Idiot is missing!"

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
I'm not happy with the response time of ESPN.com on updating the results, and there are other problems too. The scoresheet is just plain wrong, it shows that all the away teams won regardless of the score. Even if it was right, it doesn't show team member's names so I don't who is who.
And it is scoring one point for each correctly picked game instead of totaling the CPP's. If the CPP system is supposed to encourage people to risk 8 points on the chance of getting the big 92 points if Air Force upsets Oklahoma, then they need to count CPP's instead of wins.
I hope ESPN.com can fix the glitches without having to throw out this week's entries because I feel I got off to a good start.

JeffDemum

Stunt Coordinator
Well i picked 12 out of 15 right and got a bunch of points 489 to be exact . I liked it last year better when you would get 1 point instead of all this new stuff . I mean if you have 15 picks and you get 12 right your total should be 12 , it was alot easier last year . Besides im not going for the points i didn't even know what they were there for i just pick who i think will win .
And yes there response time on updating it was a little slow maybe it will get better .

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
It looks like they are gradually fixing the problems. Right now the scoresheet isn't available at all, but the team point totals are available. Yep, Jeff's in first place. I got 11 correct picks and 330 points.
I kinda like the idea of CPPs. You're rewarded more for being able to pick the close games and even more for being able to pick the upsets that others don't expect. There won't be many upsets, the key to winning the contest is going to be correctly picking all those 51/49 either-or games.
In any case, you don't get any points if the team you pick doesn't win.

Tim Maynard

Stunt Coordinator
Woohoo... I'm in second place with 367 points, even though I only picked 6 winners. I can only hope to continue with as much luck
wink.gif

------------------
Tim Maynard
"Your Village called! Their Idiot is missing!"

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
I knew I was getting smoked in week one - damn the Pac-10.
angry.gif
My comeback begins next week - I promise!
------------------
The Dark Tower
jamaris1.jpg

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
ESPN.com seems to be addressing the problems. I can view everyone's Week 1 picks now, but I'd like to see them all together in the scoresheet.
Beware that the CPPs on the Change Picks screen for Week 2 are currently wrong, it's still showing the CPPs from Week 1. To see the correct CPPs for this week, click on "Who Picked Whom" and reverse the percentages.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
This week's upset special: South Carolina over Georgia.
Disclaimer: As a Georgia Tech grad, I cannot consciously pick Georgia to win.
laugh.gif

------------------
--Wayne Bundrick

AdrianJ

Supporting Actor
Okay. I have a question. How the heck does this scoring system work. I ask because the second place team right now only pick 6 games right, but 9 games WRONG! Does it do some sort of weighting based on perceived upsets.
I can't believe people picked Wake Forest over East Carolina and Bowling Green over Missouri.
------------------
photo11.jpg

Adrian Jones

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
Adrian,
I do think it is weighted toward picking (upsets/underdogs) not just the most winners.
------------------
The Dark Tower
jamaris1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks