Escape from New York (1981) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Mar 15, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    XenForo Template
    Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Preorder today.  Amazon preorder prices tend to go up after initial posting.

2. Ronald Epstein

Owner

Ronald Epstein
    This recently appeared on Amazon.

Hard to tell if it is a repackage of what is already available or not.

I was hoping, perhaps, a brand new scan. Not even sure if the
    deleted beginning sequence has ever been made available on
    Blu-ray.

I don't currently own this title, but if it were a new scan has been
    done and the deleted sequence is included, I will buy this in a
    heartbeat.

....of course confirming any of this can prove to be quite difficult.

Cine_Capsulas and ahollis like this.
  3. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer
    Supporter

At that price, I doubt it is a new transfer. Anyway, the current version looks decent, IMO.

4. Didier R

Didier R Stunt Coordinator

Why? Just contact that Finn guy.

5. Jari K

Jari K Producer

Based on the price, it's some re-release.

6. SAhmed

SAhmed Second Unit

Shakeel
    This is one of my all time favorite movies and one that I watch on a regular basis. I have bought this on many different formats and "releases" but there is no way that I am going to buy it again ( I know nobody is forcing me too !) unless it is a very, very special one - not even a 4K release would tempt me at this point in time ( not that that would probably do much more for it ) i.e. the current release is good enough for me.Regards,

7. bgart13

bgart13 Screenwriter

Ben
    ROBOCOP was remastered, and it's rather cheap.

8. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer
    Supporter

Very true, but there was an announcement well in advance of the release regarding the new 4K master of that film. The combination of no mention of a remaster along with the low price it what makes us assume this is the same transfer.

9. Kevin EK

Kevin EK Producer
    Reviewer

To my knowledge, the only time that first reel of Escape From New York has been available was as an extra on the 2-disc special edition DVD of the movie from 2003. I kept my copy of that DVD release and have not upgraded, as the bonus material was not included on the only Blu-ray made of the movie.

If this new release is just a repackaging of the earlier, bare-bones Blu, I'll be content to continue waiting.

10. Ronald Epstein

Owner

Ronald Epstein
    I have always wanted to own this film on Blu-ray.

However, I have never had the incentive to purchase it without
    the option of playing it with the missing beginning sequence.

I would have hoped with MGM doing all these remasters for
    their Anniversary year that Escape From New York would finally
    get its due, but something tells me that this is just another repackaged
    current release.

Sad.

11. cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC Cinematographer
    Supporter

Luis
    This is confirmed to be just an utterly pointless repackaging, standalone release. Thanks for nothing, MGM.

Cine_Capsulas likes this.
  12. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

Does this contain the extra features that were on the SE DVD but not on the Blu-Ray? I

13. Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg Screenwriter

Jonathan
    My guess is that Carpenter would prefer that the footage stays outside of the film, as it is presented on the SE DVD, and as he chose to have the film exhibited in 1981. Of course, he may not care either way, or, if he does wish it to remain separate, the studio may or not accede to his wishes. Ultimately, it's almost certainly $$ and the studio's idea of potential sales that is driving these decisions, rather than the aforementioned speculation. Personally, I'm OK hanging onto my SE DVD and Blu-ray, which already has a perfectly fine transfer.

The condition of the original materials--i.e. they'll be expensive to ready for HD or the requisite elements are not extant--may be something else keeping this opening sequence from Blu-ray.

14. Jari K

Jari K Producer

This is also my understanding. Of course they could create an alternate version, but I (also) prefer the film without the opening scene. Some info here:
    http://www.theefnylapage.com/deletedscenes.htm

If this is a re-package (as seems to be the case), no. U.S. Blu-ray is bare bones. Some European BD releases have most of those extras:
    http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/blu-ray_reviews51/escape_from_new_york_blu-ray.htm

15. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

I'm just flabbergasted that MGM would have the audacity to rerelease this -- on his Twitter page, James Finn's spin that it's the first standalone BR (no DVD included) release -- bare-bones yet again when they have the SE elements already in hand. It's pathetic. I would have pre-ordered this in a flash. Instead, I'll repackage my SE DVDs into a three-disc Blu case to save space. Oh, what Shout Factory could have done with this release…

ijthompson likes this.
  16. ijthompson

ijthompson Stunt Coordinator

Jordan
    Funny... I'd read that the previous BD transfer was pretty lacklustre, and so have been watching my SE dvd all these years, waiting for better. But this release sort of indicates that there might not be better on the way, so... it doesn't currently look that bad on blu? Maybe I should just buy this crappy, bare-bones release after all?

I'd hate to reward 'em for chintzing out, but I do hate watching dvds...

17. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I'll double check but I'm pretty sure that I have a copy sans DVD. That might have been a Best Buy exclusive though.

EDIT: No, it does have a DVD. I guess I was thinking of how it was in a normal Blu-ray case rather than those awful DVD-sized Blu-ray combo cases that MGM used for a while.

For $10, it's not that bad but as others have said, if only Scream Factory could have gotten this one.

18. Chuck Anstey

Chuck Anstey Screenwriter

Chuck Anstey
    If this is just a reissue, you can get the Blu/DVD combo for $7.96 at Amazon now. I had never seen the bank robbery scene before and I agree with those that think it is better left out. The inclusion/lack of it would not sway my decision at all.

19. Kevin EK

Kevin EK Producer
    Reviewer

It's not just the bank robbery first reel. The 2003 2-disc DVD has several bonuses, including the Carpenter/Russell commentary from the laserdisc and a then-current commentary with Debra Hill and Joe Alves. There's also a short-ish featurette on the production, running less than 30 minutes long. All of this material should have been included on any Blu-ray, but for some reason they went super cheap.

This is akin to the release of To Live and Die in LA on Blu-ray, where the bonus materials were only on the older DVD included in the package. One assumes it must have been cheaper to press more copies of the DVD than to include the files on the Blu. (Or maybe they just had a LOT of returned DVDs from the retailers...)

The Universal Blu-ray of The Jackal had the same problem - the Blu-ray did not include the bonuses from the DVD, but they included the DVD in the package.

With Escape from New York, sadly, MGM chose not even to include the DVD with the commentaries in their combo pack with the Blu-ray.

Mark Cappelletty likes this.