What's new

Erratic power iMac (1 Viewer)

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
Hi,

I picked up an early G5 iMac 110V, blew the power supply, and got a universal power supply replacement. I never used to shut down or put them to sleep, and when I did a sleep light firmware update, it powered it down to then restart, except it never did.

I don't remember the exact details, but swapping power supplies often did the trick to jump start either of the 2 iMacs (2nd one was a uni power supply original). I then left it alone after that didn't work anymore.

Almost 2 years later, I try again, and it powered up! Except it doesn't like going to sleep or being shut down. Only a restart works to keep it on. I've done all the software updates.

Testing point sto a wonky power supply. Is the ONLY solution to either never shut down or buy a new power supply?

Here's the kicker. It comes on by itself very randomly if it's stuck in siesta mode. lol. Saves me having to open up the hood every time to give it soem attention.

Comments!?

ps. my Cube just died after a power outage. 6 years of faithful service.

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
The early G5 iMacs were unfortunately plagued by faulty power supplies...we replaced eight under warranty out of a batch of fifteen that we bought. I believe Apple extended warranty claims for this specific problem out to three years from date of purchase. How long have you had the computer?

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
2 years plus. Actual power supply will be almost 2 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks