What's new

Eraserhead DVD now available for purchase (1 Viewer)

Ike

Screenwriter
Got mine! Woo-hoo! I haven't popped it in yet, but I'm so excited. First off, is the box they deliver it in not really, really cool? It's a black box with a photo of powerlines on it, and Lynch's name stamped on each side. It's about the size of a shoebox.

I can't wait to watch this. I will, though it really doesn't matter, post impressions when I do. Probably sometime this weekend.

Michael Hall

Stunt Coordinator
Semi-unrelated question for those of you who have bought from DL.com before: does UPS completely destroy the outer box by slapping those big-ass shipping labels all over it? I'm a sucker for interesting packaging, and I'd hate to have the box (which I'm told is incredibly nice) ruined by the fine folks at UPS.

EDIT: I went searching through the archives and found a link to dugpa.com's review of the Short Films disc and saw packaging shots there. If that's what I can expect on the EH DVD package, all I have to say is wow. Very nice looking and very stylish. Sad to see that the ubiquitous UPS shipping label is all over the corner of the box, but damn, that is a fine looking box otherwise. :)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
It was a sweet box. Mine was a little dinged up, but the photo of powerlines was intact. It's definitely a box that I'll hold on to.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Got my copy yesterday and watched it last night. I'd forgotten what a disturbing film it is! :eek: :D

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I'm interested in buying this blind, but one question...

If by chance I don't like it, would it probably be a good eBay seller? I'm thinking I'll like it (even though $40 is steep for me). I took a similar plunge for 8 1/2, which I have enjoyed immensely.

Also, what is the final price after shipping?

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Patrick, the total was $49.44.

As for liking it, well, that's a decision you'll have to make on your own - Eraserhead is truly a one-of-a-kind movie.

In case you don't like it, you shouldn't have a problem selling it on eBay - lots of Lynch fans out there. :)

Marc_Savoie

Stunt Coordinator
A question for any Canadian buyers of Eraserhead:

What was the exact grand total (price, shipping, tax, customs, exchange, etc) for the DVD?

Even better, would any Canadian know from experience what the exact total for BOTH the Eraserhead and Short Films DVD might be?
I priced it around $160 total (Canadian) for both... so about $80 each... I read that Erashead on its own would be over $100 CAN, so buying both is the better deal...

Any help would be great. Thanks!!!

Blaine Skerry

Second Unit
Marc, I just checked Lynch's site and shipping to Canada seems to have dropped from $30.75 to $28.75. I wonder if this is a trend. Anyway, total for ERASERHEAD shipped to me is $68.69 USD. That's two bucks cheaper than three days ago. Maybe if we Canadians wait a few weeks. . .

Ike

Screenwriter
Ike, I'm curious to know what you thought of the movie.
I watched it earlier today. I'm a big Lynch fan, so I was excited to see it. My thoughts on it are that it was very, very good. I'd like to see it again, that's for sure.

It wasn't exactly what I expected. It was much more dream like through out the whole film than I thought it would be. I enjoyed that. It felt very much like David Lynch meets Franz Kafka, which, to me, was worth the price of admission.

I'd like to see it again. I plan to watch all the Lynch films I have back to back at some point, and I'm eagerly awaiting seeing it again.

My thoughts on the DVD, however, are a little more mixed. The packaging is gorgeous. It comes in a large box with a paper slip cover. The box is so large, in fact, I couldn't keep it on my DVD rack. It's stored along side my books. Taking off the paper slip cover reveals a little circle like holder. You lift that up, and there's another circle, and you can interlock the circles so that the disc is displayed almost like a picture in a frame. It's a gorgeous idea.

Underneath the disc is the booklet. There's not as much substance to the book as I thought there would be, but it was definitely interesting flipping through and looking at the photos. The book is the size of the box, so it's certainly much bigger than your average booklet. Under the book is a little business card from the website explaining how the DVD should be played. The DVD has a picture of the baby in Henry's suit printed on it. Very attractive.

Popping in the disc automatically brings up a setup process. This allows you to get the contrast and brightness on your TV right. I appreciated this very much. All this made it seem as if Lynch made very sure I was seeing his film properly.

After that is the menu. It's a weird shot (as someone said, a deleted scene) of Henry and a dead cat. The options (Eraserhead, which takes you straight to the movie, and Extras, which takes you to another menu with the trailer and interview with Lynch) are presented similar to the style of the website. The menu runs a little long before the options appear for my taste. You'll be seeing that dead hairless cat a lot if you spend any time with the disc.

The transfer is very good, but not one of the best I've seen. Since I haven't ever seen the film before, I can't judge it based on past appearances. I'm assuming that this is a very good reproduction of the theater experience.

My main problem with the DVD is the packaging. The place that holds the DVD is ripe with ways to scratch the disc-the slot it's in is held via a little clear sticker, which was touching my disc. It didn't seem to stick to it, but I'm sure it could. The outer slip cover is a little too flimsy, and feels like it could tear. But most troublesome is the fact that there is a notch cut out of the backing for the DVD, which means the data side of the disc is exposed to the book. I'm very fearful this could result in more scratches than it should. My DVD had a pretty good nick close to the inside hole, but it seems like there are no problems. Why this notch is there I have no idea.

If you are a fan of the film or a fan of Lynch, it's a safe buy. If you are fan of surrealistic or experimental cinema, it's a safe buy.

Any problems I have with the DVD, however, fade away by the fact that it's clear much thought, time, and care went into this package. It's one of the most special presentations of a film I've every seen. If only Lynch held the rights to Lost Highway.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
The only other transfer I've seen of the film was on an SVCD, and it was so dark that I couldn't see half of what was going on. I about crapped my pants when I saw the quality of this DVD as a result of the film looking completely different.

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
A question for any Canadian buyers of Eraserhead:
What was the exact grand total (price, shipping, tax, customs, exchange, etc) for the DVD?
Let's not forget the pricey UPS 'brokerage fee" that's almost certain to added over and above what you are paying to Lynch for shipping! :angry:

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
I was at Amoeba Hollywood Friday night and saw this ($49.99) and the Jack Nance documentary ($18.99) for sale there. I picked up "I Don't Know Jack" but haven't watched it yet.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Terrance, I honestly don't think the price was so high due to the packaging. I do agree that the packaging has problems, but being a born again laserdisc fan, I really love the big(ger) packaging.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
Anyway, I like them, though I'm worried about the paper covers getting ruined.
To cover the box, I kept the thin cellophane (excuse sp), which has a re-sealable flap (if you don't tear it upon opening). Reminds me of a very thin version of those laserdisc or vinyl LP plastic protective covers.

And yes, the package may not be practical or efficient, but then again, what art is?

Felix

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
Based on the Lynchnet review, the uncompressed PCM stereo soundtrack track is a no-show. Looks like they went to compressed DD 2.0 to leave more room for higher bit-rate video. Should have been a 2-disc set IMHO.

Still looks like a keeper, and my copy is on the way!

Felix
Yep, looks like the uncompressed PCM track is not included (it's DD 2.0). I should have a review of this in the next week or so at DVDAngle.com.

I recall late last year Lynch was quite upset with the compression quality of an early test disc, and methinks a last minute decision to go compressed DD 2.0 was a way to let the video bitrate breathe a bit more. The booklet was obviously already printed, as it mentions uncompressed PCM audio along with extensive info on the restoration and video transfer.

In an ideal world, the hour and a half comments by Lynch and trailer should have been on a 2nd disc. But on Henry's planet, the DL.com package we have in our hands is more than enough!

Felix

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Just as I did with the useless packaging on the Star Trek Next Generation sets, this disc will immediately be going into a more user-friendly case and the packaging carefully put aside in a suitable shrine. :) Got my notice that Eraserhead and Short Films shipped yesterday so I know what I'll be doing this weekend. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks