What's new

Eraserhead DVD now available for purchase (1 Viewer)

richardWI

Second Unit
The sad thing is, Lynch TURNED DOWN Criterion and decided to remaster Eraserhead himself. It took forever, he had to reinvent the wheel and the end product might not be much more impressive than your typical Criterion treatment, and a bit more expensive. (Criterion would have probably spread the material out 2 discs; the president of Criterion is a HUGE fan of the film.)

Pat Ford

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Patrick...agreed, Lynch on Lynch is an excellent book. The thing I love about his piece on here is actually hearing him talk live for such a length of time with the inclusion of still and behind the scenes footage. His speech pattern and the way he tells a story is fascinating. The interview on the disc really has some very humorous stories.

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps he will eventually turn it over to Criterion, after he's milked all the diehards with the current offering. Although I can't imagine what else Criterion could do with it... maybe one of their scholarly commentary tracks (which would be interesting).

According to the UPS tracking webpage, I should be getting my shipment today! Woohoo!

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
but rarely do you get a chance to hear him talk so much about his work
...yes, the Lynch On Lynch book is great, or get Pretty As A Picture: The Art of David Lynch DVD.

Great DVD with lots of behind the scenes on Lost Highway, plus interviews with Lynch. A must have for fans.

Felix

GaryEA

Second Unit
Just curious; Is the package design unusual (size, shape), or is it a keepcase?

Thanks.

Gary

Pat Ford

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, what Matt said...exact same packaging used on the short films disc. It is big and looks nice, but you will want to store the disc in something else or it will get scratched...can't win 'em all. I've found putting the disc in a slim jewel case fits nicely in the box without damaging the packaging.

GaryEA

Second Unit
Thanks guys. I checked the web site (I have had trouble getting into it... kept crashing my browser) and it's just what you said - an 8" x 8" box.

Interesting. :)

Gary

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member
Very interesting packaging. 8" x 8" box, about the thickness of, oh, Fellowship of the Ring EE. Box has a paper slipcover that's somewhat flimsy. The disc itself is held in an unusual cardboard sleeve behind a pair of "rings" (can't describe it). Very nice booklet, and a business card-sized card explaining the inferiority of software DVD players. Behind everything is a lot of empty space. There is really no reason for these boxes to be any thicker than an Amaray, except for aesthetic purposes I suppose. Anyway, I like them, though I'm worried about the paper covers getting ruined.

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
I really love this film, but I'd prefer an ordinary case and, of course, a much lower price. There really are no "must have" films for me; there's far too much to watch already and if nothing's on TV, I read.

Too much money for one film, even a great one like Eraserhead.

But I'm broke right now, which makes me cranky. I might pick up Eraserhead if I were flush...but probably not. I'm too damned cheap.

(I found the money for The Tingler, The Ring and The Day the Earth Stood Still, though, and still didn't spend $40.)

Jan

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member
I watched it last night and was very very pleased. It looks incredible. I had forgotten about a lot of the little touches like the unpotted plant on the nightstand. Really looking forward to listening to Lynch talk about it, and then the short films (none of which I've ever seen).

"Look at my knees!"

Ike

Screenwriter
Mine should get here tomorrow!

Question about the packaging-why will it scratch the disc to leave it in it's packaging?

I'm assuming that the inside has enough space for a jewel case, correct? 8x8 is pretty big.

Didn't you guys know it was going to cost $40 + shipping for months? That's how much the short films were.

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
I certainly knew the price which is why I waited until now to get the short films DVD. ;)

Gregory

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I knew the price too...and I don't have a problem with it. Here is a solution for all of you that don't want to spend that much money, don't buy it. I don't think complaining about the price is going to do anything.

For a great transfer of a film previously unvailable and an hour and a half of Lynch talking about it, it's worth it to me.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I knew the price too...and I don't have a problem with it. Here is a solution for all of you that don't want to spend that much money, don't buy it. I don't think complaining about the price is going to do anything.
Are you kidding? A HTF member who doesn't have the right to grouse & bitch about a DVD presentation, packaging or pricing structure is not a true HTF member IMO. ;)
I'll bitch about whatever I wish to within the forum rules thank you very much.

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
I don't think complaining about the price is going to do anything.
OK. I won't complain about the price, but I do think the shipping costs are ridiculous.
A store like Dv-Depot has DHL shipping to the Netherlands for USD 10,- (up to 7 discs), while I would have to pay close to USD 40,- for shipping this one title....

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I'll bitch about whatever I wish to within the forum rules thank you very much.
Bitch all you want, I'm not telling you to stop...I'm just saying that you probably won't accomplish anything by it.

As for the DVD, I got a chance to check it out this afternoon, and wow! I was amazed at how clean it looked and sounded. I haven't had a chance to check out the Lynch interview yet, but will try to tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks