What's new

ER Season 4 question Re: Aspect Ratio (1 Viewer)

David Bixenspan

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know whether or not this season is cropped 16:9 taken from 4:3 like the previous seasons, or if it's taken from the actual 16:9 source? I've read in the past that S4 is when they started shooting in widescreen since the Japanese sets were 4:3 for Seasons 1-3 and then 16:9 from Season 4-on.

Thanks,
-David

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
are you sure ER from seasons 1-3 is cropped from 4:3 ? I thought they shot for 4:3 but protected for 16:9 from the start with the exception of the credits. I realise the broadcast ratio was 4:3 but I didn't think they cropped it to 16:9 for the DVD.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Comparing WS to FF on the first 3 seasons, you can see that the episodes are slightly cropped at the top, while showing more info on the sides. So it's kind of a mixed thing.

Chris

Kenshiro

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ken
If the show was protected for 16:9 from the beginning I have no qualms with MAR for the first 3-4 seasons that were broadcast in 4:3.

I also had questions concerning the release pattern of this series, which is agonizingly slow when compared to other television product on disc.

Is this a result of culling for supplemental material, or a syndication broadcast rights entanglement, or something else entirely?

By the time Warner Bros. actually gets to the current season, 11th I think? DVD will be long dead.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks