What's new

Er 2/26/04 (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Another mish-mash of subplots abound.

Highlights:

Sam drops in on Luka who has Gillian staying with him while she's in town (that gal gets around the globe!). Luka manages to turn Sam away, but Sam knows something's up.

Later Sam is having second thoughts about her wanting to be casual, thus confusing Luka totally. Poor guy, damned if you do, damned if you don't. Sam spends most of the episode pissed at Luka, especially when Gillian shows up at the ER to confirm a dinner date and Sam spots them sharing a quick kiss in the hallway.

Eventually Luka breaks it off with Gillian, she knows that Luka wants to be with "the nurse". Luka shows up on Sam's doorsteps, and he apologizes. She pushes him away, go inside, and changes her mind and invites him back in. Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't...

A patient that was "treated" by Morris in the past hijacks a tank and is determined to make Morris's life miserable and has the tank headed for the ER. The tank chase is featured on the news and everyone in the ER can follow its progress as it makes its way towards them. Abby gives Morris as much grief as possible, though she put some of the blame on herself because the psycho never got the help he needed in the past visits to the ER. Finally the police surround the tank, the SWAT team opens up the hatch, throws a bomb inside, and then opens the hatch up again and start shooting on the inside, finally getting the psycho tank driver, who is brought into the ER with gunshot injuries. Morris actually shows some proficiency in ER medicine and saves the guy.

Frank's bigotry and xenophobia finally pushes Neelah over the edge and she rips Frank a new one. Later, Frank suffers a heart attack (blocked arteries), and Neelah is the one that finds him. Frank get some angioplasty done, but suffers complications, and Pratt was staying with Frank in the OR, though at the displeasure of the surgeon, and Pratt draws out enough blood to buy them some time to handle the complications. We find out that Frank is married and has a daughter with Down's Syndrome.

A 19 year old girl brings in her father who is pretty much in a vegatative state after suffering an accident on the job, and Sam feels the father should be relieved of his suffering, but the daughter is adamant about the doctors to keep "saving" him. It turns out that the man was committing incest with her in her teen years, and she basically kept him alive to make him suffer the past 2 years for his actions.

Luka deals with a 13 year old boy with some scotal injuries, and finds out he's contracted clamydia, and it turns out that this Romeo has been busy hooking up with 4 other girls. After the girls are tested, one is found to be suffering from clamydia and is in peril of losing a tube.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I must say, I was pretty pissed at Abby. She treated Morris like a dick through the whole episode, mistake or not calling a bluff and the tank guy go. Next there is good reason to think that a deadly tank is headed to the ER to despense with Morris and Abbey gives him more shit. Then when it comes time to intubate, Abby yells out "NO" when Carter wants Morris to do it. Pretty arrogant of her. And let's not forget the horrified look she gave when the cops shot the guy who STOLE A TANK and wreaked havoc on a city. Give me a break.

Frank has a heart attack and we find out he has a family. Is the wife the same one he waved a gun at in the pilot episode where he accident shot himself. Funny, while watching this episode, I realized how obese he was and wondered when he would eventually keel over and sure enough it happens. We find out he privately made some very complimentary comments about Neela. Pratt refers to him as a bigot, but I'm not sure that's true. I don't think Frank is really, truly a bigot even though he talks a big game. It does not seem that he hates anyone in the E.R. based on race. He gives everyone pretty much the same amount of shit.

Another thing occured to me and I can't believe I did not notice this until now, but what happened to the E.R. music? I think it helped build tension, but it is not there anymore.

Neil J

Stunt Coordinator
No, Frank is not dead, they had to do somekind of heart surgery.
Abbey was getting pretty annoying, being all sympathetic for the crazy guy.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
Yeah, that scene when the girl was talking about her dad. When she said "He liked it when I kept my hair wet", I did a double take to myself and thought, did she just tell Sam what I think she just told her?

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
Right before that comment she asked Sam if she believed that "people get what they deserve". She was obviously referring to her father sexually abusing her.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
That was one of the most subtle ways I have seen this issue brought up on a TV show. I had the same "Did she just imply what I think she did" reaction.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Is it just me or has ER suddenly turned into "unbelievable sequence of the week" events? I mean, Tanks, Helicopter crashes, etc.. ?

I somewhat miss the ER that really had a patient-story-focus of the week kind of element to it, which was sometimes serious and wild (a bus crash) or simple (rape, mugging, car accident, whatever)

But this "gigantic crazed event of the week" bit just seems so over the top I stopped being able to connect with it :frowning:

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunatley, I have to agree. I have just finished watching the 1st season on DVD and it is disheartening to see how much better that 1st season was compared to what we have now. It is also pretty insulting to a person's intelligence the way NBC touts every episode as a "Must See" or "Cannot Miss" This applies to pretty much all their big prime time shows. ER is very quickly becoming non essential viewing to me. Usually it is what I have on in the background when I come here and post about the night's episode of "Survivor" and "The Apprentice"

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Ironically, the Carter-less episodes were the top notch episodes of the season. This wasn't so hot, but I'm glad they treated Frank with more respect than they did Romano. Both are assholes, but Frank's a likeable one-of-the-guys asshole and Romano was unforgivable.
As for Abby and Morris, I think she totally treated him correctly. Even if this particular instance he wasn't wrong, he's too much of a screw-up to be sympathized with from me. Even the tank man seemed better to me, though I wasn't thrilled with the tank stunt. I did love the reactions of the staff watching it on TV and the ooowwww... when the tank smashed through the road block. Didn't really care much for Kovach's little bit. Weird considering the kid from "Holes" as sexually active. The braindead father/abused daughter plot had to be the standout MEOW.

Still a good episode for the Frank storyline alone.

Jon.M

Stunt Coordinator
My feelings are just about opposite. I find Frank to be pretty grating and one dimensional while Romano was usually always entertaining.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
IMO, the writers had Abby react the way she did to Morris is that she was thinking of the mental conditions of her mother and brother. She could see that this guy needed help but no one was willing to do anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks