What's new

Epson 8350: My Quick & Dirty Setup Results (1 Viewer)

winniw

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Reed
Well, I started thinking about a home theater around three months ago. It was the first time that I seriously considered a projector. I didn't know anything about projectors. I thought that they might have built-in tuners! Anyway, I thought that it might be a good way to get a really big picture for the price of an LED TV larger than my current 42". Everyone here knows the process that I went through to get where I am now because you went through it too.

My living room HT is almost done. I still need an AV rack and a few small things. Yesterday evening, my 8350 arrived via UPS. I had worried about a safe delivery for a week. It came in fine condition.

It was late and I didn't have a lot of time, so here's the quick and dirty part. I stacked two end-tables, with a combined height of 44" to put the projector on. It had to be high enough to shoot over a 32" cabinet on the far wall. I hooked up everything, put in "Total Recall" (the only DVD movie that I own, believe it or not), adjusted the image to the largest that it could go on that space (84") and watched it on the bare off-white, roller painted wall.

Wow! Stunning!

Like I said, it was late and I didn't even check to see what the settings were for the picture. I will check that tonight. But it was great. My woman and I agreed that we may not even need a screen. The colors were fantastic, especially the skin-tones. I kept looking for the wall texture but could not see it. It's my first projector so I cannot give it a deep critique... all I can say is that we are very happy with this purchase.

I could not get over the fact that I had used an old DVD, tweaked nothing, didn't use a screen... and was blown away.

Nick

For anyone wondering, my chain is: APC H15 > Oppo 93 > Marantz SR7005 > Epson 8350 > Aztec White, roller painted wall... hehehe!

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Congrats. It'll look even better after you adjust the settings with a calibration disc. As long as your wall is pretty smooth, with no major flaws, I wouldn't worry about a screen. A lot of people do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks