What's new

Epson 3020 vs 5020 vs 6020 (1 Viewer)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
LCD, just like LCD TV... Lousy contrast(although being projector this is mitigated) Really lousy motion control. DLP... Some people "see the rainbow".

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
schan1269 said:
LCD, just like LCD TV... Lousy contrast(although being projector this is mitigated) Really lousy motion control. DLP... Some people "see the rainbow".
Plus all LCD projectors have a filter that has to be removed and cleaned every 250 hours. My first DLP projector also had one, and I don't want to go back to that BS. Most LCD owners will tell you it's a minor thing, but I'd rather not have to do it. My main reason though is I prefer the look of the DLP image. DLP and LCD projectors produce a different looking image. That's why you should try to view both to see which type you prefer. The Rainbow Effect Sam mentioned is seen by a small % of people. You won't know if it affects you until you view one. The faster the color wheel speed, the less chance of seeing it.

arjunsud

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Arjun Sud
Ah wonderful! Thank You !! I will definitely check it out . do you have a good reccomendation for a 3D DLP projector? what about the bulb changing on a dlp??

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
the biggest problems with LCD are luminance and color uniformity and also panel alignment issues (convergence).

arjunsud

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Arjun Sud
what about 2.35:1 ? is it worth getting the AE8000 for just that considering i am primarily going to be using my projector to watch movies? Do any 3D movies use that ratio or are they all primarily 1.78 ( 16: 9 )

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
"Bulb change on DlP"??? Are you not aware you change bulbs on all projectors? Also, JVC/Sony (D-ILA/LCoS) are the best projectors, period. A D-ILA/LCoS has none of the drawbacks of LCD or DLP. The only issue is cost. They carry a 40% premium over a "similarly abled" LCD/DLP.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I have never seen a JVC so can't comment on them. I am fine with either LCD or DLP, no rainbow issues personally, the LCDs have always had the price edge for me so that has guided me, If price were no object no clue what I would buy. Price IS a concern for me and I need shift, so MY choices are between the 5020 and the 8000, and today the 5020 has the features I need for the best price. This could change tomorrow.

arjunsud

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Arjun Sud
Schan I went to a place called hifi sales . They told me that a really high end runco has no bulb so that is not a factor with them . Sam thank you it's very helpful to know what others in my situation are doing . Essentially I ask myself if I'm dropping about 3 on a projector , should I down about a grand more and get something that is also 4k so I don't have to worry about that in a year or so :-/ or should I just incrementally upgrade ....

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
LED lit projectors(for home theater) still cost a buttload. I also expect(yet don't take my word for it) their light sources will still be swappable. Sure they'll last 10-15 years...but what happens when you buy the one where the LED starts crapping out in 2 years?

arjunsud

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Arjun Sud
I see good point ! Can the epson 5020 display movies in 2.35:1 like the ae8000 ? They do mention the resolution under tech specs on epsons website ?

arjunsud

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Arjun Sud
I see good point ! Can the epson 5020 display movies in 2.35:1 like the ae8000 ? They do mention the resolution under tech specs on epsons website ?

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
arjunsud said:
Ah wonderful! Thank You !! I will definitely check it out . do you have a good reccomendation for a 3D DLP projector? what about the bulb changing on a dlp??
Mitsubishi HC7800 - With a 11' throw, will give you an image up to 108" diagonal. 4X color wheel speed, lens shift. Mitsubishi HC7900 - With a 11' throw, will give you an image up to 110" diagonal. 6X color wheel speed, lens shift. Less chance of seeing rainbows because of faster color wheel speed.

arjunsud

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Arjun Sud
Thank you ! Just so I understand , what is throw ? What does it mean ? Is it the Minimum distance required for the prokectors smallest supported screen size ?

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
arjunsud said:
Thank you ! Just so I understand , what is throw ? What does it mean ? Is it the Minimum distance required for the prokectors smallest supported screen size ?
Throw distance = the measurement from lens to screen(when mounted).

Parsonsk

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin
i've talked Epson and the difference between the 5020 and 6020 is significant. First off the lenses are completely different. Second the processor has been tweaked which allows a better picture the 5020 is a 3020 juiced up but the 6020 is new

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Parsonsk said:
i've talked Epson and the difference between the 5020 and 6020 is significant. First off the lenses are completely different. Second the processor has been tweaked which allows a better picture the 5020 is a 3020 juiced up but the 6020 is new
I was going by what Art said at Projectorreviews.com

arjunsud

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Arjun Sud
@ParsonsK ; Really? Did you try them out and were you able to tell them apart of have so seen any comparisons between the 2? I figuired something must give , given the large price difference? I was looking at the JVC X35. Has anyone tried it out? Have any opinion?

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I bought the Panny 8000. $2799 and I mailed a form that will give me a $100 rebate, 3 year warranty and two pairs of 3D glasses. Partially set it up last night. I have it on top of a book shelf and works fine for 2D but I need to have it up higher for 3D as I can see the light from the projector lens on the 3D glasses. The picture is amazingly bright even in the economy lens mode and a setting of Cinema1. I'll probably set it to Normal for 3D. You can have the lights on and it only dims the image slightly. OK you can all flame me for not having a screen but, I project it on to my wall and it looks fantastic to me and everyone else that has seen it. For 2.35 it fills the wall to the sides, 138 by 59 inches, 1.85 is 111 by 60. For 3D I tested the end of Hugo which has a lot of ghosting/cross talk on my Sony KDL55EX810. I could see very little or none on the Panny. Also with A Turtle's Tale: Sammy's Adventures, everything was a lot closer to my face than with the Sony. Of course this is because the ratio of the width of the picture to the distance to the screen is about 1.5:1 for the Panny and 2:1 for the Sony, I'm very happy with the projector and highly recommend it.

Users who are viewing this thread