Epsom Stylus 500 printer problem

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill McA, Jul 27, 2001.

1. Bill McA

Bill McA Producer

My Epsom Stylus 500 ink jet printer will no longer print in black and just last night the blue disappeared.
    Yes, the ink cartridges are full (I replaced them several times to be sure).
    The printer is functioning normally and I have used the unit's self-cleaning button MANY times, but still no black or blue printing.
    I'm guessing the ink has hardened or congealed somewhere in the system.
    Any ideas on cleaning or flushing out the printer????
    ------------------
    DVDBeaver & My DVD Collection

2. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

I had a similar problem with my old Epson 600, I tried everything to get it unclogged and the only thing that worked was taking it and dropping it down 11 flights of emergency exit stairs at my dorm room and then going out and replacing it with an Epson 777.

3. Bill McA

Bill McA Producer

4. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

I haven't decided that yet. The reason why I bought the 777 over the something like the 980 or the 880 was that I know I don't do a lot of printing, but just enough to need a printer. I will let you know when the 777 dies, its coming up on a year old and has already outlast the cheap 600.
    Seriously though, I heard if you take the heads out and use a hard bristled toothbrush and use alcohol it will normally clean it out, but I for some reason doubt that would have helped my 600 [​IMG]

5. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Bill:
    You might have bad ink carts. How old are they? Would you be able to trade them in? Did you email Epson about this?
    I just purchased a Epson Stylus Photo 780 that is 2880 x 1440 DPI, 6 color ink. The ink is specially formulated to last several years before fading. The printer was only $149 at Best Buy.
    If you can't get the ink to start working with new carts I can recommend the 780 as a replacement.
    Parker

6. Bill McA

Bill McA Producer