What's new

Entire Home Theater Setup (1 Viewer)

Kevin Abp

Auditioning
hey guys, my aunt and uncle asked me about recommending a home theater system for them today (receiver, speakers, cd changer, anything else they'd need) They're looking to spend about $1000-$1500.

Hifi buys recommended to her:
Denon DRA685 Receiver
MLES 6-way Selector
5 disc cd changer
Boston DSI460 In Wall Speakers
SVL1 Tabletop Volume
Volume Control VCS2dW
VoyagerPro Outdoor Speakers

I really don't know much about this and this is all the information I have

If anyone could make some comments or recommendations about what to buy or where to buy I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Kevin

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Kevin, it's hard to know what to say here...I think there's more backstory we dont know. Are you relatives older, lo-tech folks? Do they want a true home living room/den/basement system?

First, that Denon is a 2-chl stereo amp. There is no mention of a DVD player and the desire for HT DVD movies and surround sound speakers. All these volume controls? What are they for?

This sounds like some vacation home system, not a true home theater system. So what gives?

Kevin Abp

Auditioning
Hey, thanks for the response.

They're in their 40's and are fairly lo-tech people. They already have a nice dvd player, and it sounds like this isn't a good receiver for them. I'm not quite sure what the volume controls are for but the people at hifi-buys said they would be needed to transmit the sound to outdoor speakers.

Thanks again for the help.

-Kevin

Barry BB

Stunt Coordinator
Looks like you are talking about two different things here. You say that they want a home theater system yet the recommended equipment is a 2 channel receiver plus stuff that they need for outdoor speakers? For home theater you need an a/v receiver, minimum of 5 speakers, and a subwoofer.

Talk to your uncle and aunt and find out exactly what they are looking for in a system. Then come back here with some more specifics. You will get plenty of good help once we have a better understanding of what they want in a system.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i bet whoever recommended that setup is trying to route audio throughout the home and into the backyard. it doesn't sound like a home-theater setup...more like "music around the house" kind of stuff.

i'm not familiar with that gear, but if that is the intent (music around the house), then it seems like a decent setup. they appear to have paid attention to the ohm rating, etc.

however, if the intent is ht, then they better start from scratch.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks