Enterprise Season 3, worth it?

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by DeathStar1, Nov 3, 2003.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

I enjoyed Season 2, but havn't been watching Season 3 due to Smallville Competition. Is it worth it to wait for repeats, or don't bother?

2. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

It's Enterprise - pretty good one week, pretty not-good the next. There's an occasional nifty idea, but they're few and far between.

3. Will_B

Will_B Producer

Worth it. Much better than season two. This season, each episode is adding to a season-long story. It's not exactly "24" in terms of needing to watch every week, but if you do, you will be rewarded. Better action, and much improved cinematography, even for the effects shots of the ship moving through space. Much improved.

Some complaints that it has even less of the Next Gen spirit than the war-mongering DS9, but if you don't mind that this is kind of like a Republican version of Star Trek, it is pretty good.

4. Nicodemus

Nicodemus Stunt Coordinator

Sorry, this goes a bit off-topic but you said something about season 2 I don't agree...

We are watching season 2 on the moment (last episode we saw was Stigma) and it's been quite honestly awful! I liked season 1 a lot and even the first four episodes of season 2 were pretty good (and Minefield/Dead Stop were excellent!), but rest of season 2 have been almost unwatchable. Mediocre shows with poor storytelling which have already been seen in every Trek series before it. I'm truly disappointed. I like the premise and characters are fine (except for Travis) - but there's no ambition in the writing in the mid season 2.

Well, I hope that's gonna change - it's Future's End tonight.

5. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

I'd say that season three has been a fairly signifigant improvement. If you liked season 2, even slightly, I think you'll like 3. [​IMG]

Your milage may vary, of course. [​IMG]

6. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    Theres an article in this weeks TV guide (the one with O.C on it) that asks the question, are the series that have been retooled, like Enterprise, any better and the answer for this one (others were Frazier and The Practice) was a bit better but it was too little too late and audiences arent buying it. They say it will be lucky if it makes it longer than the original Treks 3 year mission.

I gave it a try again and I dont see any vast improvement but I am spoiled now after watching Season 1-3 of B5 over the summer for the first time.
    Enterprise doesnt get close to that quality of characters and stories.

7. Win Joy Jr

Win Joy Jr Stunt Coordinator

In my opinion,it has not improved. Last week was better, but I am not willing to bet that it continues.

Also, as a reply upthread... I'll put up a "Warmongering DS9" against Enterprise, TNG or V'Ger anyday. The quality of the writting is light years ahead of any of the other Treks.

8. doug zdanivsky

doug zdanivsky Supporting Actor

doug zdanivsky
    It's definately a step up from season 2, IMHO.

9. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    Even the heavy supporters of Enterprise seem to think its a pretty mixed bag.

10. BobV

BobV Second Unit

I dislike it when people assume to talk for others... but that aside [​IMG] ...

Myself, I find this season so far has been excellent, and this weeks episode looks to be another good one again.

That's my opinion.

11. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    I'm just reading the posts, oh and looking at the ratings.

12. Will_B

Will_B Producer

Who cares about the ratings? Just release them straight to DVD, forget the UPN.

Stupid to put the show up against the comic book show though, they should move it so they're not at the same time, given that there's some crossover audience. The geek factor.

13. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason

14. Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball Screenwriter

Jason_V,

You may want to consider putting your DS9 comments in spoiler tags, since you basically give away the finale, and other plot-points that haven't been seen on the DVD releases, yet.

While I agree with your point, there are people out there who are seeing DS9 for the first time on DVD.

-Scott

15. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

As others have said, this season is an improvement, but I can't help thinking that it is only because they couldn't make their original concept work, so they changed it. They did the same thing with Voyager, completely throwing out the Maquis plot thread and basically tried to remake it as NG lost in space. (With rather bland characters.)

While I think the execution of the current plot is pretty decent, it doesn't really fit in with what the concept of this show is supposed to be, which is the early days of the Federation. If this wasn't a Trek show, and the first season, I'd say the show was promising.

Jason

16. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey

17. Will_B

Will_B Producer

18. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    I think the people who like Trek watch it when it is on TV. Trek has been milked and milked and milked. Even Die hards like myself have gotten tired of the mediocre storytelling. Sure if they had brought new writers in and it was challenging us and it just happened to get away from people than I would be the first one on here suggesting Paramount to release it but the show wasnt doing good even before they moved it opposite Smallville hense the reimagining of it.
    Even The Big Motion Pictures havent been doing well.

19. Paul Fernandez

Paul Fernandez Auditioning

What I've always wanted is a Star Trek series that shows only the Klingons and their home world with very little interaction with the milly mouth humans. And, the characters would not devolve down to human compasion and sensibilities. They would maintain their sense of warrior race.