What's new

"Enterprise" - First Reviews (1 Viewer)

Jim DiJoseph

Second Unit
First of all - Loved the pilot episode!
icon14.gif

Here's a take on the decontamination scene that hasn't been mentioned. I noted halfway through the scene that it seemed gratuitous, then I wondered whether they were setting up a future love interest between the commander and the science officer (as someone else mentioned). However, just before the commander left the chamber, he let into the Vulcan one last time - I can't remember the exact lines, but he virtually insulted her and her race. At that point, I felt like the scene served to show the true indignation that humans have built up toward the Vulcans. I mean here this guy was - oiling an otherwise hot chick, and he couldn't care less! He felt nothing.
Just my take on it. Obviously the scene was meant to pull the guys in, but I think it may have another meaning as well.
Cheers!
------------------
Remember...no matter where you go, there you are.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
michael gage -
this is (supposedly) a really good site for star trek stuff. i haven't really checked it out, but it does look kinda cool.
http://members.aol.com/treknexus/
------------------
You step in the stream,
But the water has moved on.
This page is not here.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Watch Star Trek: First Contact. That should be basically all the answers you need for background to Enterprise. Seeing the other series would help however.
Background for that movie: The Borg are a race of cybernetic beings that assimilate others into their collective. They are linked into one hive mind. Capt. Picard was once assimilated by the Borg (in one of thebest 2 parters of all television history). The Borg can also adapt to almost any weapon or situation, and render it null and void.
Other than that, you should be OK
On the subject of breaking continutiy, I'm sorry, but no one in this age will watch a show with those sets and outfits. If TOS were made today, it would have similar sets to Enterprise. Therefore, I think they made a logical progression based on current knowlege 35 years later
Jeff Kleist
[Edited last by Jeff Kleist on September 27, 2001 at 12:42 PM]

Adrian_N

Agent
Well, I won't repeat what most have said already. The show does look interesting and is starting out better than any of the previous series. I was most impressed with the sets. I thought they were amazing. Obviously much hard work when into them.
I was most impressed with the doors. They actually had to open doors in this episode! I can't remember what doors were on the Enterprise, but the Earth scenes had normal sing open doors with hydralic closing.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Anybody know the exact date Enterprise NX-01 was launched?
Enterprise NX-01 - Commissioned 2151 (Design patterned after the Akira Class Star Ship, first seen in "First Contact" / Borg Cube assault, last ship seen after the Cube'e explosion, 5.1 sound starting when you see the ship front and center, sound moving quickly to the right rear surround and beyond towards the back corner.)
Phil
------------------
http://www.geocities.com/p_iturra

Dan Paolozza

Stunt Coordinator
The theme took me by surprise, but I don't think I disliked it. Maybe could have done without the lyrics, but it helped shift gears from traditional Treks, if nothing else. I don't think it hurt the show, espcially since they're trying to capture new audience.
I got the same ideas from the decontamination scene as Jim D. pointed out. I think it was definitely a scene to establish her as the the series' resident piece of ass, but accepting that, it looks like they were trying to do something else with it as well.
Over all (of course I had nagging gripes with it), I really liked it, and if the episodes follow suit, this will be a worthy redemtion for the Star Trek franchise.

Bryan

Stunt Coordinator
First: My wife and I liked the show. For a first episode, it was great.
I didn't like the Theme. Not in true ST fashion at all.
I thought the decontamination scene was just to show who the sex symbols were and what they are made of. It was for all the good boys and girls that love the show. Think you'll ever see 7 of 9 do that? No.
As far as alot of things in the show (Klingons forheads and the war that was supposed to be started during the first Klingon meeting), it was stated that they would take some liberties along that line and others.
I thought the friendships got built too fast. I see rocky roads ahead, but T'pol agreeing to stay onboard was not done as well as, say, Sisko asking Picard not to send in the transfer papers from DS9's first episode.
Still, I really thought the show was very well done and I can not wait for Wednesdays now.
Trek Is Back!!

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
I give it a B. The good: The FX are better than ever. Bakula comes across nicely. I like the Japanese translator babe. I like the Vulcan-Human problems. I'm curious about the villain.
The bad: Too long with too much pointless dialogue and enough with the sentimental stuff. Those flashbacks bored the hell out of me. The crew is still too "clean" despite their temper tantrums. Why "Bio-signs" and not Life-signs, as with the original series? The techno-babble, which the producers promised would not be here, IS here.
angry.gif

The erotic massage sequence is as gratuitous and stupid as anything in recent memory. It stopped the show cold. Who can even remember what the characters were saying?
Last, but not least, the last minute TRANSPORTER RESCUE! I knew this would be here six months ago and I cannot believe they would resort to it. Berman and Bragga are two very tired writers and I hope like hell this does not turn into another VOYAGER because it it does, I and many others will jump the shark.
Will it be letterboxed each week?
------------------
www.deceptions.net/superman

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I simply hate getting into a discussion this late.
Refer to Jason Seaver's comments--in that they echo my feelings to a great extent. This is the best Trek series opener since TOS's. It really was decent.
Obviously, much effort has gone into making these characters likable and accessible. Paramount made much use of their focus groups. But T'Pol, dish though she may be, still doesn't have the Vulcan "feel" to her. Give her some time, I suppose.
Bakula was good. The production values above-par. The theme music--well, there's the rub. I liked the visuals in the opening--designed to give us that misty-eyed feeling from witnessing humankind's ongoing quest for the stars. Real patiotic, from a humanistic angle. But the music--ugh. Give us an orchestral score.
Look, this pilot held me in its grip for the entire two hours. Not once did a Voyager episode hold my attention or interest all the way through--except to make fun of it.
I am very pleased so far. Enterprise is off to a good start, Berman'n'Braga notwithstanding (and they friggin' wrote this episode).
After seven interminable years, it looks as if Star Trek really has returned.
I give this one a B+/A-.
------------------
2001-a.jpg

Steve Enemark

Second Unit
Here are my .02 credits:
I liked it better than the premieres for the other ST spinoffs, but there were still many problems.
Cap'n Dreamboat: boring, but he has a dog! More like Kirk than any other captain we've seen (that's good!)
Science Officer Saline: copy of 7 of 9, only with bigger implants (rolls eyes)
Helmsman Token Black Guy: nothing to comment on here, no character development yet
Weapons Officer with British Accent: ditto
Dr. Alien: Urgh, I have a bad feeling about this. Like a cross between Neelix and a Thermian from Galaxy Quest
Engineer Hillbilly: Who? I kept mistaking him for the Cap'n or the Weapons Officer, the lighting is so dim
Communications Officer/Translator/Token Asian: I liked her a lot. The one original character so far
The ship looked *great*, like a cross between Kirk's Enterprise and a submarine. Finding an enemy base within the liquid insides of a gas giant ruled! Plus, the grappling lines in place of a tractor beam was very cool. Almost total lack of Treknobabble, until the last half hour (see below). The Suliban are neat! They have a total lack of personality, but they can do neat tricks like oozing under doors, turning invisible and climbing walls like Spider-Man.
The story was OK, but I missed about 75% of the dialog in the time travel guy's reverberation chamber. Note to writers: don't make the main bad guy's dialog unintelligible. What were the Suliban after? What did Klang's message say? Weren't the Klingon's bad guys back then?
Up until the last half hour, the show "worked", but then they started in with the nonsense with the gizmo that made the base fall apart and the cool villains turned completely stupid. Whoops, darn those earth men are clever, why didn't we build our base a little better? Plus the dialog was usually pretty dull, they need to hire some real writers. Oh, Rick Berman and Brannon Braga wrote it, 'nuff said.
I give it
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
out of
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
------------------
"Always make the audience suffer as much as possible" - Alfred Hitchcock

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
I enjoyed it very much. Thought it petered out (no relation) at the end however. Do we need to have another laser battle go on and on? LIke the previous series, I fully expect the characters to develop more as the actors get into them. I always thought that the first TNG episodes suffered from stiff acting. This wasn't as bad in my opinion so Enterprise is on the right track. Hope they keep the humor going (as well as the arguments).
icon14.gif

------------------

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
That song was horrible, and will certainly grate if they keep it week after week. Imagine my surprise when it turned out to be a Diane Warren song. /sarcasm
Does anyone know if it's going to be widescreen every week, or was this a one-time deal?

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I agree with everybody. Oh, wait, wrong thread.
No, I am a TOS fan, and I think that they are going in the right direction with this one, but I am keeping my fingers crossed.
But, the opening music blew big chunks - but while I was hearing it, I wondered if they might change a part of it in a month or too, and after months and months, gradually bring in Star Trek opening theme music like we know it.
I did miss some pre-history. They seemed to pass over it rather fast. I was wondering if there was any chance in hell that they might come out with a Star Trek, the Movie, #0, and cover the period between First Contact and Enterprise, and if it would be any good, or work in the time period during the Enterprise episodes.
Glenn

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
"We still had DS9!"
*blushes*
I stand corrected on that obvious faus pax.
However, I wouldn't characterize late TNG acting/characterization as bland. If anything, consider such episodes as "Lower Decks" and "The Pegasus."
As for Enterprise--how could the powers that be not have realized that something had gone terribly with all that was Voyager? If Enterprise had been the series that premiered back in January of 1995--and had the quality been maintained--the franchise would still be healthy.
Though I didn't think it possible, it looks as if Trek is on the road to recovery. And if Star Trek: Nemesis turns out to be as good as the Internet rumors have it (see Tino's now-revived thread in "Movies"), good days are ahead.
Talk about living long and prospering.
------------------
2001-a.jpg

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
As for Enterprise--how could the powers that be not have realized that something had gone terribly with all that was Voyager?
Well, they were the cause of things going terribly wrong with "Voayger" and ran Ron Moore out of town. Their judgment is sort of suspect.

Jodee

Screenwriter
I mean here this guy was - oiling an otherwise hot chick, and he couldn't care less! He felt nothing.
Obviously not..didn't anyone else notice the major WOOD that the actor was sporting?
I kid you not, I am surprised no one else is abuzz on the internet about this, I was laughing my butt off.
Halfway through the titillation rubdown scene, I was thinking how softcore it was. Suddenly they showed a wide shot of the two of them, and the camera pans downward.
The actor has a noticeable stiffie! Then it cut to a close-up of her rubbing his thigh and in the next wide shot it was back down to normal.
No one must have noticed it because they were staring at T'Pol's nipples. (or Ni'Pol as I read elsewhere her name should be :) )
I have a ReplayTv and I kept running it back because I was laughing so hard.
Major pup tent. I always wondered if actors get aroused during hot scenes..now I know!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks