What's new

Enterprise 10/2/02 (1 Viewer)

Mike Soltis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
my problem with the shuttlepod hatch 'shields' was this...
how could you manage to time your spin just right so the door is between you and the blast at the exact moment...
even moreso, how the heck do you spin in space? pardon my ignorance, never having actually been in space...

Jeremy Illingworth

Supporting Actor
I'm just glad the minefield episode is over with. You knew they were going to do a minefield/boobytrap episode eventually.

One minor thing that bugged me was that Trip was hessitant to removed the piece of plating from the hull because it would leave that section vulnerable. With the gaping hole in the front of the ship I would assume they're heading straight for the first space mechanic they find; can't it just be replaced then?

And big thing that bugged me was at the end when the explosion blew both men into the docking bay.
I felt like the writer was running out of pages and made that very simple and convinient.

jeremy

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor
While the end was certainly rushed to get them picked up, I don't think they were trying to imply that they were blown into the docking bay, rather that travis was trying to scoop them up with the Enterprise.

Peter D

Stunt Coordinator
My question is why wasn't the transporter even discussed as an option? It surely would have been less risky than what they ultimately tried. I get the feeling that the writers are sorry they introduced it at the start of the show and are ignoring it hoping we will forget.

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
....HTF's harshest critics of Enterprise.
And the number one is...Jack himself?
Jack, I'm sure you will not like it. I can't believe you will ever like any Enterprise episodes. :D
I missed the season premiere (met up with a bunch of guys in CA) but the other two episodes so far this season have been winners in my opinion. The show is getting better. While I still expect an occasional stinker episode I believe (hope) they will continue to improve just like the other 3 series did.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I believe the reason the transporter is not used here is that the level of refinement is not there yet. Remember last year when the crazed crewman was transported from the surface of the planet in the windstorm, the blowing leaves were not filtered out and they materialized in his skin.

In the case of Malcom, it seemed that they likely would have transported the leg of the mine or the whole mine too and that would have set it off. Plus it was stated as a device they don't trust or feel comfortable using yet.

Nelson

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
One minor thing that bugged me was that Trip was hessitant to removed the piece of plating from the hull because it would leave that section vulnerable. With the gaping hole in the front of the ship I would assume they're heading straight for the first space mechanic they find; can't it just be replaced then?
He was probably worried about the immediate threat of the Romulans or the possibility of something on the way to said space mechanic. Who knows how far of a trip that would be?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
One of them being me. ... :)
Mr. Anderson, please do a search on all Enterprise threads in this section (there have been many, as you well know). You might be shocked to discover that I was one of this series' most hopeful advocates in the earliest days. That didn't last long, though!

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Remember, Jack and I (and others) are hard on "Enterprise" because we love Star Trek, and expect more from it. With the resources, prestige, and thirty-five-year history Paramount has at their disposal, "Enterprise" should be setting the standard to which other space-based shows aspire. To a certain extent, being OK isn't enough.

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Remember, Jack and I (and others) are hard on "Enterprise" because we love Star Trek,
I know Jason. I believe I love all things Trek just as much. Maybe for me I can forgive/overlook some of it's weaknesses. Am I wrong for doing that? I don't think so. It's a prejudice I am proud to have. I try not to compare the different series. Nor do I look very hard to find mistakes or continuity issues. Yes it bothers me when they are blatant. If the series was a stand alone series, without TOS, TNG, DS9, Voyager, various movies, and books, would some enjoy it more? Would it be entertaining Sci-Fi?

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Frank Anderson wrote:
All other things being equal, it would still be mighty derivative. That fact alone would stifle enthusiasm, let alone approbation, from some quarters.
The foremost problem with the show is that we've seen so much of this elsewhere, not just in Trek. As someone pointed out in another thread devoted specifically to the inconsistency issue, discrepancies abounded even in TOS (not that that was real news to some of us). People's problems with these discrepancies, however, go way down if the stories are good, which most often hasn't been the case with Enterprise. It often doesn't seem as if they're even trying. And that, above all, is what makes some of us so nitpicky and mercilessly critical. I, for one, have had too much invested in the "franchise" to be so callously taken for granted.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
And the problem can be traced all the way back to the very first season of TOS. Such high standards of storytelling were established then, and later carried to even greater heights with TNG and DS9, that nothing less than a commitment to excellence is acceptable—I mean, we're talking Star Trek here. As Rex said, B&B and crew don't appear to be trying. And that must mean they simply don't care. It shows.

They are taking for granted the core viewership. Just because the Star Trek brand is attached to a series doesn't mean the longtime Trek faithful are going to eat it up. The abysmal ratings seem to bear that out.

I do look forward to checking this episode out tomorrow, though.

Andrew Beacom

Supporting Actor
A passable episode. The ending was much too cute for my liking. Although the magic wrap things up in 5 minutes was in place before Voyager perfected it.

The shows good episodes still lack somthing to me. A certain spark the TNG and TOS had. I'm not sure what it is yet. If it's chemistry or just a captain with personality.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I think the main problem that Trek fans (who aren't enamored with Enterprise) have is that they feel the current series is just "treading water" or adrift in space.

As a character development piece, this episode was okay. The dogged determination (of Archer's) of never losing a man under his command if at possible will be a staple of Starfleet captains to come. I have no doubt future Starfleet captain will read of Archer's journal entries and come away with that "never give up" attitude which is was so pravalent and entertaining in TOS.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Ahh, but don't we all feel sorry for any woman or man wearing a red shirt who had to beam down with Jim Kirk? :)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Anecdotal addendum to the above:
Years ago, I was posting at a Star Trek board (keep that quiet, please), and we had a contest thread to come up with the best names for red-shirted ensigns from the TOS era: Ensign Deadmeat, Ensign Phaser-Toast, Ensign Target Practice, Ensign Disposable, etc., etc.
"He's dead, Jim." :)

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I was OK with the episode. The only thing I have a real problem with is Malcolm's desire to sacrifice himself, when the worst case senario would be that he loses his leg. (Which we know they won't do, since he's a major character.)

A minor niggle is T'pol calling them "The Romulans", when that's the name humans gave them, but since that's the only way most fans know them as...

The problem a lot of us have with the show is that this is a prequel, which does have more restrictions than a normal show. There is a well defined history for Star Trek, developed with the TV shows and the books. The problem isn't little inconsistancies, but ignoring things wholesale, which hurts my enjoyment of the series. Also, having nothing new to add to the stale formula, with characters that are very bland to me, (Hell, I thought the Voyager characters had more life.) there isn't much to keep me a fan. I watch the shows still, when I happen to be home and have nothing better to do, but I don't go out of my way to watch it.

Jason

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
with characters that are very bland to me
Yeah, that's my biggest problem with it, too (and Voyager). I can be remarkably forgiving of things like scientific inaccuracies, timeline contradictions, and even plot holes if the characters are interesting.

As I watch the DVDs of TNG, I look forward to each and every episode, even the many lesser ones, simply because it's another chance to see Pickard, Date, et al in action, and I at least get some entertainment out of that. Right now, I couldn't care less about T'Pol and the English guy and the captain with more balls than brains and token minority characters on Enterprise.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks