Enormous space, but no OST?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Mattias_ka, Oct 20, 2006.

1. Mattias_ka

Mattias_ka Supporting Actor

Yes, I have seen a very disturbing trend on many HD releases. That they only comes with a remixed audiotrack and not the original. I really hope this will stop because I don't want to have to choose between better resolution (HD) or OST (DVD). Have anyone more thought about this?

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Don’t forget that a good many DVDs have had remixed sound tracks. There appears to be some market for surround sound on older movies that were made in stereo or mono. Also some releases have had remixes that expanded the frequency range of the original recordings.

For me, I’d rather have original sound track, but altering them is hardly a practice that began with HD.

3. Dave_P.

Dave_P. Supporting Actor

Yep, just look at the wonderful DD remix of The Terminator that's on the DVD and Blu-Ray discs. Arnie's handgun mysteriously seems to have received an invisible silencer. Maybe courtesy of Cyrberdyne? No original track to be found.

4. JediFonger

JediFonger Producer

YiFeng You
    are there AVR's that downmix multichannel into mono into center channel? i'd like to think there is... but it sounds like many AVR's take mono and expand that into surround more. i mean, that's like the same effect if people want mono =). it's like people w/o 5.1 but playback DVD's encoded with ONLY DD5.1, it can be demux into 2.0.

5. Mattias_ka

Mattias_ka Supporting Actor

Yes, this kind of things make me *holding my breath*, angry. And I will never buy a HD-DVD when they destroy's the original movie like that. I still "only" have the THX LD on that one.

6. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

At least in the case of The Terminator, the sound effects have been changed so you may be able to 'change' it to mono but it's not the original.

7. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Funny reaction, given the fact that The Terminator is not on a HD DVD disc, but on Blu-ray.

But I understand your feelings.

In fact, I'm rather angry myself, I started buying three Blu-ray discs: T1, T2 and The Fifth Element (trusting they would do their very best to make the new format shine), and as it appeared they were all f*%!ed up in different ways. [​IMG]
    Image bad, sound track not restored, scratches and fuzzy. Not really *worse* than the SDVD version, but certainly not worth the price or the format.

Cees