What's new

Enjoying Elvis in 5.1 (1 Viewer)

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
I went to a local Best Buy today looking for the Elv1s DVD-Audio disc and could not find it. They had a few copies a couple of weeks ago. It's good to see that this disc is selling. That's great for the format. They also did not have the Donald Fagen Nightfly DVD-Audio disc or the John Coltrane A Love Supreme SACD. I don't know if they ever had these titles, but perhaps they sold out of them too.
Keith,

The Elvis DVD-A were priced at 24.99 at Best Buy which surprises me even more that they sold. That is higher then MSRP on those discs. With the Holidays and popularity of Elvis, this sounds like it could end up being a decent seller for a Hi-res title.

I still have yet to find Donald Fagen in the three Best Buy I frequent over the past couple weeks. Either they did not get copies of his disc in, or they got a few and sold out quickly. This looks like another titles I am going to have to order online.

J

anthony_b

Screenwriter
Keith, I played it on my DVD-A player using my optical output just as a test (DD vs MLP) and was able to get high rez using the digital output in stereo (96/24).

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Anthony,

Thanks for the information.

Justin,

If you are in Delaware anytime soon, check out Bert's Compact Discs on Concord Pike for the Donald Fagen DVD-Audio disc. They had one copy yesterday for $14.99. If you have not been to Bert's before, it is on the northbound side of Concord Pike (Rt. 202) on a corneer, just across the side street from Overture.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
If you are in Delaware anytime soon, check out Bert's Compact Discs on Concord Pike for the Donald Fagen DVD-Audio disc. They had one copy yesterday for $14.99. If you have not been to Bert's before, it is on the northbound side of Concord Pike (Rt. 202) on a corneer, just across the side street from Overture.
Thanks Keith for the heads up. I have actually noticed Bert's there before but have never stopped in...my mistake:b How is the rest of their selection in terms of Hi-res and CDs in general?

J

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I finally picked up this disc at Best Buy yesterday (used a 10% coupon plus a holiday gift certificate, so it cost me nothing out-of-pocket). Anyway, I was initially disappointed in the 5.1 DVD-Audio mix, especially after hearing the stereo bonus tracks and thinking how great this album would have sounded completely in high-res stereo. Luckily, a search on good ol' HTF resulted in discovering that there was indeed a high-res stereo mix on the disc! I finally had a reason to use that GROUP button on my RP-91's remote after 1.5 years. :) Seriously, I've never used the GROUP button, and had to figure out how it worked with the RP-91 (for some reason, I had assigned it on my universal remote, so that step was avoided).
A major :thumbsdown: to BMG for giving absolutely no indication that there was a stereo mix on this disc. No menus, no mention on the packaging, nothing. Without the Internet, I would never have found the mix.

robertLP

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone know why they chose the regular CD-type packaging instead of the super jewel box? Are they trying to get this title in the CD section of retailers?

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Anyone know why they chose the regular CD-type packaging instead of the super jewel box? Are they trying to get this title in the CD section of retailers?
That is a good question. I doubt they were trying to get this release into the CD section of retailers simply from the fact that they supposedly limited the pressing to 25k copies. The lack or menus and recycling of the booklet from the CD (not a bad thing) show this was either a rush job or simply BMGs first DVD-A and they are still trying to get the hang of things.

This release in general did not seem very well thought out though. There were really no rumors that the disc was to be released until the official announcement was made about a month before street date. BMG then did nothing from the standpoint of advertisement, making this disc an item only those who frequented internet forums such as this knew about. Despite these downfallings, from all indications, the disc has sold very well for a Hi-res release. Hopefully this means there will be more DVD-A to come in the future from BMG.

J

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I found a single copy in the CD section at Best Buy (after finding none in the DVD-Audio section). With its similar packaging to the CD, I'm surprised that I was able to even pick it out of the pile of Elvis CD's in the bin.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Finally picked this up and am enjoying the stereo track.

Why do they have the songs in reverse chronological order? The liners say it's for "optimum listening enjoyment." I don't understand how.

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
Why do they have the songs in reverse chronological order?
I think they did it so the 5.1 stuff would hit you right away. The much earlier stuff is not as 5.1ish as the later tracks. The 2-ch mix plays the same way due to one list for the liner notes.

Dale Ridgeway

Stunt Coordinator
hey guys,
Im not an Elvis fanatic, but it seems like every well rounded person should have some Elvis in their music library.
Where can I find it for a reasonable price???
The CD is easy to come by, but I cant find the DVD-A anywhere. A few months ago I found it at a Best Buy in Phx for 29.99!!!!!!! I passed on it because of the price.
Ive done a seach and cant find it at dvdplanet either.
im sure I can find it at amazon, but im sure there are better prices online somewhere.
Any suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks