Enigma: SE - Jan 28???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chad E, Jan 26, 2003.

1. Chad E

Chad E Stunt Coordinator

In this week's issue of TV Guide, I read in their Video/DVD article that Enigma was being released this week. (Admittedly, the article does not make clear whether they are referring to a VHS or DVD release.)

I knew that a bare-bones version of Enigma had been released last fall, but I had never seen it in a B&M around here. I also hadn't seen any announcements about the SE being released this month. I looked around a couple websites, and found that Future Shop's site lists an Enigma Special Edition with a Jan 28 2003 release date. The special features are listed as:

Audio Commentary - 1. Michael Apted - Director
    Trailers
    Featurette - 1. Making Of
    Deleted Scenes with Director's Commentary

Now, this was the only site I could find this particular release date listed on. I thought maybe it was a Canadian exclusive, but DVDBoxOffice.com didn't seem to have this info either.

I know that originally the release from fall of 2002 had been listed as an SE with those features, and I have also read on this forum that an SE of this movie should be out this spring. Is this just a late Canadian release of the bare-bones disc, and Future Shop has just posted info from the original press release? Or is this actually the rumoured SE (possibly with the release date off by a couple months)?

If anyone in the know could shed some light on this, it would be appreciated.

BTW - the disc art that Future Shop has posted is the same cover as the bare-bones disc, but with a blue "Special Edition" banner at the top. The font seems to match that of other Columbia/Tristar Special Editions (ref. 6th Day: SE), but it's hard to tell for sure since you can't get a larger version of the cover on Future Shop's site.

2. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

I love this movie, but I'm going to wait for the reviews of the SE before buying. The transfer for the last release was absolutely awful, according to reports.

Fingers crossed though for 28/1. [​IMG]

3. Patrick Mirza

Patrick Mirza Supporting Actor

Enigma SE is coming, but not on 1/28/03. Columbia hasn't announced a date yet.

Those extras are correct, however.

4. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

Transfer was terrible. Unwatchable. I had rented it and skipped watching it. Hopefully the new 1 will be proper!

[​IMG] D

5. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Ditto on the transfer--absolutely the worst I've ever seen and totally inexcusable. I did manage to suffer thru it as the film itself was imho quite good.

6. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

I too am waiting on a SE with a decent transfer. What happened?

I looked in other regions for a good copy of this but they're all MAR'd to 1.85:1 overseas! At least we got OAR. Someone at the studio really doesn't like this film considering the treatment it got.

7. Malcolm Cleugh

Malcolm Cleugh Second Unit

8. James Reader

James Reader Screenwriter

9. Chad E

Chad E Stunt Coordinator

As I expected after reading Patrick's post, there were no copies of Enigma: SE available at Future Shop today. (Although their website now claims "In Stock: Usually Ships Next Business Day"...)

I asked about this title at Cinema1, and they indicated it was in their system for a February 18 release date. Patrick mentioned that Columbia had not officially announced a date yet... it seems unusual to me that they would not have made an announcement by now if it was really going to be released three weeks from now. So, I'm assuming I shouldn't believe the Feb 18 date either?

Where would these retailers be getting these dates? Why does this release have to be such... (dare I say it?) ... an enigma?

10. Johnny G

Johnny G Supporting Actor

I see you're in Canada Chad.

This is the first time Enigma has been released in Canada because the theatrical release was much later than the US, in fact it was still in some theaters when the US DVD was released.

So unfortunately it's not the SE you were hoping for. [​IMG]

11. Patrick Mirza

Patrick Mirza Supporting Actor

If it were coming out on February 18th, we would have heard by now. Studios announce titles at least 4-5 months in advance.

My guess is that Enigma: SE, as well as that Enough: SE, will come out in the Summer or early Fall. This is just a guess, though.

Columbia still has Resident Evil, Blackhawk Down ,Panic Room, and Punch-Drunk Love Special Editions to release - and they can't bunch them all up at the same time.