What's new

Energy vs Klipsch vs Paradigm (1 Viewer)

Paul Chalk

Stunt Coordinator
I already have a small Klipsch Quintet home theatre, but it's being used for my computer.

I would like to make a system for my living room, and I want to start by getting some decent bookshelf speakers. I'll get the center, surrounds and sub later. This system is going to be 50% music and 50% movies.

I have narrowed my choices down to three speakers that fit my budget.

Energy Veritas v2.1

Klipsch RB-5 II

Paradigm Studio/40

What are your opinions on these speakers for both music playback and movies?

When I was looking to upgrade my speakers from the Energy Take 5 system a couple years ago, I looked closely at the Energy and Paradigm lines. I've never liked the Klipsch horn tweeter sound for music -- for home theater applications, I think they're great. But like you, my priorities were about 50/50.

I didn't get the chance to listen to the Veritas line, but I did listen to Energy's Connisseur series (the C-2 and C-6). Outstanding. However, to me, nothing in that price range compared to what I heard from the Paradigm Reference Studio/60's. The 40's use the same driver array and will sound very similar.

Secondly, the matching Studio/CC is considered one of the very best center channel speakers under $1000.

-A.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
you do have plans to audition these brands in your own home no? if so pick the one that sounds pleasing to your ear as they are all reputable brands. one advantage of the klipsh is their sensitivity...as to which sounds better? that's a personal preference.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Definitely a personal preference. I have found most Energy speakers to be too "tinny". Not exactly too bright, but something that I don't like about the tweeters. Not bad speakers, but not my first choice (though I would take them over Klipsch).

Klipsch are just plain too bright for me. This could be related to their high sensitivity and horn tweeters, but they would not be in my choice.

The Studios can sound a bit harsh on the high end at louder volumes, but I feel they have the best sound and are the most detailed of the 3 you mentioned. (Paradigm both in my main and bedroom systems...)

As mentioned, this is only an opinion: mine. Your ears may tell you a different story.

In that price range, you should also try to give B&W a listen. One of my favorite speakers is the CDM-1NT.

Michael De Costa

Stunt Coordinator
Paul-not being too sure of the exact budget, I would go on the limb to say you are making a big mistake by not adding Definitive Technology to that list. I recently purchased a complete setup of Definitives and cannot say enough good things about them. Every person that comes over my house to watch movies or even listen to music is absolutely impressed with their performance. The Def offer powered subs in their towers that do an incredible job of pushing some deep hard hitting bass. I no longer need a separate sub. Hearing is believing, trust me and you won't be sorry. Good luck!

Andrew Beck

Stunt Coordinator
I'd like to comment on the speaker choices. Personally I love paradigm speakers and think they are outstanding for the price. However, Klipsch are my favorite speakers and what I use in my system at home for some very basic reasons. I don't listen to alot of classical, or instrumental music. I rarely go to the symphony (although I do enjoy it when I go). I want my system to recreate what I hear when I listen to music live. I listen to mainly quirky pop and avant garde electronic music. When I see this music performed live it is almost always played out of horn tweeters. The same goes for movies. Look on the speakers on the wall at the theater next time you go. 9 times out of 10 the speakers have a horn tweeter.

They may not be the most detailed or accurate speakers in the world. But when I listen to music on my system it sounds just like I'm listening to radiohead perform in a small club. The same goes for the movies. It sounds like a movie theater.

Maybe it's because I'm a hobbiest and not an audiophile but I want to recreate what I hear when I go out in my home. If I wanted to recreate the symphony I'd be using Paradigm Acitive 20's but that's a whole other issue.

Hope this helps a bit. Speaker choice is really an individual decision that you have to make yourself. It depends highly on what you listen to and what you want it to sound like

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Many people do find Klipsch speakers to be bright. You may be used to this from your Quintet. Remember one thing: speakers will allways sound brighter in your home than they do in a showroom. Speakers that have a high end that sparkles in the showroom will be too bright for most people at home.

Bryan Acevedo

Second Unit
Remember - that you have to listen! I have Klipsch Reference speakers and I absolutely love them. They sound great to me. Other speakers don't sound "bright" enough. This is probably because I have a lower hearing level at higher frequencies. Others may find them bright because they can hear better at higher frequencies. You have to listen to find out what sounds best to YOU.

That is why there are so many different types of speakers - everyone hears differently. It's kind of like telling you that your favorite color is wrong - it is personal preference. However, just because you like a speaker that can't produce bass or highs doesn't make that a good speaker, it just means you like that sound. My RB-5's were measured to be a very accurate speaker, and if I don't like the sound, it's usually because the source is not great.

I think they sound just as good on music as on HT. The detail in the music is incredible.

The brands you have listed are all high quality, so going with whatever sounds best to you should give you great results.

Good luck and let us know what you choose.

Bryan

Jason Au

Grip
I like the Klipsch as well. I'm getting the reference set rf-3 II, etc. If space permits, I'd suggest checking out the RF-3's which list for the same as the rb-5's but are floorstanding. imo, the rb's don't sound as full.

Bryan Acevedo

Second Unit
Yes - I would agree with Jason that the RB-5's don't sound as full when run large, but when both are run small, I prefer the sound of the RB-5. But in reality, they should sound very similiar.

Bryan

Scott Basham

Stunt Coordinator
I'm going to have to throw myself into the Klipsch line. I had never heard them before and took a blind (or was that deaf) leap of faith based on the great reviews by real world people found on the audioreview.com board. All I can say is that I didn't know what I was missing. My .... um... uhh... oh all right, Bose 6 series went up for sale about the same day.

The RF-3 II's sound great if the music is recorded well. If the music stinks, the Klipsch won't hide it, but would you really want it to? If you want a speaker that "colors" the music and makes it sound different than the true recording, aren't you really wasting money if you buy components designed to give the most accurate reproduction?

DanaA

Screenwriter
Yes to all that say it is an INDIVIDUAL'S ears that count. We all don't hear things just the same. I've just ordered Klipsch RB-5's for my new bedroom system. I've owned Klipsch floorstanding speakers before and wanted the new Klipsch because I, to sometimes reduce stress, like to hear the loud, open sound that Klipsch's are capable of producing. If I want to hear classical or jazz or something, I might go to another room and listen to my Polks or AR's. If I could only have one of my speakers, I would choose the Klipsch, because, to my ears, they satisfy my needs most.

Evan A

Stunt Coordinator
I hate the sound of kliptch.

I find energy too metalic but I must admit I have not hear the veritas.

I'd default to paradigm

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
For anyone who needs a high quality center channel speaker, the Klipsch SC-1 is on sale for $149 at Vann's, telephone 800 769 5668. This center channel speaker got a rave review in Sound&Vision, Sept 2001. It really shines when it comes to dialogue intelligibility for video use. I have KEF mains and could have chosen the matching KEF center, BUT, I wanted a center that excelled with movie sound tracks. According to the reviewer, the Klipsch was the clear favorite center for video.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks