What's new

Energy ES-12XL Subwoofer? HELP! (1 Viewer)

Again, I am returning for some much needed advice.

I need to buy a subwoofer to complete my system. I have been offered an Energy ES-12XL sub for AU$500. The person has had it for 18 months but lives in an apartment and its a 'bit' loud.

My problem is, I cant listen to it as its in another state. I know this sub is sealed and not vented and from reading 1 particular review, its apparantly 'crap'.

And secondly, I have the option of purchasing a HSU VTF-2 Mk I sub for about AU$750.

So firstly, is the Energy ES-12XL crap? secondly, what kind of difference is there between a sealed sub and one that is vented? and thirdly, should I get the HSU VTF-2 Mk I sub instead?

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Again, I am returning for some much needed advice.

I need to buy a subwoofer to complete my system. I have been offered an Energy ES-12XL sub for AU$500. The person has had it for 18 months but lives in an apartment and its a 'bit' loud.

My problem is, I cant listen to it as its in another state. I know this sub is sealed and not vented and from reading 1 particular review, its apparantly 'crap'.

And secondly, I have the option of purchasing a HSU VTF-2 Mk I sub for about AU$750.

So firstly, is the Energy ES-12XL crap? secondly, what kind of difference is there between a sealed sub and one that is vented? and thirdly, should I get the HSU VTF-2 Mk I sub instead?

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Bill Mullin

Stunt Coordinator
G'day Mate!

I can't comment on the ES-12, but I've owned both the ES-8 and ES-10, and neither were very good. The "8" was particularly boomy, making it worthless for music. I'd suggest you go for the HSU, but this is based on what I've heard about this line as I've never auditioned one myself.

- Bill

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I have the e:XL-S12 (ported, not sealed) and it performs satisfactorily. Of course I bought it before SVS came out, but I only paid $500US for it. If I were in the market now I'd save up the extra couple of hundred and go with an SVS. But for $500AU I would think that sub would be fine. If you can get a HSU for near that price I would probably go that route as that is a well regarded sub.

Ray Tsui

Stunt Coordinator
It's not crap, the 12XL is a big improvement over the previous ES-12,10,8 line. The SVS is hard to beat and represents a notch or two in performance higher.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks