What's new

Enemy of the State (1 Viewer)

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Why isn't this title ANAMORPHIC?

Is there a SE in the works?

I'm so tired of all the great movies I want to get on DVD being non-anamorphic. Armageddon, Deep Impact, EotS, Crimson Tide, and on and on and on. :angry:

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I know what you mean. I have 5 non 16x9 titles in my collection that are incorrectly flagged and do not appear correct on my DVD player unless I press a few buttons on my DVD player and projector remotes. Many of these titles will take a very long time before seeing 16x9 and yes, it is frustrating.

Thomas Agermose

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Thomas Agermose Jensen
BVHE released an anamorphic "SE" in R2 some time ago, so it should show up in R1 eventually. However the "SE" is 4 deleted scened and some featurettes (PR stuff), trailer.
Same with Crimson. "SE" with 7 deleted scenes, trailer and the doc from the LD.

Tom_Bechet

Second Unit
Yep Thomas is right.
I have both crimson tide and enemy of the state UKR2 SE.
I assume you don't ahve a regionfree player or PAL compatible setup (or don't like PAL)as the DVDs are pretty cheap right now. HTH

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Tom, you're right I do not. And I shouldn't have to go through all that to get decent versions of these great films. What is wrong with these studios? Hey, I'm not slamming the UK or any other country, but Region 1 is probably their biggest single market and they give us crappy non-anamorhic or P&S versions. If they put out the product they should be putting out, there would be much less demand for region-free and pressure that makes people circumvent the whole 'region' schema to begin with.

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
Buena Vista's early R1 product left something to be desired picture-wise, and sadly many of their titles have yet to be given anamorphic re-releases. Yet through Buena Vista in the UK, we've had two versions of EotS, Crimson Tide and Con Air, plus three pressings of Armageddon and The Rock. And each and every one of these releases (even the early flippers of Armageddon and The Rock) were anamorphic. Other BV movies like Grosse Point Blank and The Nightmare Before Christmas are also anamorphic, unlike their R1 counterparts. Thankfully my multi-region player has allowed me to cherry-pick the best releases from all over the planet. And for all the talk of PAL speed up (some notice it, some don't) and any possible PAL-->NTSC conversion issues, I'd still seriously suggest going multi-region in order to get the best looking versions of Buena Vista back-catalogue titles. Although Dead Presidents is a non-anamorphic dog of a disc on both sides of the Atlantic - but at least the R1 isn't a flipper like the R2!

Tom_Bechet

Second Unit
And I shouldn't have to go through all that to get decent versions of these great films. What is wrong with these studios
that's exactly what a lot of fans are thinking over here as well!
if we want uncut DVDs with extras and DTS we have to go therought he trouble of buying online getting regionfree players and so on.

The situation has slightly changed lately(different topic)

But you are right the US being the biggest market (and less divided than the EU market) you should also get decent versions. but now you see how frustrating it is for us on the other side of the pond;)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Can you say The Wild Bunch? If there was ever a film that should have been re-released in "anamorphic" by now, it is this one? I cannot figure out why WB has not done so already.

Jake Johnson

Second Unit
I would love to see Enemy in anamorphic. But Armageddon?! Armageddon!? Do you also want a SE of Ecks vs Sever?:D

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
Wild Bunch is anamorphic. On PAL R2. But unlike the other Buena Vista titles I mentioned above, the transfer on this Warner effort sucks. It's full of excessive grain and rounded off with some of the worst haloing I've ever seen on a dvd. I sold it and bought the NTSC laserdisc instead. Absolutely gorgeous transfer.

Tim Ke

Stunt Coordinator
I caved in and bought the region 4 SE. It's got about 50 minutes of extra features, but I wonder if an eventual region 1 SE will get an audio commentary too? Love the movie...

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Sorry, I liked Armageddon. Good popcorn flick! :D

And what is the major malfunction at BV? While many other studios are re-releasing great titles in Anamorphic widescreen, (like Paramount and Hunt for Red October and the rest of the Jack Ryan movies), BV sits on their arse and leaves us with so many crappy non-anamorphic releases. I wish Paramount would make a move and buy out BV so these titles can be done right.

Andy_MT

Second Unit
Paramount ? titles done right ? did i miss an episode ?

i think warner or MGM are better at re-issues. paramount have not been very forth coming with re-releasing their old catalog titles. they've only recently started re-doing their star trek films (how long did this take given the popularity of this franchise ???) and these jack ryan movies were a bit out of the blue. don't think there's been anything else.

paramount have more than enough of their own titles to do right, before doing anyone elses.

but i agree, BV are pretty awful. their old titles are dire (on par with paramounts old titles) and they still retail most of them too high. hopefully their films will get better treatment on HD-DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks