Endless Wire - THE WHO (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
well their first studio in 24 years.

i've heard a couple songs and they're not bad.

look forward to the entire album.

i'm hoping someone will know what the bonus exclusive dvd will be that is offered at CC and best buy.

same dvd or different?

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
24 years my how times fly
I wish they would have called it Townsend & Daltry,
Glad they went on but it's not "The Who". John & Keith were too much of the band.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
The Best Buy ad says this:

I agree, but if anyone's going to fill in, Pino Palladino and Zak Starkey were as good choices as any.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
anyone yet?

still waiting for my best buy to get their copies in.
had to get a rain check 'cause they wont get them 'till next week.

Vic_T

Stunt Coordinator
I didn't even know about the sale at Target when I got mine. I was surprised when it rang up as only $10. I call that a bargain!

The new album didn't knock me out, but there are quite a few good tracks on it. "Mike Post Theme" is pretty good and appears to be the stand out track.

Vic_T

Stunt Coordinator

Nope. 5 tracks

1. Can't Explain
2. Behind Blue Eyes
3. Mike Post Theme
4. Baba O Reily
5. Won't Get Fooled Again

Recorded in Lyon France, 2006

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Copied from my post on another forum....

I just sat down to watch the live DVD today. I had not seen video of the Pino powered Who until now. Poor Roger, he probably had a cold or something on the night of that show, because I can't believe his voice is that gone. After watching that "Who" I was so dissapointed I pulled out my "30 Years of Maximum R&B Live" LaserDisc set.

Wow.

Keith Moon was a genius.

The guy had fair technical ability and not great timing, particularly on his fills. But the pure musicality of his playing is just amazing. Amazing. And perfect for the ensemble, every time. The musicality and 'feel' of his playing, in service of the song, not the fair to poor technical aspects, reminds me more of jazz drums than typical rock playing.

And Kenny Jones, though he's generally not held in very high regard, was a great replacement. His playing on the 1979 footage, both in the rehearsal studio and live, is excellent. Though technically not as proficient, his playing has much better feel than Simon Phillips, who though a great drummer, was a poor choice for The Who.

The one thing the New Who has going for it is Zack. He seems to fit in really well.

It almost makes me wish they would have stayed together in the 80s instead of splitting up in '82. Almost. Then I listen to Pete's solo work from that period. Would I rather have a follow-up to "It's Hard" or "All the best cowboys have chinese eyes" and "White City: A Novel". The latter.

All Who fans, buy the "30 years" DVD. It's a great document of some fantastic stuff.

I don't know how I like the record. I also got a couple old Roger Waters albums I had never had before in my shipment and they seem to be sticking to my CD players like glue.

Mark_TB

Second Unit

Sirius satellite radio currrently has a dedicated WHO channel, featuring a live concert recording every night. Many have been from the current tour and, sad to say, Roger's voice is sounding very ragged. (On "Baba O'Riley," his voice ranges from a gruff growl to a shout -- with little in between.) I'm finding this a bit disappointing, since I have tickets for their show in Omaha on December 7th.

Pete sounds good, though, and the musicianship is top-notch, so I'm still expecting a good show.

I think the new album is solid, and it seems to get better with each listening.

Mark

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
thanks a lot, i wanted to CANCEL my free 3 month subscription from volkswagen, now you gave me a reason to keep it, and i didnt want to! :)

CJ

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
OK, that is really strange. I went to Amazon to look it up, and it didn't show up in the search! Thanks for the link!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks