What's new

Encroaching Neighbor (1 Viewer)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
Odd, I've never lived anywhere that those were left around. The new place I'm closing on in 2 weeks has nothing, nothing at all. Might make fence building time a little fun.

ClintS

Stunt Coordinator
Around here they use metal pins(spikes) with a yellow plastic head (serialized numbers on them). The surveyors drive the pins in at property corners and leave them, 1 out of 4 of mine are visible the other two have sunken out of sight below the grass/dirt. The fourth corner is marked by a scratch in the concrete sidewalk, and I assume that there is still a metal pin under the sidewalk.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
My property is also marked by metal pins in the back two corners of the lot. They can be tough to find in the grass though even when you do know about where they are.

In the front, the property line is marked at the street by a small hash on the sidewalk.

Anyway, definately when you talk to them approach the situation as if it were an innocent mistake. You can always escalate the situation later if need be, but it is MUCH MORE DIFFICULT to de-escalate tempers.

Tim L

Second Unit
Hey charles JP I gave the abbreviated version, trust me I am a nice guy and a great nieghbor- I don't bother anyone I keep my place up nice- I don't make noise or go on your property, but when push comes to shove you have to stand up for yourself- he said alot worse that to me-I was being nice- so don't go judging me so fast-I was just telling it like it is- I was just giving my version- good or bad- its the truth, sometimes things in life get ugly- and yes I have bad luck with nieghbors- infact its a running joke with my friends and family.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
I can only go off what you said. He picked the wrong guy and told him to fuck off sounds like macho hot-head kind of crap. If that's not you, that's fine, but that's what you posted. I'm not a mind reader.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member

No anti-social is when I don't deal with any people, I never said that. Just don't want the neighbor's over and or in my business. I have tons of Friends/acquaintances outside of my neighborhood. ;)

Any way here's what went down;

Knocked on the door, started with the water thing and she tells me that she's in a fight with the neighbor on the other side over her over the pipe (it's not hers) to the point that cops had to be called. (the other neighbor called them). This woman is crackers. We live in a small rural town.

Anyway she shows me the pipe, she's been to the town and they're looking into it. Shows me some trees she planted on her other neighbor's side. Tells me they're on that neighbors property and shows me a stake she put in her lawn a full 10' from the trees. She knows she's on their land. Ah, my perfect in! So I say in addition to the water, I'm also here because you are on my land and are clearing my property. She say she knows! I tell her the pin was right here and show her the plot plans. She says oh, I have those as well. She was clearing my land with full knowledge that it is mine. I told her that I don't want her to cut any of my trees and if she has any issues with one of my trees to come and talk to me and I will decide if I want to move them. All of this was very civil but I was steaming. She said she won't anymore. Looks like I'm going to have to take a weekly trip up there to check on it.

So now that I have spoken to her, I need some kind of record of it. Maybe I should go to the town and tell them I spoke with her about it because I don't want her claiming that it is her land in future years. Or have it resurveyed. And the pipe, they think the neighbor is pumping grey water down the driveway - laundry and shower/sink water.

Oh, regarding the easement issue, the way the town explained it to my wife is that the driveway is owned by whoever the property it is on, we just have to grant access to the properties behind ours. It is not town property and everyone maintains their section. The above does not concern easement however.

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter

Truly amazing.... I'm having a tough time visualizing the extent of the "work" she's done. Can you post pix ?

Good luck, this seems to be getting wackier by the day !

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Good point on the easment that I'm surprised no one else mentioned. All easements are on SOMeONE's property. We have 4 easements. The boulivard (area between sidewalk and street), a 5 foot easement on the other three sides of the house. On the one side where we have a neighbor their easement butts up against ours. On the other two sides, the easement butts up against land owned by the developer. We can do anything we want with OUR easements (as long as it is otherwise legal). The point of an easement is IF the city or anyone authorized needs access to it, they can tear up whatever we put there without our permission. However, that does NOT mean the neighbors can, it is OUR property. Usually the gas/power and other utilities run in the easements and so they may need to excavate to work on them. If we've planted trees there, we will neither be asked nore compensated. But I repeat, this is for city or other public services. This does NOT apply to how your neighbors can use the land.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
So she is planting trees on one side and cutting them down on the other. :laugh:

Even though this is all happening on other people's property, you have to admire the symmetry. Perhaps she is trying to restore some imbalance that she perceives in the (local) universe.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Wow, she sounds like a treat. Good luck dealing with her over the years, I'm thinking this is just round one for you.

I would agree with the above sentiment, build a low fence around your property next to her. Nothing you couldn't just step over or climb theough easily, but a physical reminder of where her land ends and yours begins might do the trick. I don't think this lady is dealing with a full deck, I doubt she will respect your property limits in the future.

Good job keeping your cool when talking to her, must not have been easy.

Colton

Supporting Actor
When she was tearing your trees down did she happen to say, "the trees are strong. the roots go deep!". Maybe you should tell her about Treebeard.

- Colton

DaveHo

Supporting Actor
You were too nice to her. I predict she will continue to disregard the property line. Since you say you don't care about having contact with your neighbors, I would have blasted her for deliberately defacing your property. Hopefully you made it clear that ANY activity by her on your property is not welcome, and there will be consequences if she does not abide by that. Simply telling her not to cut down trees leaves the door wide open for all kinds of other stuff, which if she is as looney as it sounds, will seem "normal" to her.

-Dave

Greg_P

Stunt Coordinator
Time to take a trip down to your local town offices and let them know what's going on. Since this lady is "out there" even money says she will infringe on your property yet again.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I would get pictures of the area she is cutting showing the mess being made. I would still talk to the town authorities about the removal of the pins (which she admits). I would also present her with a bill for the replacement of the trees, plus notice that any further "work" will have you filing trespassing and vandelism charges against her. Being ignorant is one thing, knowingly destroying your neighbor's property is another.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Definitely get your property surveyed and have pictures taken.

I would certainly make this woman replace your trees. I'd blow my lid if a neighbor did that on my property. I hope the trees weren't too old/large. That'd be a real shame, but she should definitely have them replaced or at least inform her that you intend to and that she will have to cover the costs.

Do not contact the police about this, it's extremem and unnecessary. There's no reason for them to get involved and all that proves is that you're unable to handle the situation maturely on your own. I'd speak to the other neighbors whose land she's infringing on as well to find out what other trouble you can expect from her in future since they don't seem to be on good terms. I can't imagine why.

Also, rather than a fence, you might consider landscaping and putting in stones to border the property line. My family's home is seperated by a stone wall with shrubs and flowers anbd it looks great and natural... much better than an obtrusive fence in my opinion!

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
The trees that were there were nothing special just fir trees. I have a huge stand of them and they are great at screening out the view to the neighbors.

I do have a fence, 8' high metal animal fencing. The kind they use in new Zealand on the ranches. The problem is, I didn't bring it all the way to the front of the property. I angled off and went through the stand of fir trees. Mainly for looks. This way you can't see the fence from the drive. So what she cleared is in the angled section.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks