What's new

Encore Western Channel insights? (1 Viewer)

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
I've only really gotten into watching the old shows on the Encore Western Channel in the past few months. Currently, Cheyenne and Maverick. Prior to these I recall seeing the Rifleman and Bat Masterson on the channel guide.

I'm curious. does anyone have any insights as to how long they run a particular series before switching to another (e.g., based on a set time or number of times through the series)? Does anyone have any insights as to what shows might be comming on after Cheyenne and Maverick have run their course? Anyone have a list of shows they've run in the past that they be likely to run again since they've licensed them before?

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
Here's a list of western shows they have aired in the past that I remember. There may be more ...

RANGE RIDER with Jock Mahoney
BUFFALO BILL JR. with Dick Jones
ANNIE OAKLEY with Gail Davis
THE REBEL with Nick Adams
ADVENTURES OF KIT CARSON with Bill Williams
WANTED: DEAD OR ALIVE with Steve McQueen
GUNSMOKE (the hour-long black and white episodes)
THE BIG VALLEY with Barbara Stanwyck

Encore Western used to show a lot more of the Republic "B" westerns years ago.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I read somewhere that they had acquired the rights to show Lawman, Sugarfoot, and I think Wagon Train, but no information on when or if they will broadcast those shows.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
I sure wouldn't mind seeing more episodes of Big Valley and Wagon Train since only limited seasons were released on DVD.

Many of the others you two have listed I have never heard of before. But considering that half the western TV shows I have on DVD were new to me when purchasing and I've ended up enjoying them makes that not a bad thing.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
They also ran Sam Peckinpah's excellent short-run (13 episodes) series, THE WESTERNER (1960, starring Brian Keith), a few years ago. I don't know if they'll run it again, but I'm inclined to doubt it.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Lawman looks interesting. How did you come up with that date? Is it published somewhere or just inside information?

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Has anybody heard if the High Chapparal is in the consideration for Encore Western? Or if it's playing on anyother channel?

James

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I know the High Chaparral played on Hallmark Channel a few years ago, don't know if Encore has any plans for it, or if Hallmark has any plans to have an repeat showing, but I'd be all over it, if they did.

Mary_P

Second Unit
If anyone's keeping score, they ran "Alias Smith and Jones" a few years ago, all episodes but the pilot and 90-minute second-season opener, which I think makes it a total of 48 episodes that they rotated. I think they ran it for about two years.

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
Originally Posted by smithb

Lawman looks interesting. How did you come up with that date? Is it published somewhere or just inside information?
I e-mailed the programming department.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks