What's new

Enchanted April (1 Viewer)

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug
Last week, I saw this delightful little movie directed by Mike Newell, but alas, it was on VHS. I've looked for DVD availability, but there is currently not a Region 1 DVD. This was a Miramax film distributed by Paramount back in the early '90s. The videocassette was from Paramount, but I don't know if they still own the home video rights or if they reverted to Miramax at some point. Has anyone heard of any plans for an imminent DVD release? It's a shame that it's not available.

PattyFraser

Second Unit
Doug, I share your feelings about this movie. I have checked Amazon.com and they have a page for it but list it as currently unavailable. If you and all who would be willing were to input your e-mail addy there where it allows you the opportunity to be alerted when this is released that would also serve (so Amazon says) to alert the studio involved that this is a DVD for which many people are waiting.

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug
Patty,

Done! If the studios do, in fact, pay attention to the demand statistics at amazon.com I sincerely hope many fans of this film take advantage of this feature.

Regards,

D

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
A thread like this comes up every couple of months.

The laserdisc is 4x3 1.33:1, and I have a "region free" DVD I found (don't think it's a bootleg) that's basically a DVD-copy of the laserdisc with audio in only one channel.

We ALL would love a nice remastered 16x9 version of this wonderful film. PLEASE... Who owns the rights these days?

Jerry R Colvin

Stunt Coordinator
Hear hear... I am one of the guys who always concurs every time this subject comes up... With all the big name British stars and directed by the same dude who did the latest Harry Potter movie, there is no good reason why this wonderful film hasn't made it to DVD yet...

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
2 Entertain is a BBC-affiliated imprint, so it is possible that Miramax's rights have expired and reverted back to the BBC. In which case, maybe there will be a stateside release through their Warner arrangement.

RoyGBiv

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven Kempner
I am another person who'd like to see a good anamorphic DVD of this very good and beautiful movie. I have posted as much here in other threads. I made a DVD of the VHS recording I had from when this was on HBO years ago.

I actually saw this about 2 years ago on TV when I was visiting my father in Florida, and it was available On Demand on Comcast. I think that version looked even worse than my copy!

Needless to say, it could look a lot better.

SMK

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot
A vote from me too - one of the few post-65 films that I actually really love

Jerry R Colvin

Stunt Coordinator
Woke up this morning to an e-mail with this subject line:

"Enchanted April (1992) is now available to order from Amazon"

Looks like the magic day is May 5, 2009!

PattyFraser

Second Unit
I got this e-mail too, Jerry! At last....

Would it be churlish of me to say that I wish it was going to have a Blu ray release then too? (some people are never satisfied!) Seriously--I will be pre-ordering today.

RoyGBiv

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven Kempner

Well, this was very welcomed. I love this movie, but it's probably my wife's favorite movie, and May 5 is her birthday! I guess I know what she'll be getting!

SMK

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Amazon's distributor credit says it's coming from Miramax - maybe this augurs well for the other titles from the old Paramount deal.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Same here!

Ordered already! $21 is not really inexpensive, of course, so the release better be good.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Cees

Jerry R Colvin

Stunt Coordinator
Uh oh, here are the specs from Miramax's Enchanted April page:

Bonus Features:
Feature Commentary By Director Mike Newell And Producer Ann Scott
Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1
Color: Color
Regional Encoding: NTSC
Sound: Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound

Hmmm.....

RoyGBiv

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven Kempner
Amazon's website and DVDEmpire both list it as being "Widescreen." I will be extremely disappointed if this is a crappy, 4:3 transfer.

SMK

Richard M S

Screenwriter
That's great news; I love this film and I am really happy it is finally being released.....

...but when a movie is entitled ENCHANTED APRIL wouldn't you have thought they could have moved the release date up a few weeks to actually release it in April?
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

RoyGBiv

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven Kempner
I purchased this last week and have watched parts of it. It is extremely grainy, which I presume to be the original photography, but it looks better than any previous version I've seen. I think I'll watch the whole movie in the next few weeks.

SMK

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks