What's new

Employee may never make large purchase from Best Buy again (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Andrew,
This is truly an amazing tale. Your experience has convinced me to never purchase an item from Best Buy that I cannot walk out of the store with. I am really glad that I decided to avoid Best Buy when I purchased our Toshiba 56H80 in December (Walter's Appliance handled things very well and I also bought the set for about $750 less than at Best Buy).
On the bright side, at least you finally received the TV. Enjoy your new HT addition. You certainly earned it!
------------------
My DVD Collection
AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 7

Tony Davi

Auditioning
Time and Sanity are a more valuable commodity than a couple hundred bucks. I got screwed for $400 from one of these 6 month same as cash deals from Cambridge Sound Works. Those a##holes. But when I let it go and just paid those jerks I felt a calm that I hadn't felt since my ordeal started. I guess I'm non-confrontational. I bought a 65" online; got a great price and Mayflower moving company delivered it with no problem. I was glad to give those guys a nice tip. Why don'tcha play tag with them and tell them you're not happy and have them come get it back. Then do a price scan of online prices and get a TV that won't remind you of Worst Buy every time you look at it.
Turn on the SCUM...Best Buy!
biggrin.gif

Joseph Kim

Agent
Andrew,
sorry to hear about all the shit you went through, but your story was entertaining :).
joe
[Edited last by Joseph Kim on August 12, 2001 at 06:12 PM]

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
My understanding of the company is that for every person who really cares, about twelve jackoffs who don't wind up in managerial positions.
I work there right now, and I couldn't agree more. My current managers are some of the best I've had since I've worked there. Our old sales manager was a joke, and our ops manager was the queen bitch of the company. The reason I still work there? The employee discounts of course. When you're 17 years old, a cost+5% discount plus $9/hour is a pretty big incentive to put up with the amount of shit that goes on there :)
I have yet to buy anything as big as an HD set, but now I'm a little wary to do so. At the very least, I will make sure to remain an employee there until I receive my TV. I'm absolutely appalled at how much a fucking asshole that inventory manager Mike was!
In defense of the regular (non-managerial) employees, we deal with more than our share of asshole customers who just try to fuck us over and treat us like shit. You know this Andrew, you used to work there. After awhile it becomes very hard to discern which customers have truly been mistreated, and which ones are just being assholes. 90% of us are part-time, underpaid employees who get treated like crap from customers and managers alike. It's real hard to work up genuine enthusiasm for your job in such an environment.
I'm planning on leaving as soon as I get my new car audio equipment. I've had quite enough. Time to get that job as a PC tech. You have no idea how unstressful troubleshooting computer problems is after you've worked at a place like Best Buy
biggrin.gif

Seriously Andrew, what you had to go through is completely unacceptable. At least you got your TV, which really isn't saying much after the whole ordeal. It would be great if Dick Schulz (BB CEO) took heed of this, and started making chnages. I've actually been told that Best Buy plans on upping the labor budgets of each store in order to hire more people and pay their employees more. Which, they hope, will fix this customer service problem inherent in such a huge company. Only time will tell...
------------------
Digital Hoard

Andrew Grall

Supporting Actor
This needs to be resurrected to warn others about making large purchases (or any purchases) from Best Buy.
As an update, I never received ANY response from the district manager or the CEO. I guess I really didn't expect anything though...
------------------
View Dr. Grall's DVD collection

Andrew Grall

Supporting Actor
You know... By the time my life settled down with my new job and everything, I felt it was too late to send those letters. I had waited for quite some time hoping for some kind of response from the district manager or Best Buy corporate. No luck there...

In retrospect, I really wish I had. But I doubt it would have changed anything...

Nick Poole

Auditioning
Real Name
Nick Poole
Hey I know this was 10 years ago, but I was just wondering how in the world You posted this story 2.5 hrs before it was over? POst date 7/5/2001 @ 11:53 AM called BB in the story on 7/5/2001 @ 2:05 PM ?? lol details

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure Andrew is still around since he hasn't posted under that ID in almost 3 years. The OP date for me reads 2:53pm so I'm assuming the forum adjusts their time based on
your Time zone registered in your profile. I'm guessing that makes you are Pacific Daylight Time.
I do sort of remember bits of this thread from long ago and b/c of it I shifted several purchases to
other stores even paying a slight premium -- AV Systems and Sound System locally before Tweeter bought them and eventually folded plus my closest Circuit City was run by very good people until
very late in their lifespan. Unfortunately all those other stores are now gone and Best Buy stands alone. The fact that I was around not only then but actually a few years before makes me a little
sad -- I think my original profile name was lost in an email switch since I'm pretty sure I was on this forum during its first year.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Reading this ancient thread makes me shake my head, because I bought a 65" plasma from BB in January. It was delivered to my home with no fuss, no muss.

bbyperson

Auditioning
Real Name
Sarah
I know i am way late BUT i dont believe you should say best buy is the awful business because you had a bad experience there once!! I work there and will say there are a few employees that might not have it all together but there are also others that are AWESOME! At our store from what i see most customers leave angry because they didnt get to return something that they broke or is three, four months out of return policy and in that case its the customers fault NOT best buy. I see lots and lots of happy customers everyday saying they are glad they came to best buy. I also know a few by name because how loyal they are. And where else would you go for your tvs, computers, and washers?? walmart?? walmart has by far the worst customer service i have ever seen and with stuff even if you know they have a service plan on it and you want it, you have to keep up with that receipt saying you bought or you just wasted your money. So people think about what your saying before you try bashing best buy. Is the problem YOU or is it best buy.

MexicanJohn

Auditioning
Real Name
John
I use to work for that company as a geek squad agent and they are so unorganized. they had computers there that were well past their estimated repair date.
the laptops that needed to go out were still in the cage.
the returned laptops were still in the box.
no customer contact was ever done.
the techs in the front pretty much lied to the customer when they asked for a status update.
and the preferred repair was just a wipe and reformat.
all in all that company is crap.
they need to revamp and crack down on how they do their processes.
Soo freaking unorganized!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks