What's new

Empire 1 Cinema Leicester Square London (1 Viewer)

Paul_Warren

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
Its alright having a massive digital picture but their is only so far you can go in 2K or 4k, I would be intrested seeing how the
PQ will look from a Laser Projector, i think they have installed one in Seattle Cinerama.

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
re last post..They are installing a Laser projector next year in Seattle Cinerama.

AdrianTurner

BANNED
Real Name
Adrian Turner
Personally, I thought the early IMAX films were quite impressive - I saw them in locations as diverse as Washington DC and Jakarta. But last year I went to see the Bond movie Skyfall in a so-called IMAX cinema near where I live in the UK and I thought it was terrible. It's not IMAX which was designed for specific types of auditorium, not just a regular cinema. And of course the aspect ratio seemed weird - Skyfall looks much better in 2.35:1 on Blu-ray at home.

The Empire as it exists now is surely the wrong architectural shape for an IMAX cinema.

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
Also talking to a few people yesterday when they screen 3D they will lose 175 seats due to the angle plus alsodue to the BFI IMAX now run by Odeon being in Waterloo in might lose some high profile screenings.You never know one day we might see an Imax screen in the Odeon Leicester Square but I don't think the Queenwould be to keen on that.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
At least the good outcome from this is that we will have a state of the art IMAX in London's West End. The Waterloo IMAX is too far from the centre and in a not terribly attractive area. I've never really understood why IMAX has had the staying power which Cinerama did not have. I found the enveloping presentation of Cinerama far more spectacular than IMAX, even in its single lens incarnation.

Real Name
Anthony
Whilst the conversion to IMAX is certainly better news than being sub-divided into several smaller screens, it does mean that there will now be no cinema in London with Dolby Atmos.

Also, it does rather co-incide with a feeling of disillusionment about IMAX conversions. I've always chosen this format when available but the majority of conversions look awful to my eye - horribly over-sharpened, noisy, with out of whack contrast. Sometimes it reminds me of video projection. The last one I saw - THE LONE RANGER - was particularly bad and the combination of conversion and 3-D made MAN OF STEEL look like digital soup.

Does anyone know if the studios are looking to improve the quality of these conversions? Because, if not, I think I'd rather just see a straight digital projection.

AdrianTurner

BANNED
Real Name
Adrian Turner
Douglas R said:
At least the good outcome from this is that we will have a state of the art IMAX in London's West End. The Waterloo IMAX is too far from the centre and in a not terribly attractive area. I've never really understood why IMAX has had the staying power which Cinerama did not have. I found the enveloping presentation of Cinerama far more spectacular than IMAX, even in its single lens incarnation.
I agree - the demise of Cinerama was regrettable, though it faded along with 70mm in general and I think all large format photography was simply a victim of fashion. The story has often been told - how Easy Rider/Graduate/Bonnie and Clyde revolutionised the way Hollywood made movies and how movies like Ryan's Daughter/Song of Norway/Hello Dolly etc just looked like dinosaurs. And as the pictures got smaller, the cinemas themselves shrunk.

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
One thing is that the BFI Imax can still screen 15/70 plus normal 70mm mag and dts.Vue cinemas have installed Dolby Atmos in Glasgow Fort and Cramlington for screeningInsidious 2 opening next Friday.Also I see they are knocking down the Odeon Marble Arch and surrounding buildings tobuild The Marble Arch Tower they say a new cinema will be included but we all know itwont be like the D-150 cinema built in 1967.At least we have next years WSW in the Pictureville Bradford from 10th-13th April.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Looks like a LIEMAX cinema to me.

I wouldn't waste my money at this cinema ever again, not to look in horror at half pint sized EMPIRE 1/2 I would walk out and demand my money back. But I don't need to bother going. I don't care how glamours both screens look and sound with LieMAX sound system or THX if it remains THX no doubt Empire cinema will dump it in time.

EMPIRE 1 R.I.P. :(

10155325_10152322702330149_1009075778_n.jpg

Brian McP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
I vowed that if I ever went to London, I'd go straight from the airport to the Empire, Leicester Square -- I'd heard so much about this theatre and considering how many James Bond movie premieres had been there (as well as Royal Charity events), I had to go there -- still may, and I want to see where the Pavillion Theatre was as well -- with the movie 'front of house' was a huge scaffold with pictures and artwork -- as a kid I'd see that in books and movies ("A Hard Days Night" premiere notably) and was amazed by it.

I suspect the Empire management had seen the success they'd had converting the Chinese Theatre in Hollywood into an IMAX theatre and would do likewise -- I have to admit, I've never seen a standard movie play on an IMAX screen, but I assume the next James Bond picture will be in IMAX so the Bond premieres may continue at the Empire.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I wonder if they will also do what the Chinese theater did and install an additional 4K projector and atmos sound for premieres.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Wayne_j said:
I wonder if they will also do what the Chinese theater did and install an additional 4K projector and atmos sound for premieres.
Yes they will. While this will not make a few lovers of cinema happy, it will keep the theater as an on going business. That's better than it becoming a high rise c

AdrianTurner

BANNED
Real Name
Adrian Turner
Brian McP said:
I vowed that if I ever went to London, I'd go straight from the airport to the Empire, Leicester Square -- I'd heard so much about this theatre and considering how many James Bond movie premieres had been there (as well as Royal Charity events), I had to go there -- still may, and I want to see where the Pavillion Theatre was as well -- with the movie 'front of house' was a huge scaffold with pictures and artwork -- as a kid I'd see that in books and movies ("A Hard Days Night" premiere notably) and was amazed by it.

I suspect the Empire management had seen the success they'd had converting the Chinese Theatre in Hollywood into an IMAX theatre and would do likewise -- I have to admit, I've never seen a standard movie play on an IMAX screen, but I assume the next James Bond picture will be in IMAX so the Bond premieres may continue at the Empire.
Brian - The Bond films premiered at the ODEON Leicester Square, not the Empire, though to be accurate, some of them opened at the London Pavilion where A Hard Day's Night opened. But it's the Odeon that hosted all those glam charity premieres including the annual Royal Film Performance.

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
I have heard that they have had trouble with the new conversation due to the dividing wall/ roof etc.. and the newscreens may not open to late summer.I reckon showing 4 of the sensuround movies in the late 1970s done more damage than they thought.

Brian McP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Hello and many thanks Adrian -- I stand corrected.

All I know is that one of these days I'm going to make a beeline for Leicester Square to one of those theatres (most likely all of those theatres) -- and Piccadilly Square (wonder if that Wrigleys Gum billboard is still there?)

The entrance to the Odeon is fantastic too -- pretty sure on the dvd of "The Wild Geese" is newsreel footage of the 1978 premiere of the movie at the theatre -- nowhere on Earth can studios recreate the one sheet poster of a movie more beautifully than across the front of the Odeon's facade.

The use of scaffolding and skill of those front of house presentations were eye-popping. I suspect it would be too expensive to do that kind of thing now, but even seeing pictures of some of the outdoor setups they had for movies opening at that theatre (and the Pavillion), one can only look in awe and admiration for those showmen and distributors back then. Times Square and Hollywood Blvd had their great moments in 'front of house' promotion -- but nothing like those theatres in London.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
andySu said:
Looks like a LIEMAX cinema to me.

I wouldn't waste my money at this cinema ever again, not to look in horror at half pint sized EMPIRE 1/2 I would walk out and demand my money back. But I don't need to bother going. I don't care how glamours both screens look and sound with LieMAX sound system or THX if it remains THX no doubt Empire cinema will dump it in time.

EMPIRE 1 R.I.P. :(

10155325_10152322702330149_1009075778_n.jpg
About what exactly are you complaining. The pediment has been gone for some time.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Empire Leicester Square, has opened its doors to a shameless IMPACT screen today.

"The horror. The horror."

"See the biggest movies on our biggest screens! IMPACT is the ultimate way to experience blockbuster movies, SPECTACULAR screen, SENSATIONAL DOLBY ATMOS sound (where available), SUPERB stadium seating, extra leg room and even Bean Bags!"

:blink: BEAN BAGS! Well that is cheap. Empire have just gone shot themselves in the foot. I can just see it now. 22 customers complain of back issues due to bean bags.

99 luxury balcony seats? over (18) only? what is this? Have Empire Leicester Square, finally gone around the bend? :rolleyes:

1617960_638093106280140_5906023321232614414_o.jpg

Empire has a real sticker of film to open the day with, Pompeii :thumbsdown:

10373089_638093152946802_3949153473622997450_o.jpg

:thumbsdown:

10268545_638107722945345_5058505155563970595_n.jpg

CHEAP AND NASTY. £17.00 is bloody cheek.

10268535_638107416278709_6971065697351591044_n.jpg

£18.00 :blink: So now they are singling out customers with some kinky sex seat at the back or what? Empire you have killed yourselves and your customers.
I knew they'd bump up the adult prices and children.

Its funny they had THX 56 kilowatt IMPACT screen up till last year and only gone and guttered into this abomination.

10277605_638107259612058_2578861539400339283_n.jpg

Empire you can keep your laughing stock of a cinema, because I'm rolling on the floor in pain and laughter. :rolling-smiley:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks