What's new

Emergency Season 4: Universal, Where Is It? (1 Viewer)

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick

I dont own it yet, but its on single sided discs. Universal finally woke up to the DVD-18s, and to my knowledge they dont use them at all now. Season 3 is when Emergency started on single sided DVDs. If you look at the box of season 2 it says single sided, but according to a friend that bought it, its flippers. So, i didnt buy it.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
Yup i just received my set yesterday and they remain single-sided. I will say though the artwork on the discs is getting much worse and cheaper looking on top of the transfers getting abit worse. But that's ok aslong as they continue to release the show till the end!

Real Name
warren

It was some one from tv shows on dvd that persuaded Universal to drop the dual layers This person had trace the source of the problem and told Universal.

Lets hope Universal do a new release of shows which were on dual layer.

The funny thing is i have Wonder Woman on dual layer and i never had any problems. But i guess it is the quality of the disc WB was prepared to go for quality and not do it on the cheap.

Firebee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
I've yet to watch even one episode from S3 let alone S4, so that really stinks to read about poor transfers and the syndicated opening credits/music. Ugh. But I love the show too much to abandon it now.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I've just started watching the Season 4 set and I have to say that while I've only watched the first two episodes, Episode 1 seems to be suffering from a poor quality transfer. Not only did there seem to be what I could call visible 'breaks' in the video where a one inch black void/gap seemed to break up the video but it seemed like a poor transfer of the first episode.

The second episode seemed to have a muffled audio transfer. I had to turn the volume up on my television set up a notch of 40 in order to hear the audio track decently. Most of the shows I have I can set to 15-20 on the volume control and hear it clearly. I'd like to know why Universal has a problem with adjusting the audio on their television show transfers. I seem to have this problem with all of the Universal television shows, with the exception of shows like A-Team and Magnum.

BobSchneider

Second Unit
Wow that blow what a bummer, if there doing a crap job on a good seller maybe it a good thing s2 of adam 12 and kojak werent released by this fools:frowning: :thumbsdown:

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
Yeah i am not sure about continuing to buy these going forward. Although i say that now come release time for S5 it will be hard to resist. I love the show, but 4 seasons might be more than enough for me considering the quality of late.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Well, I'm not saying that all of the seasons are bad. Seasons 1-3 had pretty decent audio/video transfers but Season 4 seemed to strike a blow against quality ... I'm just upset by the poor quality of this set and I'm wondering if anyone else has had similar problems with this set.

Firebee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan

That stinks on the low volume, but then again being hearing-impaired, I always have my TV on a notch of 40 during the day and lower it to 30 at night. I've yet to watch S3 or S4 of ``Emergency!'' so I can't vouch for the volume problems, but you're right on ``The A-Team'' or ``Magnum,'' there's no problem with volume with those shows on DVD. I need to find a wireless headphone set that works. Haven't had any luck lately with either Sony or Acoustic Research models at Best Buy. Maybe I need to go to Circuit City, instead.

Firebee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan

Thanks for the suggestion...but that's a bit rich for what I need. I simply ordered a wireless headset from Sony.com yesterday, should get here 3-4 days.

Real Name
warren

I realize they are expensive and i don't have one but i would like to have one. I have try it and it is very good except for the price tag. I have hearing aids and the Mylink works very well with them. But you can also use them with out the hearing aids.

I hope the Sony headset works out well for you.

Firebee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan

Thanks, yep, the Sony headset arrived last week...and works great, except for some annoying pops and hisses from time to time.

Back to Emergency, I've started watching S3 full-time now, and I noticed a weird quirk in terms of the opening credit sequence...for a few episodes after the first two on Disc 1, it reverted a much different sequence than the one with the speeding squad truck and the Emergency! logo...the new sequence had cuts of the paramedics, Brackett, Dix, and Joe Early interspersed with actual cut shots of them in the field, the trucks and so on...and then with ``Snakebite,'' where Johnny, Chet and Roy are treating automobile accident victims out in the middle of nowhere, it goes back to the more traditional opening sequence...does anyone have an explanation for the different opening credits?

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
The different credits are from the syndicated version of those episodes. But it appears the episodes are at least uncut.

Firebee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan

Oh, okay, thanks...yeah, it appears that the episodes are uncut, at least, since they're about the same 49-minute length...according to my PS3.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
Finished season 3 and just started watching season 4. While there is a noticeable drop in print quality and volume control, at least they are uncut and just as exciting as ever. It's fun to observe how the show has improved over the seasons, with more creative and dramatic (and bigger-budget) emergencies, along with continued character development.

Given how well this seemed to sell on Amazon, I hope we don't have to wait a year for season 5. It seems like Universal does intend to finish out the series. Can't wait for more!

Firebee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan

Agreed, but hey Uni sped up the sales of ``The Incredible Hulk'' from one per year to two at once this June to maximize the marketing tie-in (I honestly HATE those, but they do get me more seasons of some of my favorite TV shows) with the new movie coming out. Now we gotta get someone to do a film knock-off of ``Emergency!'' I've been racing through S3 after not watching it all since it came from Amazon, so I expect that I'll be on S4 in short order here. Only have three eps left on S3, I believe.
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

Firebee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
Well, I finished ``Emergency!'' S3 a while back and have now made my way through the first third of S4, and yes, I agree that the prints used for this season weren't as well restored as previous seasons, but I don't find the picture completely abysmal. Just not as good as previous ``Emergency!'' seasons. Still marveling at how well this show has held up. :)

Firebee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
Finally finished ``Emergency!'' S4 last night...was really weird seeing the original opening for the show ``905-Wild'' and the focus on animal control which featured an amazingly young Mark Harmon as one of the officers... :) Was a good season, but I agree with previous posters, that the image quality significantly deteriorated in S4 compared with previous seasons....don't know what was up with that unless Uni didn't allocate as much money to that DVD's budget or whatever...

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
The audio quality is terrible on some season 4 DVD episodes. Gossip, Quicker Than The Eye, and Camera Bug have especially bad audio. Looking on the Hulu website, there are seven season 4 Emergency! episodes with the better quality and original opening credits. Why were these versions not used for the DVD's? I would like to see Universal go back and reissue the season 4 DVD, and at least correct those horrible audio problems. Those three episodes I mentioned, the sound is so bad the episodes are almost unwatchable. But I doubt they will reissue it, Universal would not finance a reissue of Emergency! season 4.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks