What's new

Emergency Season 4: Universal, Where Is It? (1 Viewer)

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter

Yes it does hold up very well considering all the dated technology they are using, throughout the EMS and ER parts respectively. A Great Show like this stands the test of time and those little things work as an assett in many ways. Instead of where as on the surface you might think they would be a detriment. I am looking forward to picking up S4 next week.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I'm a retro/nostalgia buff so the answer to that is a big yepper. I haven't purchased S2 yet so I've been milking S1. I felt the pilot movie was more dated than the following episodes from S1. The show works on several levels, from medical drama, rescue drama, sit-com, instructional show, etc. It's never boring and the ending credits always appear too soon.

Btw, this was in my Top as a little child of the 70s. I loved it along with Ultraman, Speed racer cartoons and Underdog cartoons.

sroeser

Auditioning
Real Name
Stefan
It's also interesting to see the show adapt new technology/tools as they were accepted by actual fire fighters/emts/paramedics like the collapsible stretcher and the jaws of life.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
One thing that stuck with me was on the pilot movie when they showed a fire hose up close. I know I saw that as a child in the 3rd or 4th grade but I forgot the looked like that closeup. Jack Web was really on to something with that method of storytelling. More than just blood and guts.

Firebee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan

The other thing I love about shows like this and ``CHiPs'' is that they're veritable slices of automotive history...just look at all the cars as the paramedics drive around or Jon and Ponch...classic! One episode I saw a Plymouth Superbird, which I'd only known about about b/c of the Gran Turismo video games and there it was on the street as Roy and John drove by, in real life! :)

Firebee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan

Nice! Mine will likely ship either tomorrow evening or Monday from Amazon, and arrive here on Tuesday. Along with ``JAG'' S5 and ``Groundhog Day: 15th Anniversary Edition''
Psych! :)

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I got my set and watched the first two episodes last night. While neither of these episodes were particularly memorable for me, I noticed that both contained the syndication opening and both were also in pretty rough shape. I love this show so much that I'm in for the duration no matter what, but if is the amount of effort that Universal is going to put in to it, then why can't we get more frequent releases? To date they have spent little or no effort to improve the transfer, provide the correct opening credits, or supply any extras even though the two main stars are still with us.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

Eric, I completely agree with you on this set; Universal has, once again, gone the cheap route, particularly as far as the transfers are concerned . . . . really not much better than watching them on TV Land. Even Paul Mavis of DVD Talk, who genuinely likes the show (and gave it a "highly recommended" rating), commented negatively about the condition of the prints used for this show here:

DVD Talk Review: Emergency! - Season Four

Also, in addition to Randolph Mantooth and Kevin Tighe, of the five starring cast members Robert Fuller (Dr. Brackett) is still very much with us . . . .

Site map

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Thanks for the reports fellas. Still, I'll be in line with the rest of the lemmings on this one...purchasing another Universal TV release of a classic show.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I have a question. I haven't started watching season 4 (I have it, but I'm bogged down with something else at the moment). Is this the season where the guy swallows the beer tab? Remember in the 70s lots of folks used to put the pull top taps from sodas and beer in the can before they took their first drink. I distinctly remember an episode of Emergency where they had to answer a call where a guy had swallowed one of the taps.

Not long after the episode aired, removable pop top tabs became a thing of the past.

A side thought on the syndicated versoins of some episodes. Universal has been pretty good when it comes to Emergency, so I'm wondering if maybe the original uncut versions of those episodes may have been lost? Its' certainly a possibility.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Brian, I think that episode informed a lot of people. It is the one episode I've never forgotten because I almost always think about it when I see a can tab of any kind.

It's season 5 episode 3. (I did have to look that up, didn't remember that much, heh heh). Called "Election". That one made me worry about my beer drinking dad who always did just what the dude in the episode did.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian

Thanks! NOw I have something to look forward to for season 5. I never forgot that episode either. After that I stopped putting my can tabs in the can.

Real Name
warren
Sorry to be slightly off topic.

Does anyone know if Universal have dropped the dual layer format for season one. I believe they have dropped the dual layer formats from the other seasons because of a fault which causes the dvd to freeze.

I live in OZ and i purchased season one from the US when it first came out. I had the problem of the dvd freezing on usually the last episode. I returned the dvd and got a replacement but had the same problem but it was on disc side 2 the last episode crash.

I contacted Universal about a replacement but they wouldn't replace it because i am not a USA resident sigh.

So i would like to know if they have changed the format for season one. I t will cost me more money to get a working copy.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
You're welcome. Same here. But my dad kept drinking his brewskis with those tabs inside, the dope! He lucked out though. At 70 he doesn't drink beer anymore.

Each set of this series is something to look forward to, but S5 for that episode especially. Can't wait!

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I'm not aware of any format changes for Season 1. I wish that Universal would go back and re-visit some of these sets because I have held out on countless sets for this very reason including "Alfred Hithcock Presents", "The Munsters", and countless movies sets.

At least they finally came to their senses, I just wish that they would go back and correct their mistakes.

Real Name
warren

So have they rectified the problem with the faulty disc. They must be still making them so i imagine the fault must have been rectified.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick

Oh hell no. They are just selling the existing stock that has not sold. If its on DVD-18, its still the original pressing. Best Buy has all but stopped stocking any of those Universal problem shows. You wont find Columbo season 3, Adam-12 season 1, Emergency season 1, McCloud, and the list goes on. Cause most likely if they did have stock, its rotted on the shelf anyway.

Real Name
warren

Oh well i will just have to live with the fact that i cant watch one episode of Emergency which is appropriately named crash.

All i can hope for is for a release of Emergency in Australia. But so far it hasn't been released which is a real surprise considering the show was very popular here.

BobSchneider

Second Unit
hey is the s4 on single side dvd or flippers? I got s1 on on flippers and its very fiffy , lots of freezes and macro blocking. Just curious are all the seasons flippers and what season did they go single sided?:frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks