What's new

Emergency! Season 3 (1 Viewer)

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member

I own a ton of Uni discs and have many friends and co-workers that do also and we still believe as he does.
One or more of 3 issues often comes into play with DVD-18's: 1.) A Players abiliity to read over small unremoveable scratches and smudges on a disc which greatly effects dual layer discs. Also Dual sided discs are more prone to getting Scratches and smudges. 2.) The Discs were loose in shipping and received small scratches from moving around. 3.) The tightness of the spindles holding the discs in place and how rough an individual is in removing them. This can cause damage to the layer glue and often explains why a disc played at 1st and does not later on. I'm not claiming that these 3 reasons cover all the DVD-18 problems but they do cover the majority of them.
Moving forward its good that Universal and most other studios have stopped using DVD-18's for those having problems with them.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone heard about any news as to when the third season is being released? Best Buy has season 1 on sale for $19.99 this week ... and I don't want to purchase the sets if the series has been abandoned ...

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I finally broke down and bought S1 since it was so cheap at Best Buy this week. For $19.99, I'll take my chances on getting a playable disc. However, that was only part of the equation. In several other threads people have stated that they have had less problems with boxes that don't have the infamous "Made in Mexico" sticker on the box. I sifted through the five copies on the shelf and three had this sticker and the other two did not. I picked on of those and have my fingers crossed.

To Randy, Jesse, and the other supporters of this format. I appreciate the fact that you have not had problems with these discs, but the tone you use is very insulting. I apologize if I have ever come off so, but this situation has had me extremely frustrated for more than two years now. There have been dozens and dozens of cases of problems with these discs in multiple forums all over the internet. If you have something to add to the conversation, I'm all for it, but to just say "These discs are fine" comes off as extremely insulting. I'm an engineer for a living and I know the difference between good & bad product (It's my job), and if I were to release a product with this kind of defect rate (Be it user error or not), I would be out of a job. To rationalize these problems due to player compatibility (while this may be factual on some levels) is not proper justification. On the back of my "Emergency S1" box there is statement that says "This product is compatible with ALL DVD players". Even if I had never had a single problem, I know that I would still be nervous, because every player will sooner or later be replaced. Those discs that work great today, may not work so great tomorrow (This has been evidenced many times in other threads, where these discs appeared to work on older players, but not newer players (Pretty disturbing in my book!). On some level, Universal is not telling the truth and apparently they have figured out the problem, since they are going away from the format. All that myself and others have asked is that they look into the problem, be open about it, and fix it. This could merely be a quality problem, in which case fix it, offer a replacement program, and continue using the format. Instead, they have been completely mum throughout the entire episode.

That said, I'm very curious as to whether your discs have the infamous "Made in Mexico" sticker?

I hope that Universal continues with this series, but I also can't help but think they have dug their own grave to some extent. By continually ignoring consumer complaints and without issuing a single press release during the problem and then by quietly discontinuing the use of the format. When customers get bad product, they should not have expend great deals of effort or any money to get replacement product.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Let's hope more seasons of Adam -12 and Dragnet aren't far behind! And how about including the Short-Lived spinoff SIERRA as a "Bonus" :D

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

Thanks for the great information, Charles . . . good things happen to those who are patient! Did you happen to notice that the season will be released on five single-sided discs? Looks like Universal got the message and is listening a little more to the fans!

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I bought season 1, skipped the second because of the DVD 18 thing. Looks like i am back for season 3 however! Good job Universal for going single sided.

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter

Me neither! How dare they add yet more discs than are needed! I was happy letting the double-sided discs live in my 300 disc DVD jukebox, but 5 discs is just too much clutter. I'll pass.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I'm not going to buy it either. Stupid round discs! I'm so tired of everyone wanting round discs!!

Firebee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
I'm happy they announced Season 3, too...can't wait to add that to my collection. Am just waiting for Amazon to put the pre-order listing up.
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
Season 3 appears to have the episode I remembered seeing as a young kid, where Gage or DeSoto (can't remember which) has a cobra spit venom in his eyes. I will buy it just for the nostalgia; that was a great episode!

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Same here. Do you still have the matchbox paramedic truck? :) That show left me with a lot. I'll never forget the one about the guy who chokes on a pull tab from a can a beer. Hell, my dad drank beer and put that tab in the can just like on the show. Scared the crap out of me. I've been avoiding buying these hoping they recall them and release something that works. :frowning:

I had problems with the Hammer set from Universal on both my set top and PC. Very annoying. Also, one episode from WB's Gilligan's Island Sea 3 skips. 3x4. "The Producer". Happens when Ginger sings her song in the play. Anyone else have this problem? I wrote WB and they said to take it back to WalMart. Mine doesn't have anymore and I sent the receipt to WB for a rebate. :frowning: I'll rebuy that sucker if I have to since they are now only $20. Otherwise, no problem at all with the Gilligan sets.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks