What's new

Embarrassing- cat sprayed my AVR 7200 (1 Viewer)

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
Isopropyl alcohol (spray if possible -- use a lot) is as good a cleaner for something like this as anything along with a toothbrush scrubbing. Watch out for the power filters. Remove bottom covers to get any drippage on the bottom of the boards. Don't forget the front panel board (there's usually a microprocessor on it). If nothing else a good cleaning will remove most of the odor and corrosive materials so a servicer might be willing to work on it and have a fair chance of success.

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
Isopropyl alcohol (spray if possible -- use a lot) is as good a cleaner for something like this as anything along with a toothbrush scrubbing. Watch out for the power filters. Remove bottom covers to get any drippage on the bottom of the boards. Don't forget the front panel board (there's usually a microprocessor on it). If nothing else a good cleaning will remove most of the odor and corrosive materials so a servicer might be willing to work on it and have a fair chance of success.

JackS

Supporting Actor
Pus- Don't hold me to this please because I can't be absolutly sure. WD-40 displaces water and leaves a non-conductive residue in it's place. Before giving up, I'd drench the receiver with a spray can of WD-40, let it sit for a few minutes, than wipe as clean as possible with a soft cotton cloth. This would be better than doing absolutly nothing. You might note any type of adhesive inside the case and try to stay clear becarse the WD-40 may also have some dissolving properties. If you can't find a reasonable answer, this may be a last resort.

JackS

Supporting Actor
Pus- Don't hold me to this please because I can't be absolutly sure. WD-40 displaces water and leaves a non-conductive residue in it's place. Before giving up, I'd drench the receiver with a spray can of WD-40, let it sit for a few minutes, than wipe as clean as possible with a soft cotton cloth. This would be better than doing absolutly nothing. You might note any type of adhesive inside the case and try to stay clear becarse the WD-40 may also have some dissolving properties. If you can't find a reasonable answer, this may be a last resort.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
No. The residue from the urine is composed of salts that are water soluble and not soluble in solvents. Maybe somewhat in isopropyl, but I'd try plain old water (get the distilled stuff used in steam irons) and do my best at blotting it up with the Pampers. I'd have suggested Depends but people would give you strange looks.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
No. The residue from the urine is composed of salts that are water soluble and not soluble in solvents. Maybe somewhat in isopropyl, but I'd try plain old water (get the distilled stuff used in steam irons) and do my best at blotting it up with the Pampers. I'd have suggested Depends but people would give you strange looks.

Robert Hoffman

Stunt Coordinator
What about doing what you can to fix the smell, and then returning it and claim ignorance about why it doesn't work? You've got nothing to lose...

Robert Hoffman

Stunt Coordinator
What about doing what you can to fix the smell, and then returning it and claim ignorance about why it doesn't work? You've got nothing to lose...

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
If you try to clean this yourself, don't use tap water. It could leave behind minerals that might create a conductive path and lead to a short. If you use water do as Chu recommends and get distilled water.

Better yet, find a friend at a University lab and get some "18 mega-ohm" water -- purified water with essentially no contaminants.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
If you try to clean this yourself, don't use tap water. It could leave behind minerals that might create a conductive path and lead to a short. If you use water do as Chu recommends and get distilled water.

Better yet, find a friend at a University lab and get some "18 mega-ohm" water -- purified water with essentially no contaminants.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
" I'd have suggested Depends but people would give you strange looks."

"Even stranger looks if he told them what he was going to use them for! "

Careful you two. Word might get around and adult undergarments might become the new green stripe or magic bricks for StereoSnobs everywhere.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
" I'd have suggested Depends but people would give you strange looks."

"Even stranger looks if he told them what he was going to use them for! "

Careful you two. Word might get around and adult undergarments might become the new green stripe or magic bricks for StereoSnobs everywhere.

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
I second the recommendation on distilled water. Regular tap water can cause even more problems. The most important thing to do is to "water down" and dilute the acidity of the cat urine.

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
I second the recommendation on distilled water. Regular tap water can cause even more problems. The most important thing to do is to "water down" and dilute the acidity of the cat urine.

Users who are viewing this thread