What's new

Elvis 30 #1 Hits "only" sold 15.000 copies! (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I still have to believe that the majority of Stones remasters have been bought by people who have no idea what SACD is and have no interest in SACD. The Rolling Stones are tremendously popular, and there have got to be a lot of people out there who bought new Stones CDs just because they are new CDs.

We are all giving our feelings about what the sales figures mean. Regardless of what any of us think, unless we are talking about single-layer SACDs, we really do not know who is buying discs and how they are using them. All we are doing is speculating.

Ron S

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, Jesper! I will definately pick this up today, woohoo!

I've got VMPS RM40's for mains, and am still using nOrh 4.0's for surrounds. The VMPS LRC is a great center, but underpowered by my receiver (and not yet completely broken in). The mains are driven by a PSaudio HCA-2, and it does an admirable job. Once I address the surround and proper amplification issues, I'll be able to enjoy a 5.1 music setup better. For movies what I have is fine, so far. The mains are just worlds apart from the nOrhs (and should be, for the price!).

Ahh, King, here I come...

Brian-W

Screenwriter
Send me a PM or e-mail if you find anything. This is the final thing I will post regarding your so called issues and observations about myself. I am not going to get into a verbal battle on a public forum with someone obviously trolling for an argument, but will gladly address any issues you have with me privately.
I may have jumped the gun in labeling you (which I shouldn't have), but I am in no way trolling for an argument. It's pointless, and leads to nothing, nor am I that kind of person.

Your post asserting that the Stones CDs didn't sell based on SACD because it wasn't publicized, but that Elvis DVD-A which sold 15k without any publicity doesn't make sense. I guess we'll never know because of.....(see next line)

The bottom line is this: With any SACD hybrid disc, we'll never really know if the disc was being purchased for SACD or redbook. I think the only fair sales comparisons (apples to apples) would be DVD-A titles vs. SACD only (no hybrid layer) titles.

I have yet in all my searching been able to find accurate sales numbers for any DVD-A or SACD title.

I wonder if TRST reports cover audio titles?

Bill Leber

Stunt Coordinator

By the same token, you don't know how many DVD-A's were purchased for the DD track by people without DVD-A players. I don't have a DVD-A compatable player, but I purchased the Grateful Dead American Beauty DVD-A just to hear Mickey Hart's new mixes.

Jesper

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jesper Nielsen
The bottom line is this: With any SACD hybrid disc, we'll never really know if the disc was being purchased for SACD or redbook. I think the only fair sales comparisons (apples to apples) would be DVD-A titles vs. SACD only (no hybrid layer) titles.
Brian,
I disagree here.
IF The Stones SACD hybrid disc was intended to be sold as an SACD hybrid disc - why was there any label/signs on the frontcover, so the costumer can see what it is? When the customer pick a Stone SACD up he think he got an remastered cd (or something like that) and
that's a trick so they can show large SACD sales numbers - I just don't buy it! :frowning:
It's different with Elvis. On the front cover it says clearly that you can play it on all dvd players (DVD Audio logo) and now for the best part. This is written black on white - *WILL NOT PLAY ON CD PLAYERS OR CAR STEREOS*
As you can see people can't misunderstand it. And the sales number in this case has a great value for me. (read: No cheating)
Fianlly I hope, I didn't misunderstood the qouting...

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
By the same token, you don't know how many DVD-A's were purchased for the DD track by people without DVD-A players. I don't have a DVD-A compatable player, but I purchased the Grateful Dead American Beauty DVD-A just to hear Mickey Hart's new mixes.
Not really a similar argument, when you consider DVD-A were never marketd as DD discs. Actually it is not a similar argument simply due to the fact that DVD-A have yet to be marketed at all whereas the Stones did have some degree of public marketing (even if it was mainly for the CD layer). This Stones topic has been beaten to death now, and there will never be a clear answer.

J

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
How do the non hi-res tracks on those GD DVD-As sound? Are they nearly as good as the CD versions (fidelity-wise, not in terms of the remix)?

Brian-W

Screenwriter
that's a trick so they can show large SACD sales numbers - I just don't buy it!

It's different with Elvis. On the front cover it says clearly that you can play it on all dvd players (DVD Audio logo) and now for the best part. This is written black on white - *WILL NOT PLAY ON CD PLAYERS OR CAR STEREOSthat's a trick so they can show large SACD sales numbers - I just don't buy it!
How can it be a trick when a it's a hybrid disc?!?!?!?!

If it's a hybrid disc and plays on all CD players and also SACD players, there is no trick.

As Bill pointed out the DVD-A has a AC-3 track on it making it compatible with DVD-Video players. By your logic (as described for SACD), that could be interpreted to show large DVD-A numbers when in fact it's entirely possible that many sales were because it plays on DVD-Video players.

Again, we'll never know the "usage" of each sale. About the only way I can think of is if DVD-A and SACD hybrid discs came with a registration card that the buyer sent in with answers as to why he/she bought the disc.

Jesper

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jesper Nielsen
How can it be a trick when a it's a hybrid disc?!?!?!?!
If it's a hybrid disc and plays on all CD players and also SACD players, there is no trick.
You misunderstood me...
What I meant was; it's a trick when there is no label on the front cover that indicate the stone disc have sacd layer!
People think it's a cd!
Got it? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks