Elizabeth Taylor's "Cleopatra"

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jack Cleveland, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Jack Cleveland

Jack Cleveland Second Unit

I guess that's what I'll do... How does one contact Fox, in case I need to?

2. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    I will also agree that if you have to choose between the corrected DVD with music and the documentary, get the latter.

BTW, does anybody else watch the movie like I do? Whenever I get the urge to watch it, I stop at the intermission. I have found the portrayal of Antony to be that of a whiny baby which I tire of quickly.

I've got nothing against Burton and I've liked him in other films (just saw Becket, he was great), but in this role he was whiny, IMHO.

3. Douglas R

Douglas R Cinematographer

Doug

Yes. When Caesar dies, so does the film.

4. OliverK

OliverK Cinematographer

My feelings exactly - I wish they would have let the director make the two movies he originally wanted - the Cesar part was pretty good and might have been enjoyable in its longer version. The Anthony part of the movie I would never rewatch if it wasn't the second part of Cleopatra, therefore I already endured it three times. Burton really is not given much to work wth here - Anthony is portrayed as a really pitiful loser and to me seems more like Cleopatra's boy-toy than her partner. A painful sight.

5. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    It's nice to know I'm not the only one who feels this way.

6. David_B_K

David_B_K Advanced Member

David

I only sort of agree that the second half of Cleopatra is a dud compared to the first. I agree that the first is definitely better. Caesar is one of the most fascinating people of history, even 2,000+ years after his death, and Rex Harrison was tremendous in the part.

But I thought Burton did a great job as Antony in the second half. In many ways, Antony and Burton are similar people. Burton, IMO was one of the most talented and original actors of all time. His voice alone is one of the greatest ever. However, Burton will probably always be considered an actor who was greater in talent than his creative output showed. Such a talent should have been the next Olivier, but he squandered those talents in a lot of forgettable vehicles with Taylor, and died prematurely; old before his time. Likewise, Antony was a talented field commander who enjoyed the confidence of the greatest military man of the the age (Caesar). Antony squandered his talents on his own vainglory and will always be known to history as a man who did not live up to his promise (though he was no Caesar in any case).

I think those of you who feel "the film dies with Caesar" would feel the same way no matter how they did the second half. The truth IMO is that Caesar was more interesting historically than either Antony or Cleopatra. If you read a biography of Caesar, Antony does not appear until late in the Gallic wars, and Cleopatra is almost a footnote. However, Mankiewics chose to use Cleopatra as the anchor of the story, which sort of doomed it to a comparison between Antony and Caesar.

Highlights of Part two for me are: the scene on Cleo's barge, the scene where Antony is forced to kneel as a supplicant, Octavian's declaration of war, Antony's scene with Cleo after Actium, and Antony's suicide. The performances of Roddy McDowell, Martin Landau, Robert Stephens, Hume Cronyn, et al are also a big plus.

7. JohnOPR

JohnOPR Stunt Coordinator

I watched the documentary last night and found it extremely interesting and informative. Toward the end, it was mentioned that an effort was being made to find missing footage of the film, the end result of which would be to construct a six hour (plus) version of the movie, more in line with the original desire of Mankeiwics. Wonder if there's any chance this will ever happen?

8. Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell Screenwriter

Andy Budgell
    It's a dream of mine for the film to be restored to Mankiewicz' original vision. Hopefully someday . . .

Andy

9. Jack Cleveland

Finally received my 3 disc set- No one ever answered the above question, and unfortunately, my disc does not have the Exit Music-

Can anyone help me out?

10. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

Jack, try googling the customer service number for FOX. It's been a few years since I called so I don't remember...or try a search here on the HTF for Cleopatra. The number was in one of the posts. Hope this helps.

11. Jack Cleveland

Well, I called Fox and I was told that the title has been retired, but they would see if there was anything they could do for me.

So for now, no Exit Music, but I'm going to go ahead and start perusing what I have.

If anyone has any ideas, let me know.

12. Patrick H.

Patrick H. Second Unit

Jack, I'm in the same situation: had this for a while, but didn't realize the exit music was missing. Perhaps the two-disc version is correct? I've seen it floating around for pretty cheap, maybe even at WalMart...might be worth a shot.

I will admit, though, I got this primarily for the documentary, which has at least as much entertainment value as the movie. The amount of money, time, resources, reputations, and careers that got devoured by the production of this film is both astounding and harrowing.

13. Joe Fisher

Joe Fisher Screenwriter

Joseph E Fisher

The two-disc set is the corrected version. It has the exit music. I got a copy of it from Fox last year to replace my defective disc from the 3 disc set.

14. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

I'm asssuming that the Entr'Acte music is still on the first disc in the more recent edition?

15. Joe Fisher

Joe Fisher Screenwriter

Joseph E Fisher

You assume correctly. It is still on disc 1.

16. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Which version is the Five-Star Collection?

I too never got around to picking this up, though it's been on my want list for years.

Is there any chance that Fox is working on a new release with as much substantive extras as the original release?

17. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

The 5-Star editions were generally in double-thick Amray cases, and had reflective silver borders, with a * * * Five Star * * logo on the top, and THX logo on the bottom. The Sound Of Music was first released in this fashion, and so was the Die Hard Trilogy.

[​IMG]