What's new

Elizabeth Taylor's "Cleopatra" (1 Viewer)

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit
I have been wanting to buy this film for a while, but there are two different sets availlable according to Amazon. Does anyone know the difference in the two versions? Which one is the closest to the film's original presentation? And was this filmed in the Todd A-O process? Any help would be appreciated before I spend my money on the wrong one.

Thanks!

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
There are TWO Fox versions of the Liz Taylor Cleo.
They are both the same.
The original set was a three DVD set that included a third dvd with a long doc on the making of the film.
There is also a two dvd that is simply minus dvd three with the doc.

The picture quality is outstanding !!!!

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit
I was under the impression based on some comments from another posting (see the posting on "Oklahoma" currently under discussion that the film was remastered and reissued to correct some earlier problem. Was this not the case?

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
I believe the Intermission or Exit Music was missing and an exchange was offered for the disc that was affected. I don't know if any copies in circulation were actually recalled and replaced though.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

Yes, it had something to do with the placement of the music. I think that they included the Entr'e Act Music for disc 2 on the end of disc 1 if I remember correctly. Not exactly a travesty, but still much better if you have the corrected disc. Since replacement discs were printed, I'll bet that the more recent 2-disc set is correct, and it's a crapshoot on the original 3-disc set. That said, the documentary is absolutley incredible and well worth the price of admission alone.

Charles H

Screenwriter
The feature length documentary is outstanding. In fact, it is more substantive than the movie in its candor about CLEOPATRA's troubled history and its impact on Hollywood. Fox dvds are very blunt about the artistic and commercial shortcomings of their product (e.g. MYRA BRECKINRIDGE). The original release omitted the exit music from disc 2, and Fox sent a replacement disc.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
The first set omitted the Exit music, but that was corredted early in the game.

INtermission music was at the end of Disc One. Not a mistake as the film is so long and they wanted to split up evenly between the two discs.

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit
So if I'm reading this right, if I want to get the first set w/ the documentary on Disc 3, the problems have been corrected and I should get a great collectors set of "Cleopatra" with no problems. Correct?

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
My beef with the original 3-disc set is that there are NO CHAPTER STOPS for the documentary!!!! If you have to stop the player, the odds are you'll have to go back to the beginning. Fortunately, my present player has the ability to start up on a disc where you left off.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

Correct, but there is still a chance that you'll get an early pressing of the disc and have to exchange it through Fox. You might still be able to find the exchange program in an old thread on this forum if need be.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I asked this before, but I think the Intermission music should have been placed at the beginning of DISC 2, shouldn't it? Also, the film is 2.35:1 on disc...was it taken from reduction elements?

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit
After all this discussion, I'm finding that the 3 disc edition is now only availlable used through Amazon. They have no new copies availlable. I can still buy them, but I'm taking a chance the set could be any pressing, thus possibly getting the early pressing with no Exit Music. Decisions, decisions...

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff

Jack, this could work to your advantage. Ask the seller to look at the 2nd disk to see if it is the version you want.

Jay*W

Second Unit

I couldn't agree more with Andy. The documentary is fantastic. If anyone wants to see how far AMC has fallen, just watch the Cleopatra documentary followed by a more recent Backstory episode. It's like going from watching a PBS documentary program to a tabloid show on E!

Jay

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit
I went ahead and bought one of the 3 disc sets used on Amazon. If I don't have the exit music, I'll splurge and get the two disc set. It's only 11.99 on Amazon right now!!

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

I also agree. Truer words were never spoken. I've always been a bit of a fan of the film. I am interested in the history of the Roman Republic, and there are some great actors in the film. I knew the film had a troubled history, but when I saw the doc, I found it unbelievable that Fox didn't cut their losses and pull the plug on the film.

As others have said, the business with the entr'acte being on disc one is no biggie, IMO. Part two is longer than part one, even with the entr'acte on disc one. I pre-ordered my version, so I have the one with no exit music. However, to me that is not biggie either, IMO. I have owned versions of the film from its horrid 192 minute Magnetic Video VHS version to the laserdisc to this superb DVD. If you are a completist, I suppose you could get both.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
If the Exit Music isn't there, just call FOX. That's what I did, and they sent me the correct version.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
I stumbled onto a used copy of the 3-disc and gladly bought it. Looking forward to many fun hours with this set.

Isn't it sad the way many good releases are gutted over time: first they strip out the extras, then they crunch the movie down to one disc, then they release it again later with horrid cover art, and then make it FS only.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks