What's new

Elite VSX43, or 53? (1 Viewer)

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
I am currently running a VSXd709s that I love but want PLII and EX,Es. I have been looking on the net but can't make my mind up, I wanted to find a VSX45 but they are all used and are few. So would I be happy with 43, or will I be sorry I did not atleast buy the 53?
The 43 can be had for under $500, and the 53 for around $700. Would it be worth the extra mony to buy a 53 or should I go with a used 45 for around $700.?
Please help me!!!!!

Wes

Don Barduca

Stunt Coordinator
If you feel you can manually configure the MCACC then go with the 43tx, $200 can buy all your interconnects. If you would prefer to have the receiver do it then go with the 53tx (especially good for the time savings if you change your room layout frequently, or have a job that requires you to move often). [I like the 45tx better than the 53tx (solely for the better remote and RS232C for a POSSIBLE upgrade), but would feel better purchasing a new unit as you can get with the 53tx, unless the used 45tx is a floor model in a A/V shop with full Manufacturer's warranty.]

My 2 cents.

GregGas

Auditioning
I was also debating between the same two receivers and finally decided to go with the 53TX. As long as they have the same processing power and amp. The better remote and USB input didn't mean much. I purchased mine at mydigitaluniverse.com for $674.00 new. I should have it by Monday, can't wait to connect my B&W's.

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
The specs show an Illuminated Smart LCD Remote, is it the same remote the VSX45 had?

Wes

Wayde_R

Stunt Coordinator
I was also in the running for the buying either the 43 or 53.

One difference that hasn't been mentioned here is the extra structural integrity of the 53. I don't know how relevent it will be to sound quality but the 53 has extra brackets inside to hold the whole thing together a little tighter. This makes it a more solid build.

I doubt this does a thing to the sound. But I like this in something that I believe I am going to keep for 10+yrs. Especially if you're likely to move a few times.

Is it worth multiple hundred for the bracket and remote? To me, yes. I have to believe they put the extra structure into the 53 for a reason.

BTW; instead of the Pioneer Elite (which I came very close to buying) I bought an Arcam AVR200 instead for about the same price. It seemed more geared toward music.

Don Barduca

Stunt Coordinator
Wayde_R,

I never heard anything about a major structural difference between the 43tx and the 53tx. I know the 55txi has a more rigid chassis, but the 53tx has the same chassis as the 43tx & 45tx as far as I've heard. The 45tx & 53tx do have "dual layering" on some item, like the tranformer or something, where the 43tx has single, but I doubt that produces a big sound difference. Plus the remotes for the 43tx and 53tx also look the same. (Maybe the 43tx's remote wasn't a "smart" remote?)

Wayde_R

Stunt Coordinator
Interesting, I had a 'bracket' pointed out on the 53 that didn't exist in the 43. I guess the tale of the tape on these otherwise identical machines would be a weight comparison.

I could be wrong about this structural difference.

Don Barduca

Stunt Coordinator
I beleive there are differences, just not dramatic ones. The 53tx weighs about the same as the 43tx (~38), with the 45tx being about 3 lbs. heavier I beleive (~41). I've seen owners post the weights before on avs but I don't remember the exact weights.

Clarence_T

Auditioning
I am considering upgrading from my Onkyo 787 to either an Elite VSX43 or 53. There is about a $200 difference on line. I see the difference with the MCCAC, but what else is lacking from the older 43 to the newer 53? Does the 43 have OSD, input renaming, etc... ? I would like to place an order this Monday.

I am looking to upgrade to add:

-DPLII, DTS NEO, etc
-I have had problems with the 787 shutting down at higher volumes during DVD playback

I am also planning on getting an extended warranty since Pioneer does not warranty items purchased from non-authorized dealers.

Steve F M

Screenwriter
Personally I would go with the 45TX which is identical to the 53TX and can be had for a few hundred dollars less.

Steve F M

Screenwriter
If you don't mind Ebay you can usually find one for about $600-$650? The Auto-MCACC is a very nice feature!

Don Barduca

Stunt Coordinator
Clarence,

First off, stay away from ebay. I've bought a lot of things on ebay, but by and by Ebay is a crock. Rarely does a transaction give the "mint" merchandise you expect and obviously there is rarely any recourse for the buyer. In fact I was recently involved as a 'witness' of sorts during an ebay investigation where at least 8 others paid for various A/V receivers, all from different sellers, and never got them. Oops! So sad, ebay in the end did nothing for those people. I was involved because I was smart/wary enough to figure out the scam and cancel my bids. A purchase of that size is riskly enough though an e-tailer.

Second, out of the 43tx and the 53tx; go with the 43tx unless you don't feel comfortable attempting the EQ setup yourself. If that is the case, I wouldn't feel the least bit hesitant on spending the extra $200 for the piece of mind the auto EQ on the 53tx offers. And it doesn't suprise me that even discontinued the 45tx continues to be more money than the 53tx. Frankly, the 53tx doesn't boast anything the 45tx didn't have, it even lost the backlit LCD remote, the RS-232 port, the USB connect, and the phono port. And all it gained was the ability to upconvert s-video to component (which many videophile's try not to use anyway because they would rather skip the receiver 'middle man' and go straight to the monitor ,or already own sources that have component outputs and don't need s-video) and the lip sync feature which is only handy if you have a very large room with a screen projector (which most buying a sub $1000 receiver do not.) Many will argue all the 45tx pros, with exception to the remote which is definitely a plus, but overall the 45tx is the better machine.

Hope this helps. My vote: 43tx

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks