What's new

Elite DV45A Owners - PLEASE READ, VERY IMPORTANT!!! (1 Viewer)

Jon_Welker

Second Unit
Basically the short of it is the Elite DV45A does not play the Metallica black album DVD-A correctly. It does not output the center channel or the .1 (LFE). See the link below for full details. After checking connections, setup menus, the dealer's display, I can safely say that there is a problem with the DV45A and this disc. Now, I am interested to see how widespread this problem is. Does anyone else out there have the new Metallica DVD-A (black album) and the DV45A, or willing to buy the disc (on sale at BB for $14.99) to perform further unscientific testing? Any feedback or responses would be greatly appreciated. Who knows what DVD-A's in the future could be affected by this same issue. I already have my dealer going through their Pioneer channels for a possible firmware, or other, resolution. Also, another note, my unit and the dealer's display were both manufactured in July '02.

Please check out this thread link for full details:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...67#post1604067

Guy R

Auditioning
Well I interrupted listening to the Alison Krauss New Favourite SACD to check this one out. I have all speakers set to large and I get FULL subwoofer as well as a centre channel. Lots of drums actually in the centre during "Enter Sandman". I have had the 45a since just about the first week it came out and the Metallica disc since the Tuesday it was released. I have never had any problems with my 45a on anything.

Scott O'Keeffe

Stunt Coordinator
It simply comes down to bass management. The Black Album is very heavy in terms of L/R, most, if not all, bass is mixed into those channels. If you do not route the bass to the sub via BM, then you will not hear too much bass if you have small satellite speakers.

I just plopped it in my 45A and all speakers are active and the bass is definitely there. Now, it is there because the BM is routing L/R bass info to the sub via the analog BM built into the Outlaw 950.

There might be *some* bass in the .1 channel, but it is defiitely not enough. Full range speakers you might be ok, but if you have small you definitely need some sort of BM.

Time for a 950 or an ICBM.

Hope that helps!

Guy R

Auditioning
Well I have full range and it sounds great. When you are talking about playing hi-rez surround that is the only way that you should play it. In most cases that is the way it was mixed. Think how you would set up stereo (before multi-channel) and times it by 5. That is reality.

Scott O'Keeffe

Stunt Coordinator
Full range speakers you might be ok, but if you have small you definitely need some sort of BM.
You might be ok meaning the way the Black Album was mixed. It is definitely light in the .1 channel.

I definitely agree, Guy, if have you have the ability, go full range. :D

Jon_Welker

Second Unit
Alright, hold the presses! A member over at avsforum.com got me going down a path with a solution to this. OK, here's what happened. You can select Fixed or Variable in 2 places in the setup menus on the DV45A. Under Audio Settings and under Initial Settings>Speakers>Channel Level. At first when I selected between Fixed and Variable via the the Audio Settings option, it did not make a difference in outputting the center or lfe. Now, I went into the second route, Initial Settings>Speakers>Channel Level, and was prompted to adjust the dB level for each speaker. I turned them all up to 3.0dB, and the sub up to 6dB. Played again, and it was like turning on a light switch. Bam! subs kicked in as did the center channel. Also, made sure all the speakers were set to Small. Now, either through the Audio Settings or the Settings>Initial Settings>Speakers>Channel Level set to Fixed, all 5.1 work like they should, even if it is not set to Variable. I'm not a technical genius with this stuff, so maybe someone else can give a reasonable explanation. But, it does play like it should now after setting those dB levels it seems like.

Now, yes I do feel like somewhat of a schmuck for raising such a stink about this, but at the same time when you have one DVD-A disc (Disturbed) that plays like it should, and another that doesn't with your current settings, you have to scratch your head a little. And, when you put the Metallica disc in another DVD-A capable player and it plays no problem, it raises some natural red flags. Also, I'm sure I will not be the only person belonging to this forum that will run across the same issue regarding the DV45A. So, yes, I do apoligize for raising such a stink, but, at the same time, I feel that this will provide some benefit in terms of awareness to a larger community, especially those that are not experts with this stuff. Also, EVERYONE at the Elite dealer confirmed my previous diagnosis of the DV45A having issues with this disc, and they "should" know this equipment as well as anyone. Well, thanks everyone for your help in resolving this issue. BTW, the actual mix on the disc is sounding pretty cool now that I can listen to it in full 5.1. Thanks again and take care. I also posted this same update on the original thread that I started in the Music Area section.

Guy R

Auditioning
You shouldn't feel bad. It's not "brain surgery" but sometimes it is close to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks