What's new

Eliminating Red Push on 36XBR800 (1 Viewer)

Brent Hutto

Supporting Actor
My brand-new 36XBR800 has a little more red push than I can get used to. I don't (yet) have a service manual and am loathe to go into the service menu while the set is under warranty. However, if I knew how to go in, change that one parameter (AXNT?) and get back out again safely I would probably do it.

I've seen posts for various XBR's but am hoping that someone familiar with the service menu for the 36XBR800 might be willing to post idiot-proof instructions for this one, tiny change. Or should I just forget about it since I'm so nervous. It's my impression that one false movie in the service menu and you can do unfixable damage that also happens to void the warranty.
With my original Panasonic RV31 the red on Avia's color test screen was only +15% (green and blue were slightly below zero). However, for some reason with my new progressive-scan RP82 the red is up to +25%. I noticed the unnaturally ruddy faces pretty often with the old DVD player so if this one is worse, well that isn't acceptable.

Brent Hutto

Supporting Actor
Using the method Allan pointed to on the Keohi site, I set RYR to 12. And BTW, my 36XBR800 defaulted to 8 for that parameter rather than 6 as specified in the Keohi tip. Also, the menu name was "2170P-4" on my set.

Anyway, after recalibration with Avia the following improvement was noted:

Red +15% (was +25%)
Blue -5% (was -10%)
Green -10% (unchanged)
Much better but still not perfect. I suspect with the old RV31 this would be close to dead-on. For some reason the RP82, at least on progressive mode, produces more red push on this TV than the RV31.

I'm tempted to go ahead and move RYR to 15, which is the maximum. The Keohi instructions said change it from 6 to 12 (doubling it) so since mine was defaulting to 8 maybe I need to go all the way to 15.

No smoke came from the TV, so maybe I should quit while I'm ahead...

Brent Hutto

Supporting Actor
I couldn't resist -- went ahead and set RYR to 15 (maximum). The clicks from 13-14 and 14-15 were having noticable effects on all the color bars on the Avia "Blue Bars" screen so I think a setting of 13 would be a good, conservative choice. For now I'm sticking with 15, though.

Results? I now have +5% Red, -5% Blue and Green is between -5% and -10%. My goal was to get everything within plus or minus 5% and I think I've basically done it.

I played a couple short sections of Fellowship of the Ring and the ruddy faces are gone. Skin tones are light brown rather than light reddish-brown. There is just a hint of yellowish on certain faces in certain lighting. It may be that such an extreme setting of RYR causes too many side effects and that I'll end up moving it back down to 13 or 14. I won't decide until I've had time to get used to the lack of extreme red.

The overall color of various scenes is much improved, even at first glance. And still no smoke. One day I'll get brave and see if I can dial out my slight horizontal bow and maybe the 6% overscan on the left side.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks