What's new

Eliminating bars (1 Viewer)

JeffLl

Agent
Maybe this is silly but why are TVs only 16X9 when DVDs are usually 2.35:1 or 1.85:1 and we have bars anyway? I'm new to HT and I had thought a 16x9 would be a fullscreen experience with no bars.

Bryce Miner

Stunt Coordinator
You should have bars on 2:35:1 material not on 1:85:1.

You can build mattes to cover up the bars.

JeffLl

Agent
Please explain how to remove bars from 1:85. I would have posted this in the newbie area but I saw others were moved to here.

JeffLl

Agent
Let me clarify..I saw some threads about mattes but not about why i have bars on 1.85:1

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
The 16:9 ratio is the standard set for HDTV after an international debate among professionals in the industry; I believe the final standard was promulgated by the Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers ("SMPTE"), but if I'm wrong about that, someone will correct me.

A key factor underlying the decision was the recognition that films come in many different shapes, so that no matter what standard was chosen, one size could not fit all.

I'm new to HT and I had thought a 16x9 would be a fullscreen experience with no bars.
A misconception so common that it has its own chapter in our Beginner's Primer and FAQ. Use the link in my signature.

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks