What's new

Elektra Director's Cut in NOVEMBER (1 Viewer)

Guido

Stunt Coordinator
THE LADY IN RED

Elektra director ROB BOWMAN talks comic-books and criticism with Matt Chapman

Dreamwatch: Is this Elektra the same character we saw In Daredevil or has she changed?

The difference from the Elektra in Daredevil is that the requirements of her in that movie are completely different than in Elektra. That was about her love of Daredevil and her change from being a sweet girl to rage because of the death of her father. But you don't really learn much about her and my movie is all about her internal darkness.

You researched the original Greek myths of Elektra, which of those aspects appear in the story?

I knew of Elektra from Greek mythology because I'd read Sophocles and then I read Frank Miller's comics and it seems like it was derivative of the original stuff. So I went back again to the Greek authors who wrote about her and I wanted to know what the true origins of the character were so I could stay true to that. Frank Miller did a beautiful job of reintroducing her, the problem is that she looks like a hooker and it's all about murder and sex. By contract I was obligated to make a PG13 movie. And Jennifer is a sweet woman and I didn't want to put her in a hooker's outfit.

How do you answer the harsh criticisms of the movie?

I actually thought the critics would like it because I did not make a visual effects spectacle movie. It wasn't just dripping with computer work. I thought I was making a much more independent film version of a comic-book. I stopped reading reviews when one said: "Why does Hollywood make big budget comic-book movies..." and I didn't have a big budget, I had $43 million. I had half the money of Daredevil, probably a third or quarter of the money of Spider-Man - maybe less. Nobody ever said "Good job" on making it look like it cost more than $43 million. I got nothing to say I had six weeks of prep and 10 weeks to shoot the movie and nothing to say I posted the whole film in four months. I think my reaction to their words is they were inaccurate. Or maybe the movie should have cost $100 million, I have no idea. I'll always be proud of it and I did a director's cut that will be coming out in November. That is an R-rated movie, it has things that were removed to get the PG13 rating. It's not I8 minutes longer, but in many parts of the movie it's a little different. The music is different in some parts and I don't feel obligated to have this adrenalized pace that I know some people think is important for a theatrical movie.

Does that come from test screenings?

We only tested the movie one time and the test was extraordinary. We had teenage girls and boys and their mothers, and every one of them absolutely loved the movie. They thought it was far better than Spider-Man and far better than typical comic-book movies and they really understood what movie I'd made.

Why was Ben Affteck's scene as Daredevil deleted?

We shot it and ultimately the studio felt that it might be too much of a diversion at that point of the movie. But I never reinstated it into either the theatrical or the director's cut, I left it as a deleted scene.

Will there be a third movie, as was originally planned?

I think it's still on the cards, I haven't heard anything about it but I know that was always the plan.

My two cents:
I like this news because I think this was the most tamed down Marvel film outside of the X-Men movies in terms of being a big long adrenaline junkie MTV music video. So for him to say the DC will be less adrenaline paced, that's nice - maybe it really will be a good movie this time around. To hell with Marvel Producers or Fox producers or whomever thinks movies need to be techno-rock music videos - same thing happened with Daredevil - DC is like a totally different movie there too. Shame.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I really didn't like Elektra but I hope that the director's cut helps the movie. Probably only because I loved Rob Bowman's work on The X-Files so I'm rooting for him to turn this movie around a little bit:)

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
Who wants a director's cut from the guy who directed the "America: We Stand As One" music video? I keed, I actually thought "Elektra" was pretty decent and his work on "The X-Files" is an integral part of the show's history.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I was pretty disappointed in the theatrical cut. I'll wait for reviews of the director's cut before I decide whether or not to watch it. I thought the theatrical cut of Daredevil was decent, and the director's cut made it a bit better.

Rob T

Screenwriter
I'll be getting it even if it's only because I'm a completist in the Marvel movies area. :b

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I foresee it being the difference between different bathroom experience: 1) taking a shit, going to wipe, and finding a clean ball of toilet paper or 2) plopping down on the toilet and feeling your ass literally spill into the toilet bowl. A good film might be taking a nice hot, relaxing shower, for context.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
The Directors cut of Daredevil was far better then the theatrical cut. Hopefully the same goes for Elektra

capt

Chris Bergmann

Second Unit
The thing I hated most about the movie was how all the bad guys turned to green smoke when they were killed (maybe to get the PG-13 rating?) - if they change that it would be a big step in the right direction.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
I'll be interested at the very least. I never saw Elektra due to the unmitigated thrashing it received from all corners (critics, the new friends of mine who saw it, and the reaction of people here at the HTF), but if this Director's Cut is an improvement I may take a look. Daredevil was an enjoyable if forgettable flick in its theatrical form, but the director's cut was a true revelation and one of the better comic book movies I've seen.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
A new edition would make sense. The only extras on the current version are some behind the scenes clips that premiered on the internet to hype to movie.

Haven't seen this. I can't really say I have the desire to. I like Daredevil, but this just seemed to go in a completely different direction.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
To say I'm shocked that this is coming as a DC after the original release would be lying. I don't understand why. At one time Fox didn't do this kind of thing. Now, they've done it with The Day After Tomorrow, Man on Fire, I, Robot, the upcoming Alien v. Predator and I'm going to guess it's going to happen with Robots too. If you want to release two versions, fine. Just do it on the same day.

Anyway, I think I was one of the few people that liked the original cut of Daredevil but stayed away from Elektra (and Catwoman) because of the horrible reviews. I want to take a look at it, prolly as a rental.

Frank@N

Screenwriter

Instead of telling us how much longer it isn't, wish RB had told us how much longer it was.

Nevertheless, I thought RoF was ok and Daredevil DC was much improved.

Guess I'll keep a lookout for Electra DC.

MattMC

Agent
I'll see this. I didn't mind the original release but, as it has been said before, the DC helped Daredevil maybe Elektra will be better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks