What's new

Electrical questions. (1 Viewer)

Hey guys, we are moving into a new house pretty soon. One issue that was brought to our attention is that the wall sockets aren't properly grounded, we will eventually get everything up to par. In the mean time, what can I do to protect our valuable electronics? Will a standard surge strip do the job or do I need to look into something else? I was at the hardware store and didn't quite know what I was looking at lol. Thank you for any advice!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Surge are useless without a ground. Get one of these... http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-51120-1-Panel-Protector-240-Volt/dp/B00081K55Q/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1358713633&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=whole+house+surge+protector (no, not this one...hire an electrician and trust what they put in)

Yea, that's what I thought. The house inspector mentioned GFCI's as a temporary thing but we are definitely going to have an electrician come in. So no fancy pants strips or anything that will do any good without the plug being grounded already?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks