What's new

Electra Glide In Blue - Short Review (1 Viewer)

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
Viewed this recently and thought it looked like a good transfer. I was more interested in watching the movie than checking for any issues but nothing stood out as being objectional. Sound track sounded decent - it is listed as stereo surround. It is 16x9 enhanced ( 2.35 ) and the special features include a commentary by director James Guercio as well as an introduction by same - which I neglected to see. I thought it was above average overall and can't complain given how little I paid for it. Nice to finally see it in widescreen after all these years.:)

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor
Thanks Brent. Glad to hear MGM did a decent job with this catalog release. I'm looking forward to receiving my copy.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
I absolutely love this film, and cannot wait to receive my disc. Thanks for the heads up, and I'm very relieved that MGM not only did this right, but even included some extras! Who would have thought. :)

Chris

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
Christopher - The introduction by Mr Guercio runs 9 min & 32 secs. and his commentary was certainly informative. I listened only to parts of it but from what I heard he does manage to bring out numerous details regarding specific scenes where does speak as obviously it is not continuous. He has a straightforward approach but does seem to make it worth sitting through. It came out for instance that the film was shot for one million dollars and the principal photographer recieved Mr.Guercio's salary. He basically worked for free. And apparently the film did not go over very well with the Police Dept. in Scottsdale where they were to film ( someone gave them the script before filming began ) as they ended up " kicked out of town " to put it in his words and had to shoot it out in the surrounding countryside with no support. It was interesting.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
By principle photographer do you mean Conrad Hall?

I imagine that given this was the director's first film that he would've rellied heavily on Conrad Hall's vast experience.

I essentially pre-ordered this DVD because it is another Conrad Hall shot Panavision film ;-)

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan

According to interviews with Robert Blake, from around the time the film was made, Conrad Hall essentially performed as director on this film. It's been awhile since I read the quotes, but I recall Blake intimating that the inexperienced director (Guercio) did not have much control over the picture and it fell to Blake and Hall to take over, Blake working with the performers and Hall with the crew. He mentioned that Hall had designs on a directing career at this point. Guercio's claim to fame was as producer of Chicago, whose members appear throughout the film in various roles. Needless to say, I'm very interested to hear Guercio's commentary.

Jon Smith

Stunt Coordinator
And it was members of Chicago who performed the fabulous end song "Tell Me" right ?

9 min intro ? blimey !

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan

I believe so, but I don't have my vinyl copy of the soundtrack (in original shrinkwrap ;)) in front of me right now.

Jon Smith

Stunt Coordinator
i spent quite a lot on the vinyl just to get Tell Me, its probably one of my favourite songs ever.

It doesnt credit "Chicago" but im sure i read somewhere members from the band performed the song.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Was able to pick this one up early and was quite pleased with my purchase, especially considering it was under $10...one of those occasions where MGM truly shines. Watched the intro with director Guercio, which was quite informative, and the first fifteen minutes of the film--it looked great to my eyes. The source elements, as has been mentioned, were in good shape resulting in a very clean transfer with vibrant colors. It would be nice if they would include the original opening company logo, but that's a very small gripe. I think Conrad Hall would be pleased.

I still wish I'd have caught the new 35mm print that showed at the Brooklyn Academy of Music (BAM) several months back. Alas, it was part of a larger retrospective and only played for one day.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks